• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov't secrets and the dollar

Gov't secrets and the dollar
    published: Thursday | November 29, 2007

Martin Henry
    Scoring political points is a dangerous double-edged sword. And I am not now talking about termites and 'chi chi'. Prime Minister Golding ran afoul of both common sense and political wisdom when he chose to 'fly off him mouth' about the exchange rate that the last Government had used to calculate the 2007/2008 Budget which his Government inherited.

The Prime Minister is now naturally obliged to divulge to the country the exchange rate that his Government will use to cast the 2008/2009 Budget. Any victory in the revelation must be purely pyrrhic, that is, obtained at too high a cost to be beneficial.

Mr. Golding was, in the revelation, seeking to absolve himself and his Government from any responsibility for the sharp price movements since they took office. But even if he won that victory, it is highly unclear how the previously unrevealed higher exchange rate is a culprit in the matter. And even if it is, the former Minister of Finance, Dr. Omar Davies, is quite right.

This is not the kind of thing which a responsible government broadcasts, however much it desires to damage its opponents.

Blabbed delicate secret

The technocrats in the BoJ, MOF and PIOJ who advised Davies on silence and are sworn to advise his triumvirate successors must have wet themselves fighting to stave off a heart attack when the head of Government blabbed such a delicate secret.

I hope this gross indiscretion is not an indication that the honourable Prime Minister does not understand the nature of modern money. Then the termites would have spread.

If it ever was, money is not now just 'the means of exchange'; it is itself the largest tradable commidity in the market with trillions of units bought and sold daily at the dazzling speed of electronic data transmission.

Money is merely 'worthless' bits of paper and electronic blips except for the store of confidence that people are prepared to deposit in a currency. Which is why, with the removal of the gold standard [tangible backative], the U.S. dollar, backed by the biggest, strongest economy, became the benchmark of value for more than half a century.

Today, it is speculation in the money markets of a globalised, electronically connected world which really determines the value of money, not raw economic performance.

No cartoon joke

So Golding's indiscretion has enormous repercussions with respect to speculative pressure on the already weak and falling Jamaican dollar. It really is not a three-card man cartoon joke as Davies was portrayed in Las May's cartoon on November 23.

The words, and even the moving lips of leaders, move currencies. Now that the country has heard loud and clear from the current horse's mouth that the previous Government expected the Ja-maican dollar to decline over the course of the current fiscal year, what is to stop expectations that the same can be expected 2008/2009 with accompanying speculative behaviour?

Even if that were already the case, Mr. Golding has now firmly ensured that his Government must calculate its first budget at a higher rate than the prevailing exchange rate. And he may well have launched by his political point scoring indiscretion 'a bruk wey' slide of the local currency.

So the matter of Government secrets surfaces again. And it may appear strange that a media man who actively engaged the development of the Access to Information Act should argue, as his peasant mother advised that, "a nuh everyting good fi eat good fi talk." A delicate balance has to be struck between the right to know and the sacred responsibility to protect the welfare of the state and, in this case, of its currency.

Every state and its government has to hold secrets if it is to be governed at all. And there is a code of honour not to divulge these secrets with change of administration.

It certainly is not the PNP which stands to lose most from Mr. Golding's exposé, it is Jamaica which he leads and whose interest he is sworn to protect.

Martin Henry is a communication consultant.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Couldn't wait any longer on Lazie, Maudib and Willi...so I will did the posting for you all!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl, Lazie and Maudib never tell yuh say nutten nuh wrong wid wha Golding duh? 'Ow yuh 'ard 'ears suh!?!? Cho!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Karl, Lazie and Maudib never tell yuh say nutten nuh wrong wid wha Golding duh? 'Ow yuh 'ard 'ears suh!?!? Cho!
        But nutten nuh wrong.

The writer does not knw what he is talking about. How does the revelation long after the fact oblige BG to make future ones?? Even if he did the same again next year this time when the FX rate is again above the budget rate, how does this affect the price of tea in China??

Non-arguments really.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Couldn't wait any longer on Lazie, Maudib and Willi...so I will did the posting for you all!
          If mi nuh have nuh respect fro Maria Bartiromo of CNBC, Y U think that I give any weight to Martin Henry in financial matters???

Comment

i wonder if lazie see this article... martin henry basically articulated my points ten folds better than i could have ever imagined...

This is not the kind of thing which a responsible government broadcasts, however much it desires to damage its opponents.

it is speculation in the money markets of a globalised, electronically connected world which really determines the value of money, not raw economic performance.

Golding's indiscretion has enormous repercussions with respect to speculative pressure on the already weak and falling Jamaican dollar.

The words, and even the moving lips of leaders, move currencies. (e.g. alan greenspan)

he (golding) may well have launched by his political point scoring indiscretion 'a bruk wey' slide of the local currency.

Every state and its government has to hold secrets if it is to be governed at all. And there is a code of honour not to divulge these secrets with change of administration.

'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

why not? keep them quiet, Bruce simply stop Omar in his tracks by saying if you a go say mi can't manage mek we talk about what you did.

Omar and others might not like it but a them made the bed so they have to lay in it.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                i wonder if lazie see this article... martin henry basically articulated my points ten folds better than i could have ever imagined...

it is speculation in the money markets of a globalised, electronically connected world which really determines the value of money, not raw economic performance.

Golding's indiscretion has enormous repercussions with respect to speculative pressure on the already weak and falling Jamaican dollar.

The words, and even the moving lips of leaders, move currencies. (e.g. alan greenspan)

he (golding) may well have launched by his political point scoring indiscretion 'a bruk wey' slide of the local currency.

FLawed conclusion based on faulty facts and misguided analysis.

Comment

all due respect willi... correct me if i am wrong... no sure if your respect for either has any bearing on those that determine the direction of the jamaican ecomony... like i said, the highest respect to you... you just may be a vp in the world bank... slap mi if mi wrong but nuh kill mi... mi have a fambily...

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Yuh rite!
                    My bad!

Comment

jawgeitis contagious?!!!!! HO NO!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

ok willi... ova de years mi respect yuh economic opinions... suh if yuh seh it faulty and misguided, mi aguh let it rest...

afterall, roach nuh bizniz inna foul fight...

Comment

all due respect willi... correct me if i am wrong... no sure if your respect for either has any bearing on those that determine the direction of the jamaican ecomony... like i said, the highest respect to you... you just may be a vp in the world bank... slap mi if mi wrong but nuh kill mi... mi have a fambily...
                          Baddaz,

I have max respect for you. You make your points respectfully and you try to see all sides. What more can I ask for.

I am not a banker. I am in corporate finance.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            Waste of server space! Read it and laughed that he still saw the need to write this.
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

ok willi... ova de years mi respect yuh economic opinions... suh if yuh seh it faulty and misguided, mi aguh let it rest...

afterall, roach nuh bizniz inna foul fight...
                              Yuh always have a right to your opinion.

Mi not here to cow you down. Just expressing my opinion based on my own analysis.

Comment

Working...
                              X