• Show
Clear All

• JFJ Press Release

2 Fa gan Avenue
    Kingston 8
    Tel: 755-4524-6
    Fax: 755-4355

JAMAICANS FOR JUSTICE

Jamaicans for Justice is deeply troubled by yesterday’s brutal killing of Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Gilbert Kameka and Constable Valentino Chambers. We extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of these men. The killing of ACP Kameka and Constable Chambers should shake even the most cynical and hardened Jamaican and push us all to action.

That over1300 Jamaican citizens have lost their lives to violence this year is unfathomable and frightening. We are all negatively affected by the brutality of these deaths but must face this crisis of violence with soul-searching honesty and courage. We must vigorously guard against knee-jerk, rights-abrogating approaches to the problem that have failed so spectacularly in the past. It is time to develop a national consensus on the problem and for the articulation of a credible way forward which can get the buy-in of the majority, in a fashion which will drive them to action. The solutions to the problem are not going to be easy, are multifaceted and are not necessarily quick, but they are available.
    Jamaica must understand that a dual approach to safety and security – effective and efficient law enforcement and the provision of crime prevention programs to reduce the occurrence of crime – is needed. Real reductions in crime will be attained through more effective and efficient policing coupled with a greater ability to prevent crime
    As regards policing, we must begin to transform the Jamaican Constabulary Force into the Police Service of Jamaica that can effectively carry out its mandate to “serve, protect and reassure.” This transformation must include correcting the weaknesses of the present police accountability and oversight mechanisms. Jamaicans must insist on a police force with appropriate crime control and prevention strategies and adequate support systems.

The work of the police will need to be supported and strengthened by complementary social and economic policies. Crime is more than a security issue and crime prevention requires a concerted effort by government in partnership with civil society, business and community organisations and local government structures.

In addition, solutions will require the efforts of each and every Jamaican. The tasks are ours. We must begin to restore the morality that prevents participating in or encouraging unlawful activities. We must accept our own power and our own personal responsibility to be the change we wish to see, and exercise it, hold ourselves accountable and hold others equally accountable.

It is time that all Jamaicans work honestly and hard to ensure the right choices are made, that appropriate interventions are taken by the Government, by the business community, by civil society and by each citizen. If we do what we can do, we will succeed and the brutal killings in our nation will become a part only of the past.

-30-

For more information contact:

Carolyn Gomes: (876) 755-4524-6/382-8583 or David Wong Ken: (876) 381-2977/946-2284

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    JAMAICANS FOR JUSTICE
    Jamaicans for Justice is deeply troubled by yesterday’s brutal killing of Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Gilbert Kameka and Constable Valentino Chambers. We extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of these men. The killing of ACP Kameka and Constable Chambers should shake even the most cynical and hardened Jamaican and push us all to action.
    deeply troubled! what about outraged mosiah... i am sorry but deeply troubled doesn't cut it here... doesn't show a genuine disgust that a law enforcment officer can be gunned down in daylight as if its routine...

That over1300 Jamaican citizens have lost their lives to violence this year is unfathomable and frightening. We are all negatively affected by the brutality of these deaths but must face this crisis of violence with soul-searching honesty and courage. We must vigorously guard against knee-jerk, rights-abrogating approaches to the problem that have failed so spectacularly in the past. It is time to develop a national consensus on the problem and for the articulation of a credible way forward which can get the buy-in of the majority, in a fashion which will drive them to action. The solutions to the problem are not going to be easy, are multifaceted and are not necessarily quick, but they are available.
    Jamaica must understand that a dual approach to safety and security – effective and efficient law enforcement and the provision of crime prevention programs to reduce the occurrence of crime – is needed. Real reductions in crime will be attained through more effective and efficient policing coupled with a greater ability to prevent crime
    sounds like more of the same... where does this address the occurence of the slaying of the two police officers... sounds like more politicing... using the occasion to further an agenda... fear of police...

As regards policing,
    we must begin to transform the Jamaican Constabulary Force into the Police Service of Jamaica that can effectively carry out its mandate to “serve, protect and reassure.” This transformation must include correcting the weaknesses of the present police accountability and oversight mechanisms. Jamaicans must insist on a police force with appropriate crime control and prevention strategies and adequate support systems.

i don't know if carolyn gomes realise what she is proposing and the environment within which the police operate... lol... the police service of jamaica... not to say the police force doesn't need improvement because it does but i would seriously like to hear a recommendaton from the jfj on what would constitute a police force with appropriate crime control and prevention strategies...

The work of the police will need to be supported and strengthened by complementary social and economic policies. Crime is more than a security issue and crime prevention requires a concerted effort by government in partnership with civil society, business and community organisations and local government structures.

what is new here... more of the same rhetoric...

In addition, solutions will require the efforts of each and every Jamaican. The tasks are ours. We must begin to restore the morality that prevents participating in or encouraging unlawful activities. We must accept our own power and our own personal responsibility to be the change we wish to see, and exercise it, hold ourselves accountable and hold others equally accountable.

It is time that all Jamaicans work honestly and hard to ensure the right choices are made, that appropriate interventions are taken by the Government, by the business community, by civil society and by each citizen. If we do what we can do, we will succeed and the brutal killings in our nation will become a part only of the past
    carolyn gomes think she is writing a composition... the press release is the same mundane, generic rhetoric... this is an opportunity to offer a strongly worded press release expressing outrage at the brutal killing of law enforcement personnel and a call for the nation to take a stand against the killing of people and bring the perpetrators of these acts justice... afterall that is part of their name... jamaicans for justice... what happen to that part... disappointed with this press release... just my opinion...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Auuggghh Baddaz, there is no way the JFJ can please everybody.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

so where am i suggesting they please everybody... can any organization please everybody...

Comment

Baddaz, I have seen all sorts of press releases from the JFJ. Most have been the calmer variety. The JFJ and others have already put forth hundreds of recommendations for the police force. No need to reinvent any wheel, we just need to just DO!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
            so where am i suggesting they please everybody... can any organization please everybody...
            The JFJ is in a position of damn if they do, damn if they don't. If they didn't issue a release, some would be complaining that the JFJ is silent. They issue a release, some complain it isn't enough.

Dem simply need fi stick to the task at hand ... the detractors will continuously complain .. mek dem complain. The good works of organisations like JFJ, FAST etc are now bearing fruit ... note the moves being made by the Justice Ministry.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

thats partly my point mosiah... as you know mosiah, i've stated in the past that i support the jfj and i believe they play a vital role in justice advocacy for justice for jamaicans...

perhaps my expectation is warped but i believe the jfj is shortchanging themselves by limiting their advocacy to only questionable police brutality and killings of alledged innocent youths...

i strongly believe that a strongly worded release expressing outrage, condemation of the killings and a desire for apprehension and conviction of the perpetrators would have been more appropriate at this time...

Comment

lazie, seems as if you've never read my posts in support of the jfj over the years... once again it seems as if you are not understanding what i s being said... its not about silence or not enough... its about the context, content, pertinence and appropriateness...

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                  ...perhaps my expectation is warped but i believe the jfj is shortchanging themselves by limiting their advocacy to only questionable police brutality and killings of alledged innocent youths...
                  The right to life is the most sacred right of all. The JFJ does a lot more. Once again, thank the media for highlighting only that which they feel will interest readers/viewers.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                  X