X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica must be export-oriented, says Samuda

Al Edwards
    Friday, November 30, 2007

Jamaica must be more export-driven if its economy is to thrive and prosper. So said the Minister of Industry and Commerce, Karl Samuda at the Small Business Association of Jamaica (SBAJ) Annual Banquet and Awards Ceremony, held at the Knutsford Court Hotel last week.

Addressing the audience as the SBAJ's special guest speaker, the minister said that under his watch all Jamaican-made goods will have to meet rigorous standards and that 'Made in Jamaica' must stand or something.

"We must be consistent in our quality. It is not good enough to offer goods and services and say, 'make do with that' because in this globalised world that is not good enough and competitors can easily overrun your home markets," said Samuda.

The Minister declared that Jamaica's trade deficit continues to rise because it continually imports most of what it consumes.

"I have a dream of a Jamaica that is self-sufficient. We can't just rely on remittances. We must grow our economy by exporting our goods and services. Jamaicans should be making things for both the home and export market rather than sticking to the old buy-and-sell mentality. We keep consuming what other people make. Jamaicans have a penchant for accepting shoddy goods. That must change now and the watchword should be quality," said the minister.

Samuda once again stressed that the new administration is one that is open for business and declared that the first four years of this government's life will be dedicated to removing 50 per cent of the stifling bureaucracy that prohibits the business sector from doing better.

"Too many people focus on the word 'small' and not 'business'.We have to create a society that encourages and celebrates entreprenerism and gives people the opportunity to be the best they can be.

"I would like to see a one-stop-shop business information entity in each parish that provides statistical data, offers proper training and gives important information on how to start a business. The world of business should not be a mystery, it should be made accessible and that is what I intend to do. I do believe that small businesses can service our tourism sector if it is seen as a export industry because that is exactly what our tourism industry is - an export one," said the minister of Industry and Commerce.

He called for the country to pick export winners and identified the agro-industry as one where Jamaica can excel particularly in the area of food processing.

Recently food prices have been rising rapidly causing inflation to spiral. This is not just peculiar to Jamaica but goes right across the world, due to rising commodity prices. There have been calls on the Jamaican government to introduce price controls to avert civil unrest. Samuda subscribes to the supply and demand economic tenet dictating prices but makes it clear that there will be no room for unscrupulous operators looking to make a quick buck by exploiting the present situation.

"I will not hesitate to invoke the Trade Act which is within my power to do so as to prevent people charging unreasonable prices,"declared Samuda.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magaz...AYS_SAMUDA.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"There have been calls on the Jamaican government to introduce price controls to avert civil unrest. Samuda subscribes to the supply and demand economic tenet dictating prices but makes it clear that there will be no room for unscrupulous operators looking to make a quick buck by exploiting the present situation."

Suh Samuda, explain to the masses why it works in St. Kitts?

St. Kitts & Nevis food price control system

The issue of the rising cost of living remains high on the agenda of regional leaders.

Prime Minister of St Kitts Nevis, Dr. Denzil Douglas, said one way to address the problem, is for the region to examine its current agricultural and trade policies.

He said other countries should follow St Kitts-Nevis and look into the issue of price controls.

Dr. Douglas said his country was in the process of examining what duties or consumption taxes can be removed or decreased in order to ensure that basic consumer goods are not affected by a high mark-up from the merchants.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Al Edwards
      Friday, November 30, 2007

Jamaica must be more export-driven if its economy is to thrive and prosper. So said the Minister of Industry and Commerce, Karl Samuda at the Small Business Association of Jamaica (SBAJ) Annual Banquet and Awards Ceremony, held at the Knutsford Court Hotel last week.

Addressing the audience as the SBAJ's special guest speaker, the minister said that under his watch all Jamaican-made goods will have to meet rigorous standards and that 'Made in Jamaica' must stand or something.

"We must be consistent in our quality. It is not good enough to offer goods and services and say, 'make do with that' because in this globalised world that is not good enough and competitors can easily overrun your home markets," said Samuda.

The Minister declared that Jamaica's trade deficit continues to rise because it continually imports most of what it consumes.

"I have a dream of a Jamaica that is self-sufficient. We can't just rely on remittances. We must grow our economy by exporting our goods and services. Jamaicans should be making things for both the home and export market rather than sticking to the old buy-and-sell mentality. We keep consuming what other people make. Jamaicans have a penchant for accepting shoddy goods. That must change now and the watchword should be quality," said the minister.

Samuda once again stressed that the new administration is one that is open for business and declared that the first four years of this government's life will be dedicated to removing 50 per cent of the stifling bureaucracy that prohibits the business sector from doing better.

"Too many people focus on the word 'small' and not 'business'.We have to create a society that encourages and celebrates entreprenerism and gives people the opportunity to be the best they can be.

"I would like to see a one-stop-shop business information entity in each parish that provides statistical data, offers proper training and gives important information on how to start a business. The world of business should not be a mystery, it should be made accessible and that is what I intend to do. I do believe that small businesses can service our tourism sector if it is seen as a export industry because that is exactly what our tourism industry is - an export one," said the minister of Industry and Commerce.

He called for the country to pick export winners and identified the agro-industry as one where Jamaica can excel particularly in the area of food processing.

Recently food prices have been rising rapidly causing inflation to spiral. This is not just peculiar to Jamaica but goes right across the world, due to rising commodity prices. There have been calls on the Jamaican government to introduce price controls to avert civil unrest. Samuda subscribes to the supply and demand economic tenet dictating prices but makes it clear that there will be no room for unscrupulous operators looking to make a quick buck by exploiting the present situation.

"I will not hesitate to invoke the Trade Act which is within my power to do so as to prevent people charging unreasonable prices,"declared Samuda.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magaz...AYS_SAMUDA.asp

Wonda iffen Samuda and or his henchmen/(henchwonmen?) read this site?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
      X