• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversation, confusion or collision?

Conversation, confusion or collision?
    Mark Wignall
    Thursday, November 29, 2007

ON the morning of August 7, 1962, the day after Independence, four individuals - Politician, Rich Man, Poor Man and Social Conscience - sat down to talk. Fifteen minutes into the meeting Poor Man left because no one listened when he spoke. It was not a time when we would expect the occupants of the mansion on the hill to embrace the tenants of the refuse heap. But at that time, not to expect a beginning of any sort would have been seen as unpatriotic.

After a terse "Shut up" from Politician, Social Conscience stormed out and said to him, "You are only interested in scoring points, not in finding solutions." Rich Man glanced at his watch, said, "I have business to attend to," then stood up to leave. Politician smiled then said as he raised himself from the chair, "You know that we speak the same language. I am right behind you."

Forty-five years later they have decided to meet again, to talk again. It was November 28, 2007, two days before my 57th birthday and I felt privileged to be allowed to listen in.

As Politician begins to speak, Poor Man interjects, "You are always having the first say and the last word. Allow me to speak." Social Conscience hides a smile and says, "Allow Poor Man to talk." Politician utters a "Humph" and sits down.

Poor Man speaks and directs it to Politician.
    "Where do you get it and why do you bring so much passion and energy to bear in your reach for power? What is it about 'serving' that makes it so attractive to you? I remember you as a little 'mawga' boy five years ago, begging votes. Look at you now, fat and greasy."

"Listen, I will not be disrespected," said Politician. "I did not come here to be vilified-" Rich Man suddenly reaches across, holds on to Politician's hand and whispers through a cupped hand, "Let him talk. He will soon tire."

Poor Man scowls at them both then continues, "Let me cut to the chase. I know of one multinational which bought a company here. The CEO of that company told me that the minister in charge demanded and collected US$1 million as his cut-"

"Damn lie, lie, lie!" shouts Politician. Social Conscience holds them at bay.

"Politician, we are here to talk, it's just talk. He was not accusing you, but I have heard the same thing too-"

"What is this? Have you both set the decks against me!

Listen, in this world, I set the decks, I call the shots-" He glances across at Rich Man and sees him peering at him over his half-moons. "...Well, most of the times."

Poor Man ignores them and says, "I gather that another minister demanded US$10 million as his cut from a huge deal with a transnational. That deal would see this country become the Western assembly point for this Far Eastern company's products. The deal was cancelled-"

"I will not sit here and listen to these lies! I will not allow you to cast aspersions at my hard-working colleagues who have sacrificed much, including time, money, family and love. You have it wrong." He locks eyes with Poor Man but recovers his composure in time. He smiles and whispers to Poor Man, "I have a T-shirt just for you. There is a little something in it for you". Poor Man takes the T-shirt with the picture of the politician on it. He unfolds it and counts five thousand-dollar bills. They smile at each other.

Poor Man speaks, "Mr Politician, you are the only one who has shown any understanding of our plight. You care for poor people and will do everything to help us. You are sure of my vote."

As Politician and Rich Man knock fists, Social Conscience leaps out of his chair fuming, "What is this?" He questions Poor Man, "Did you just accept money from Politician?"

Poor Man hisses his teeth and says to him, "What can you give me? Words?"

Rich Man laughs and makes a pronouncement, "Now we are getting somewhere."

Social Conscience tries to calm himself. He addresses Poor Man, "Listen, you have a duty to yourself, your family to make a choice based on who you think is the best candidate. You can't just take a money in your pocket and then believe that all is OK for the next five years." He turns to face Rich Man. "Don't you have anything to say?"

"A lot," says Rich Man. "I employ 1,000 persons from all walks of life. I pay my general manager J$400,000 per month plus expenses and shop floor workers who I trained $15,000.
    Each month I have to juggle between governmental bureaucracy and a friendly bank manager to ensure that that multimillion-dollar pay bill is met. I have machinery on the docks six weeks awaiting clearance because some idiot in customs has said that one item in the container was not manifested. Yet, even if I cut production I have to pay staff-"

"What does this have to do with-" interjects Social Conscience.

"I have to live with a corrupt government-"

"-Now listen here, Rich Man," says Politician. "I and my colleagues-"
    "Shut the *#@!! up!" says Rich Man as an unusual calm came over the gathering.

Poor Man speaks. "All you, Rich Man. When election time comes around you and your druggist friends pump money into the political parties while they tell us that all of their contributions are clean. The only reason why we the poor don't make too much noise or care about it is simply because we are all a little corrupt. I plant a little plot of herb in the hills and I have to pay a policeman to keep off 'the law'. If I don't pay him, government will send him to mash me down."

Social Conscience: "There is a better way out. Would you like your children to do this for a living? You have to educate them, teach them moral values..."

Poor Man, Politician and Rich Man huddle in conversation, deliberately ignoring Social Conscience. "I am speaking!" says Social Conscience.
    Politician, Poor Man, Rich Man (all together): "And none of us are listening." They all laugh at him.

Poor Man: "Listen, I never went to any big school but I know the runnings.
    Politician and Rich Man set the deck. Poor Man plays the game and gets shafted. Social Conscience feels the need to explain away his penurious state so he sells us words. I know the game. I am on my own."

observemark@gmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Mark may play the ass too often...but, this is interesting! (wry smile!)
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Mark may play the ass too often...but, this is interesting! (wry smile!)
      hehehe ... mi notice when him nuh write bout Portia yuh call it interesting, when him write bout Portia, him playing the ass. Why mi nuh surprised?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        hehehe ... mi notice when him nuh write bout Portia yuh call it interesting, when him write bout Portia, him playing the ass. Why mi nuh surprised?
        ...and, is what you have stated the truth and nothing but the whole truth?

Comment

...and, is what you have stated the truth and nothing but the whole truth?
          So help me ...! Get vex all yuh want. You and Jawge ... when Wignall was pushinig for Portia to be president of the PNP, him was the best ting since sliced bread. Portia incompetence came to the fore and he told it like it was ... unuh knock him .... call him ass, claim his writings are a waste of time, but when him nuh mention Portia, yuh give him praises?

Vex all yuh want Karl. Just keeping it real.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            So help me ...! Get vex all yuh want. You and Jawge ... when Wignall was pushinig for Portia to be president of the PNP, him was the best ting since sliced bread. Portia incompetence came to the fore and he told it like it was ... unuh knock him .... call him ass, claim his writings are a waste of time, but when him nuh mention Portia, yuh give him praises?

Vex all yuh want Karl. Just keeping it real.
            Keep it real by posting where I said Wignall was 'the best ting since slice bread' or any other quote or post saying anything near to that as he spoke on Portia or promoted Portia?

Duh?
            I am not mad...yet? Am I?

Comment

Keep it real by posting where I said Wignall was 'the best ting since slice bread' or any other quote or post saying anything near to that as he spoke on Portia or promoted Portia?

Duh?
              I am not mad...yet? Am I?
              I don't have to post anything, not my fault if you have short memory. Go back to the articles leading up the Portia becoming PNP president. If you're not aware that "best thing since sliced bread" is a figure of speech, then I can understand why yuh wanted Portia as PM for 5 more years.

Comment

weeeeellllll there have been a few "incidents"......i wouldn't call it out and out "madness" but some concerns were raised around the definition of the word "sanity"....

not that there is anything wrong with being insane.....i know some insane people in fact...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                X