• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-risk investors have no legal backing

High-risk investors have no legal backing
    published: Sunday | December 2, 2007

Gareth Manning, Sunday Gleaner Reporter

Eaton
    Investors risk financial schemes stand to lose big, should the schemes crash, because participants will have no legal footing on which to recover their investments, according to attorney-at-law and University of the West Indies lecturer, Shirley-Ann Eaton.

In an interview with The Sunday Gleaner, Eaton, who is a former secretary of the Jamaica Bankers' Association, says while money lent to investment schemes can normally be retrieved in a court of law, this is not so in the case of the current high-yielding schemes. This, she points out, is because the law does not cover schemes offering excessive interest on money loaned.

Under Section Three of the the Money Lending Act and Money Lending (Prescribed Rates of Interest) Order of 2007, there is only provision for the recovery of loans that carry an interest rate below 40 per cent per annum in a court of law. This is far below the super interest rates many of the current investment schemes have been offering to their lenders - between 118 per cent and 120 per cent per year on principal amounts that start from a minimum of $100,000.

no resort
    "If the interest rate is more than 40 per cent per annum, it is unenforceable (and) I can't take you to court and sue you for the money I have loaned you. So it raises the question of whether there is even any private law remedy," explains Eaton.

Furthermore, these investors could also find themselves in prison if those schemes are found to be laundering money. According to Eaton, they make the perfect vehicles to launder tainted funds because unregulated and high-yielding, they operate through the formal system in order to make payments to their clients, which makes them desirable vessels for money launderers.

"I don't know of anywhere in the world where anybody is getting a return of 120 per cent per annum on any kind of investment," Eaton argues. "What if, wilfully or inadvertently, these schemes contain proceeds of crime? What if money being given to them actually is criminal proceeds?"
    According to the Financial Services Commission (FSC), there are over 20 "extremely high-yielding unregistered investment schemes operating in Jamaica".

Under the recently enforced Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering Prevention) Regulations, a person can be found to have committed an offence under the act if that person knows or believes or even has reasonable grounds for knowing or believing that those handling their funds are engaged in laundering.

imprisonment
    If convicted before a resident magistrate, that person could be ordered to pay a fine not exceeding $1 million or be sentenced to a term not exceeding one year or to both a fine and imprisonment. If indicted before a Circuit Court, however, that person could face imprisonment of up to 10 years and a fine.

In addition to prison terms for laundering, investors could face severe pressure from tax authorities. as under law they should be filing their tax returns.

"The question is, can the tax man get a reasonable fix on how much money these people are earning? And they can, if the money is being paid through the formal banking sector," Eaton states.

Tax Administration Department spokesperson Meris Haughton, while unwilling to disclose the approach being taken to recover the billions owed to it in income tax by these investors, noted that "all annual sums invested are taxable and we would not want to disclose exactly how we will recover those taxes".

FSC list of 'extremely high-yielding unregistered investment schemes'
    Caribbean Real Estate Investment Fund (CAREIF)

World Wise Partners Limited

Swiss Cash

Higgins Warner Music and Entertainment

MayDaisy E-Partner Plan Club

F1 Investments/F1 Holdings

A3 Union

Wealth Builder and Associates

Right Vision E-Partners Private Members Club

Strategical Alliance Investment Company

SGL Holdings

Partner Financials

Kingdom Investments Unlimited International (KIUI)

Image Consultants & Services

Nipo Farms

USIMO

Other investment schemes not Included because of court proceedings:
    Cash Plus Group

OLINT Corp. Limited

Overseas Locket International Corp.

LewFam Investments and Trading Limited

LewFam Investments Club

Note:
    1. The latter four operations have been served with 'cease and desist' orders. 2. Olint, LewFam and Cash Plus have filed action against the FSC, for which court rulings are pending.
    Last edited by Karl; December 2, 2007, 01:55 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Shirley-Ann, we know this. Now, leave us alone!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Had occcasion to attend the Jamaica Diaspora Investment Seminar in Diana, Florida yesterday and as it seemed to me the clear inference was the money used to pay the 'super interest' on investments with these companies...as there is no known method of generating such profits ever before in time since the current system of legalising the financial sectorsin various parts of the world...besides the movement of illegal funds into the legal framework...clear inference - illegal money was being introduced.

Banks are supposed to 'know there customers'...thus there is a responsibility to have reasonable cause to assume funds (cash, financial instruments, etc.) being received is from legitimate sources.

If there is no way it can be reasonably assumed that an entity and or person can consistently realise these 'super profits'...then it must be reasonable to assume that the funds being used to pay these 'supposedly super 'profits'/interest' are ill-gotten gains!
      Right?

Let me clearly state - Not one of the representatives from the financial institutions that engaged in the panel discussions at the seminar said the 'super interest' being paid were ill-gotten gains and or supported with ill-gotten gains...but, they all did say they could not reasonably assume the funds were being generated through legal channels.

I seem to remember Willi saying he has an idea or he sees how these 'super interest' could be gained, perhaps, Willi could share his thoughts on that with us?

I certainly would like to know as some 'super interest' would do me well!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Shirley-Ann, we know this. Now, leave us alone!
        The problem with what you just said is; if as you claim you are concerned with the level of corruption in our society...and, the attendant gun crimes perpetuated both by gunmen inside and outside of our security forces...then you how can you leave open an avenue such as this through which the gun criminal can 'rinse' his money...and move his blood money into the legal system?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          The problem with what you just said is; if as you claim you are concerned with the level of corruption in our society...and, the attendant gun crimes perpetuated both by gunmen inside and outside of our security forces...then you how can you leave open an avenue such as this through which the gun criminal can 'rinse' his money...and move his blood money into the legal system?
          All of a sudden u r concerned about corruption and blood money. One word fi yuh - TRAFIGURA

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

All of a sudden u r concerned about corruption and blood money. One word fi yuh - TRAFIGURA

..and, what is my position on TRAFIGURA? ...consistent position on TRAFIGURA?

Comment

You say that Trafigura takes place in both parties. But that is not like hitting out against it, yet yuh waan knock food outta people mouth. Put some muscle behind your Trafigura protest as you are doing here, that's all I am saying.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You say that Trafigura takes place in both parties. But that is not like hitting out against it, yet yuh waan knock food outta people mouth. Put some muscle behind your Trafigura protest as you are doing here, that's all I am saying.
                Not true that I did not hit out against it!
                Got back and take a look! ...my very first comment was agains it. I have not withdrawn that comment!

I have gone further than hitting out against it...I have lumped it with the 'bribes' taken by the parties from locals. I think my case was something like - iffen yuh tek bribe from farin aaar fram local - a bribe!

Comment

Both parties???

Where is the evidence of the JLP taking state bribes???

Leave out theory...practice is more powerful than precept!

If your Mama catches you with your hand in the cookie jar, how does it benefit you to say all your siblings do it too??? Which parent gonna fall for that? LoL

Now if JLP caught doing the same thing...string dem up too!!! State bribery is a very very serious thing.

Comment

But not like you are doing here. Did you mention blood money and such terms? You seemed quite restrained in your opposition of it, but quite unbridled about the schemes.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not true that I did not hit out against it!
                      Got back and take a look! ...my very first comment was agains it. I have not withdrawn that comment!

I have gone further than hitting out against it...I have lumped it with the 'bribes' taken by the parties from locals. I think my case was something like - iffen yuh tek bribe from farin aaar fram local - a bribe!
                      Most irresponsible cop out Karl.

Comment

Had occcasion to attend the Jamaica Diaspora Investment Seminar in Diana, Florida yesterday and as it seemed to me the clear inference was the money used to pay the 'super interest' on investments with these companies...as there is no known method of generating such profits ever before in time since the current system of legalising the financial sectorsin various parts of the world...besides the movement of illegal funds into the legal framework...clear inference - illegal money was being introduced.

Banks are supposed to 'know there customers'...thus there is a responsibility to have reasonable cause to assume funds (cash, financial instruments, etc.) being received is from legitimate sources.

If there is no way it can be reasonably assumed that an entity and or person can consistently realise these 'super profits'...then it must be reasonable to assume that the funds being used to pay these 'supposedly super 'profits'/interest' are ill-gotten gains!
                        Right?

Let me clearly state - Not one of the representatives from the financial institutions that engaged in the panel discussions at the seminar said the 'super interest' being paid were ill-gotten gains and or supported with ill-gotten gains...but, they all did say they could not reasonably assume the funds were being generated through legal channels.

I seem to remember Willi saying he has an idea or he sees how these 'super interest' could be gained, perhaps, Willi could share his thoughts on that with us?

I certainly would like to know as some 'super interest' would do me well!
                        Not all of them are the same. Most certainly are crazy. Cash Plus looks fishy.

Olint is interesting...I will give you one clue..."fractional reserve system" (refer to the US Federal reserve). No guarantee, but this one may just be legit, but wont last forever either.

Comment

Disagree Willi. When Robertson is going to tell John Public that he had no expenses for the election, then how is that different? The point is he is not willing to be forthcoming about where he got his money from, when the question did not even go that deep. Simply asking how much he spent and he has to lie, then what it they wanted to know the source?!?!

It would be quite naive and silly of us to act like the JLP does not take money from questionable sources and from people who expect govt. favours when they assume office. As much as I hit out against Trafigura and I am still doing so, it cannot be treated as an isolated event.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                            Both parties???

Where is the evidence of the JLP taking state bribes???

Leave out theory...practice is more powerful than precept!

If your Mama catches you with your hand in the cookie jar, how does it benefit you to say all your siblings do it too??? Which parent gonna fall for that? LoL

Now if JLP caught doing the same thing...string dem up too!!! State bribery is a very very serious thing.
                            Yuh young!

...but, if you mean Brucie's current JLP....give it time! As I have said, not once but a 'million times' we are 'one degree of separation'...and, that must mean tief and adda corrupt man and 'owman dem innah booaaat party dem!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              Not all of them are the same. Most certainly are crazy. Cash Plus looks fishy.

Olint is interesting...I will give you one clue..."fractional reserve system" (refer to the US Federal reserve). No guarantee, but this one may just be legit, but wont last forever either.
                              mmmm???
                              Will take a look! ...or, call you for your indepth thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X