Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Jamaica, SCJ too costly to keep, says Wehby

- Senator to propose cap on debt and deficit

Senator Don Wehby, Minister without portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and Public Service, is insisting that national airline, Air Jamaica and the Sugar Company of Jamaica (SCJ) must be divested if the Government is to cut the fiscal deficit and reduce the public debt.

He has also signalled that the Finance Ministry will be coming to the table with a plan to cap both the debt, now running at 134 per cent of gross domestic product, as well as the fiscal deficit.

Responsibility for the carrier was added to Wehby's portfolio earlier this month.

The senator, who is in the process of recruiting an aeronautical expert to advice the Govern-ment on divesting the airline by 2009, says Air Jamaica's losses would likely reach $4 billion this year.

Its accumulated losses in a decade now top US$1 billion (J$71 billion).

Wehby, who left his high-paying private sector job three months ago to serve in the new Jamaica Labour Party government under a mandate to tighten fiscal control, said the two debt-ridden state entities were consuming resources that could otherwise be spent on improving the country's education and health systems and provide other well- needed social services.

The combination

He pointed to renowned tax expert Professor Vito Tanzi's advice that "a combination of a low fiscal deficit with a high growth rate of the economy would help to reduce the public debt".

The SCJ, which is carrying a debt burden of more than $14 billion, is expected to be divested by June this year, Wehby said, based on a timetable given to Cabinet by Agriculture Minister Dr. Christopher Tufton.

"I believe a lot of Jamaica's current fiscal problems are attributable to inefficient management of the Government's resources. I am particularly concerned about the current budget system," said the senator.

"I believe there is potential for better management and execution of this process," Wehby said Tuesday night at an economic forum hosted by Jamaica Money Market Brokers Ltd. at the Terra Nova Hotel in New Kingston on Tuesday.

Technically, he said, the process was sound and appeared to be rigorous on paper, but there was "much scope for improvement" and potential savings of billions of dollars to be derived from greater fiscal discipline.

"A paradigm shift is needed in our budget process," he stressed.

To bring about this paradigm shift, Wehby is exploring the possibility of "performance-based budgeting techniques and the introduction of a Fiscal Responsibility Act".

A performance-based budgeting system would link monies spent by governments with the results achieved from this spending and provide incentives for meeting clearly defined targets as well as accountability for any deviation that may occur. This, Wehby said, has worked in developed countries like Canada.

Fiscal deficit limit

As it relates to the Fiscal Responsibility Act, the minister explained that such legislation would involve putting a limit on the fiscal deficit and the country's debt to GDP ratio, and would only be lifted in emergencies on approval of a two-thirds majority in both the upper and lower houses of Parliament.

"Such an act would also include binding fiscal rules on the use of borrowed funds and extra budgetary funds (and) caps on certain categories of expenditure as well as minimum spending for essential services," Wehby said.

The process, he added, must begin with tax reform, ostensibly to encourage compliance among taxpayers in the hunt for bigger tax revenues as offsets.

john.myers@gleanerjm.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

What a breath of fresh air. I hope him can find a buyer and not one like Butch that keep coming back for help to run it and then give it back after he has no more use for it.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

you sure a sell them did sell Butch or them did lend him?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

3 is better than 1! Or is it 3 ARE better than 1?

Still waiting to see who will cuss the Minister. When I say it...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          3 is better than 1! Or is it 3 ARE better than 1?

Still waiting to see who will cuss the Minister. When I say it...
          I thought u just would be glad to get rid of AJ!

lol

Comment

From the taxpayers purse. I still would love to see that logo in the skies, but at the rate this thing is losing money...hells no! Not out of my pocket!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              - Senator to propose cap on debt and deficit

The combination

He pointed to renowned tax expert Professor Vito Tanzi's advice that "a combination of a low fiscal deficit with a high growth rate of the economy would help to reduce the public debt".

The SCJ, which is carrying a debt burden of more than $14 billion, is expected to be divested by June this year, Wehby said, based on a timetable given to Cabinet by Agriculture Minister Dr. Christopher Tufton.

"I believe a lot of Jamaica's current fiscal problems are attributable to inefficient management of the Government's resources. I am particularly concerned about the current budget system," said the senator.

"I believe there is potential for better management and execution of this process," Wehby said Tuesday night at an economic forum hosted by Jamaica Money Market Brokers Ltd. at the Terra Nova Hotel in New Kingston on Tuesday.

Technically, he said, the process was sound and appeared to be rigorous on paper, but there was "much scope for improvement" and potential savings of billions of dollars to be derived from greater fiscal discipline.

"A paradigm shift is needed in our budget process," he stressed.

To bring about this paradigm shift, Wehby is exploring the possibility of "performance-based budgeting techniques and the introduction of a Fiscal Responsibility Act".

A performance-based budgeting system would link monies spent by governments with the results achieved from this spending and provide incentives for meeting clearly defined targets as well as accountability for any deviation that may occur. This, Wehby said, has worked in developed countries like Canada.

Fiscal deficit limit

As it relates to the Fiscal Responsibility Act, the minister explained that such legislation would involve putting a limit on the fiscal deficit and the country's debt to GDP ratio, and would only be lifted in emergencies on approval of a two-thirds majority in both the upper and lower houses of Parliament.

"Such an act would also include binding fiscal rules on the use of borrowed funds and extra budgetary funds (and) caps on certain categories of expenditure as well as minimum spending for essential services," Wehby said.

The process, he added, must begin with tax reform, ostensibly to encourage compliance among taxpayers in the hunt for bigger tax revenues as offsets.

john.myers@gleanerjm.com
              Love the above!

Senator Don Wehby, Minister without portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and Public Service, is insisting that national airline, Air Jamaica and the Sugar Company of Jamaica (SCJ) must be divested if the Government is to cut the fiscal deficit and reduce the public debt.

He has also signalled that the Finance Ministry will be coming to the table with a plan to cap both the debt, now running at 134 per cent of gross domestic product, as well as the fiscal deficit.

Responsibility for the carrier was added to Wehby's portfolio earlier this month.

The senator, who is in the process of recruiting an aeronautical expert to advice the Govern-ment on divesting the airline by 2009, says Air Jamaica's losses would likely reach $4 billion this year.

Its accumulated losses in a decade now top US$1 billion (J$71 billion).
              Do not embrace the idea of getting rid of AirJ...

...and, would like to know how many are employed in the "sugar industry" and what are the plans to have continue as employed?

...and, is there any way the 'sugar industry' can be made efficient and profitable?

Remember the JLP came to power proclaiming to all and sundry that with a 'wave of the hand' it shall be jobs! jobs! jobs!?????????????
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yuh know what Divestment mean ?

A wave of the hand eh ?

Unnuh luv mek up tings fi argue bout.

Karl, I don't understand how previous Administration could allow 'Ghost' workers and Workers being paid by 6 different agencies of the Govt for the same Job ?

Can you explain how this could be going on.

Diaper Change going on rapid.. soon wi can breathe.

Govt and Diapers are two things that often need changing.. and both for the same reasons...

Mi tyad fi tell yuh dat. Look like yuh tink comrade ******************** don't stink.
                Last edited by Muadib; November 30, 2007, 04:09 PM.

Comment

so how we a go take off if nuh job nuh deh bout?

No you say we poise? If we that poise we can sacrifice a few can cutters.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

watch karl jump all ova yuh now!!!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      Love the above!

Do not embrace the idea of getting rid of AirJ...

...and, would like to know how many are employed in the "sugar industry" and what are the plans to have continue as employed?

...and, is there any way the 'sugar industry' can be made efficient and profitable?

Remember the JLP came to power proclaiming to all and sundry that with a 'wave of the hand' it shall be jobs! jobs! jobs!?????????????
                      Karl, when are you going to stop the acting and get serious?
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post

Karl, I don't understand how previous Administration could allow 'Ghost' workers and Workers being paid by 6 different agencies of the Govt for the same Job ?
                        You think this started with the '89-2007 PNP?
                        Yuh jus baarn?

Can you explain how this could be going on.
                        Yes!
                        Yuh ave tief and fraud-sta dem bout di place!

...and, I'll go further and tell you that they are still around and the same thing shall happen unda Brucie's watch!

18 months is not a long time!
                        I'll be right on this site...God's willing...ready to remind you of your post!
                        ...and your other 'going-ons'!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I heard that they were going to make part of the deal that the airline keeps the name.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

And logo! That would be good. Just keep it out of our coffers!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Would the PNP have carried out these activities had they won the election ?

Rooting out of ghost workers and ejection of paraiah and leeches in cash strapped money losing agencies ?

Comment

Working...
                              X