• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The anti-JC bias

The anti-JC bias
    Michael Burke
    Thursday, November 29, 2007

ANOTHER student has died as a result of violence among teenagers. It has happened in schools before, but of course, when it happens at Jamaica College a certain amount of hypocrisy chips in. The usual nonsense about "look at what JC has come to" is noised abroad. Whenever there is violence at other schools, the media and other top-society talkers correctly lament the state of the human environment from which these youngsters come. But whenever it happens at JC, it is a horse of a different colour.

It is right and fitting that the death of a student by violence be a news item. No one is complaining about that. When someone dies, it is no longer just a domestic school issue. Fair enough! But less than that at JC has made the news. In 2000, some fifth formers misbehaved, and the then principal Stuart Reeves cancelled the graduation. I asked in my Observer article "Why pick on JC?" on Thursday, July 6 , 2000, "What is so earth-shattering about that?" The difference is that bad news about JC sells, but the good news does not.

In my piece entitled "Depends on who does it" in the Observer of Thursday, June 24, 2004, I wrote: "Sections of the media highlighted the Jamaica College students who were taken off a bus for unruly behaviour. I have not heard the students' side of the story, but if the report is true, they were wrong and should be punished. When students from other schools behave badly, we hear that it is the society, the environment and the poor rate of family life that are the reasons, and this is true. Aren't JC boys from the same society, the same environment, many of whom have the same poor state of family life as found in Jamaica? I would imagine so."

In that same piece I wrote, "It is my lot in life to belong to two groups of people who get bad press. One is my school and the other is my church." I am Roman Catholic.

The "bad-mouthing" of Jamaica College started in January 1958. In 1957, the PNP government under the premiership of national hero Norman Washington Manley started a system of partially free education. The first students to take the Common Entrance Examination, as it was called then, did so in 1957. Those who were awarded scholarships began their high school tenure in January 1958.

As children of poor parents sat beside "rich people pickney" in the same school, the prejudice and the snobbery started to manifest itself. The cry went out that "JC had gone to the dogs". One year, the head boy said at a prize-giving ceremony that "JC had not gone to the dogs, it is the dogs that have come to JC", for which he got a heavy applause from the audience.

I attended Jamaica College between 1964 and 1971. On April 1, 1970, in an article entitled "Schoolboys a menace", a writer in the STAR newspaper wrote some terrible things about JC boys and their behaviour at the bus stops. This was 37 years ago.

I replied on behalf of the students and the letter was published in the STAR of April 16, 1970. But not before the then general editor of Gleaner publications Theodore Sealy (now deceased) summoned me by telegram to the Gleaner offices and tried to lecture me about challenging people. I stood my ground and demanded that the letter be published.

What was interesting about the whole thing was that while I conferred with Sealy, the late Morris Cargill entered the office and joined the conversation. He offered me a cigarette while in my school uniform (khaki in those days, not the blue uniform that has been worn since September 1972).
    Fortunately for both my school and myself, I said "No, thank you."

I think it is time to publicly reveal after 37 years and 7 months that Sealy tried to catch me off guard by asking me if it was true that a teacher had been raped at JC. Please understand that this was April 1970 and I would not turn 17 until November that year (I just turned 54). Factually, neither rape nor sex had happened in that incident involving a precocious fifth former and a teacher, who was a Caucasian Englishwoman, but it was blown out of proportion by rumours.

Being asked such a question by the editor of the Gleaner, I had the reputation of JC in the palm of my hands. I did my best in explaining exactly what happened and included a particular suggestive remark that the teacher had made to the boys. And I succeeded in keeping the incident out of the press. And by the way, the student so accused died of natural causes three years ago.

The solution to the problem of violence is to change the mindset of the young. And to do that there should be more live-in camps where they do not go back home to the sort of environment that breeds the violent behaviour which they exhibit. In the meantime, more men need to volunteer to talk to the male students of all schools. After all, if I give voluntary time to Jamaica College each week, why can't just about everyone else give even a few hours at some school or other?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Could it be there is no bias but the uniform set you apart, Mr. Burke?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I dont like the tone of the article.

It seems to stem from a victim complex.

I am Catholic, but I dont use it as a cause celebre to try to explain "the fight down" that Cathoclics get/got in Jamaica.

Hell, he forgot that StGC was in the news in the last few months in the most unflattering light!

These things happen and as you rightly said, the uniform makes them visible. Heck, he would be better off saying that Jose Marti Students give JC a bad name. LoL

(They were the same colour uniform).

Comment

The blues of the Blues

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Could it be there is no bias but the uniform set you apart, Mr. Burke?
        As one of the last holdouts at JC insisting on wearing my beloved khakis to the bitter end, I recall the trauma of being forced at the point of possible suspension to switch to the horrible blue on blue rags some mindless committee decided to inflict upon the school in the mid-1970's. A true fashion malfunction.
        This meant that JC, the school so many love to hate (led by loud KC types.... the clear people's choice in schools) would now be much easier to target for the slightest misdemeanor.
        Allied to this was the fact that our neighbors at Papine Junior Sec. also had a version of the blues and not having an exemplary disciplinary record themselves ie the Papine students ..... JC students often found ourselves and our supposed misdeeds mistaken for those of our brethren.

It is true (many JC people believe) that there is an anti-JC bias in society, particularly some in the media. This is rooted in social history .... JC was for a long time the premier school of the elites, with black people being a distinct minority .... so a fair case could be made then for some disdain/envy.
        A campus of 40+acres in the middle of upper St. Andrew... site of the University of London College, horseback riding, swimming, tennis, boarding .... a dreamy, semi country club atmosphere few could attain.
        This began to change starting maybe late 1950's and really accelerating tremendously in the 1970's under Manley's social reforms.... black people were now the majority and "white/light flight" ensued.... a microcosm of the wrenching changes in society at the time.

Of all the old line elite schools, JC has come the farthest in accommodating the masses..... or maybe it just seems so to me because of my personal and extremely satisfying experience there and the fact that the school was once at the TOP OF THE WORLD standard to paraphrase someone who shall remain nameless.

The fact is that some enjoy the shortcomings or failures of others .... it empowers them and makes them feel elevated...... the HOW HATH THE MIGHTY FALLEN syndrome. It's just human nature and there's no reason for JC to escape that syndrome's grasp in view of it's history of privilege and current dire straits.

However JC alumni console ourselves with the fact that to this day a very disproportionate percentage of the country's senior political and business leadership springs from the school... from the current Prime Minister, the perhaps future head of the Opposition Peter Phillips (N.B. i'm not a particular advocate nor is this a prediction for Phillips) to the new head of the JDF. The roll call of leadership over the years is mind boggling. As we used to say at school:

Governments come and governments go but JC men still run the show.

However given the regrettable state of the country I don't know if that's the proudest boast imaginable.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I was at JC the other day and took a look at the honour roll boards. Indeed, some big names have passed through that school.

I find that Munro gets the same elitist rap, when today easily 95% of the students are from poor St. Elizabeth families.

Don1, did you know that JC's current principal, Ruel Reid, is a Munro Old Boy? Just thought I would mention that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            I was at JC the other day and took a look at the honour roll boards. Indeed, some big names have passed through that school.

I find that Munro gets the same elitist rap, when today easily 95% of the students are from poor St. Elizabeth families.

Don1, did you know that JC's current principal, Ruel Reid, is a Munro Old Boy? Just thought I would mention that.
            Much respek to Munro ( you know my bredrin Richard Clarke or Noel Howe?).
            There is hope/expectation that Reid will turn things around at the school despite his current "foot in the mouth" ailment. The school has really suffered from ineffectual leadership for more than a generation and Reid comes with a good rep. so we'll see.

Yeah Munro would definitely fall in the same category as elitist with a similar history to JC. However absorbing the rural St Elizabeth poor is going to be mucho different (not that you were comparing) than absorbing the urban lumpen. Mostly good people as I discovered but there is an element within that cohort that is self-destructive.... presents a sharper problem set for the school to handle, was so in my day and I can only imagine the daily issues now.

JC being in the City gets much attention and was set up to "represent" the elite. KC as a more egalitarian school was set up on the streets to be the people's favourite and JC's main rival ....... class warfare is/was real. This was class warfare at the scholastic level.

Respek
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              Much respek to Munro ( you know my bredrin Richard Clarke or Noel Howe?).
              There is hope/expectation that Reid will turn things around at the school despite his current "foot in the mouth" ailment. The school has really suffered from ineffectual leadership for more than a generation and Reid comes with a good rep. so we'll see.

Yeah Munro would definitely fall in the same category as elitist with a similar history to JC. However absorbing the rural St Elizabeth poor is going to be mucho different (not that you were comparing) than absorbing the urban lumpen. Mostly good people as I discovered but there is an element within that cohort that is self-destructive.... presents a sharper problem set for the school to handle, was so in my day and I can only imagine the daily issues now.

JC being in the City gets much attention and was set up to "represent" the elite. KC as a more egalitarian school was set up on the streets to be the people's favourite and JC's main rival ....... class warfare is/was real. This was class warfare at the scholastic level.

Respek
              I know Clarke, not sure about Howe.

Yes, Ruel should be good for JC. Another Munro teacher, not old boy, is the new principal at Clarendon College and I see where he is trying to instill some discipline. I wish them both the best.

Yes, poor St. Bess students are a lot different from poor urban students. I don't envy Ruel's challenge. Must be an eye opener for him too.

Funny how we do have that class warfare at our schools. Still there, but would rather not get into it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

there is no societal bias against jc... to whom much is given, much is expected... jc has long been considered an elite high school... much is expected from the 'elite' traditional high schools, as in a higher standard in discipline and academic performance...

while these tragedies occur in other schools, it is to be expected that the association with jc or any other so called 'elite' school with generate tremendous negative publicity... its the nature of the beast...

i do agree with willi on the writer's victim complex...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Steeeuuuppps.

Wrong Blue...that is all that needs to be said. LoL

Comment

which school yuh use to go, baddaz?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

why, that august institution located at 2A north street, kingston jamaica... in case you have been sleeping under a rock... kingston college, the only kc in jamaica...

Comment

figures!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Same thing could be said when some people bawl bout "class war"

Comment

i think considering the dispropotionate representation of leadership and authority figures in jamaica by jc (per don1), it goes to reason that the problems of jamaica should be attributed to jamaica college... weh yuh tink...

more kc graduates are needed to lead jamaica... jamaica would be better off...

Comment

mi nah get into unnu mix up. yuh mek sense still!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X