Spanish hospital group to invest in hospital for tourists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish hospital group to invest in hospital for tourists

A Spanish developer is eyeing lands in Montego Bay for construction of a hospital complex to be marketed at tourists.

Pedro Luis Cobiella-Suarez of Grupo HOSPITEN scouted locations in the island in September and met with Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett at the just concluded World Travel Market trade show in London.

He returns to December 3-5 to continue talks.

The project, which is in the early stages, HOSPITEN, is expected to invest US$20 million to US$50 million in the project. The developers have already had interim meetings with Ministry of Health officials, The Gleaner understands.

Continued support

"This shows the continued support from Spanish private interests to the development of the tourist industry of Jamaica which is the fastest growing and most labour-economic force of the country," said Spanish Ambassador Jesús Silva when reached for comment.

"And in this case, the best thing is that the Spanish investors are diversifying into other products, namely health tourism."

HOSPITEN plans to launch in Montego Bay, but plans to expand to Ocho Rios and Negril, depending on market response.

The company operates an international network of private hospitals, whose services are highly technologically driven - seeing more than 500,000 patients every year.

It has 12 hospital centres located in major cities and tourist centres in countries such as Spain, the Dominican Republic and Mexico, adding new centres last year in Puerto Rico and Mexico.

Bartlett also sees the project as an important addition to the tourism mix, saying it addresses the critical component of 'health security' to the product.

Other investors have entered the health market, including Michael Lee Chin who bought Medical Associates and is in the process of transforming that operation, but in the more definitive area of tourism, the MoBay Hope Clinic on the Half Moon Shopping Complex, has been operational in Montego Bay for years.

But perhaps the city's most seminal contribution to health tourist has been Doctor's Cave, whose early patrons flocked the beach, which had became reknowned for its healing waters.

Still Bartlett says HOSPITEN's investment represents a first for Jamaica's health tourism market, perhaps because of the scale of the investment under consideration.

He said the facility would be available to Jamaicans and visitors alike.

Silva said HOSPITEN would be seeking market from both foreign and Jamaican-owned hotels.

janet.silvera@gleanerjm.com

The Health Tourism Market

More than 200,000 Britons are expected to fly overseas over the next three years in search of treatment for ailments ranging from hernia to hip to heart while others will fit in cosmetic work around their break in the sun, according to information released at the World Travel Market in London.

By 2010 medical travel is expected to be a US$40-billion business, with over 780 million patients seeking care outside their principal country of residence.

Up to 50 countries are offering bargain price medical attention which can shave off about 50 per cent of private medical bills faced in their home countries, even after flights and accommodation are factored into the package.

"More and more people are showing interest in going overseas for help," said Keith Pollard, managing director of Treatment Abroad.

The market is expected to grow 84 per cent in 2007. Growth in 2006 was 25 per cent.

Treatment Abroad's website has 50,000 visits a month and 1,500 of those make enquiries about treatment, said Pollard.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

That would be good if we could get a start in that area. It has a lot of potential for growth (like so many other areas) if we can get it together.

Sometimes I almost lose all hope for Jamaicas future, other times it seems like such a diamond in the rough waiting to be developed.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      That would be good if we could get a start in that area. It has a lot of potential for growth (like so many other areas) if we can get it together.

Sometimes I almost lose all hope for Jamaicas future, other times it seems like such a diamond in the rough waiting to be developed.
      Poised for take-off!
      ...if only we do?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

My old man used to say we been "poised to take off" for so long him nuh understand how we keep we balance. And he died 15 years ago.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

good maybe the politician them nah fi fly to Miami again, save the country some money in plane fare.

I wonder how many Jamaicans going to have access to this?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

for tourists? mi nuh sure mi like da caption deh!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

mi think is karl coin da phrase de "poised for takeoff" yuh faada used to reason wid karl more time?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

LOL, maybe is a PNP ting. Him was a big Manley man like Karl.

Comment

ah...yes.....now i see said the blind man to his deaf son as he showed his blind daughter the corner of the round table!

Comment

Dem fi try and mek a fat farm as part of the proposal. Fat people people from all over north america could flock to Jamaica to lose weight, and mi know that would be profitable.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Not a bad idea at all.

Comment

Oh? Yuh can lose wait in Jamaica?! Den is what happen to me?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh nuh have nuh patience...heheheheheheh..."lose wait" hee hee ....i slay me!

Comment

i know!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                            X