Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who mock E-Learning

Online Courses Catch On in U.S. Colleges

When today's college graduates get together for a reunion someday, they may decide to do it by computer. That's because right now, nearly one in five college students takes at least one class online, according to a new survey.
    For professors, the growth of e-learning has meant a big shift in the way they deal with students.
    Take professor Sara Cordell of the University of Illinois-Springfield: Her day doesn't end at 6 p.m., as it does for some college professors.
    Cordell sits at her computer in her campus office to chat with a half-dozen students gathered in front of their screens: One is in Tennessee, another in California's central valley, another in Ohio. They're all here to talk about Thomas Hardy's 19th-century novel Tess of the D'Urbervilles.
    Cordell has a microphone hooked up to her PC, and her students listen from home. All but one of them type their responses, which appear in chat-format on Cordell's screen.
    The process looks kind of awkward — the natural flow of a regular class is missing, as responses arrive onscreen in a digital flood. But at second glance, there's something else here not seen in a regular college class: All of the students are paying attention and all are engaged.
    Student Max Parish, 22, has his microphone hooked up, and chimes in. Parish works sometimes as an electrician in a small town in California's San Joaquin Valley. He says Springfield's English program is the only online bachelor's program he could find. The school has a well-established virtual curriculum.
    Parish said he misses the give-and-take of a traditional classroom.
    "But an advantage with online stuff is that because people have to type, you have to think more about what you say before you say it. So you usually end up with a lot more intelligent conversation," Parish said.
    Class Never Sleeps
    Cordell, who is in her 50s, has been teaching offline for 25 years; online for four. She said she was initially skeptical about how meaningful an English course could be online. But now she's a convert. Online classes conducted in real time have a special kind of immediacy, Cordell said.
    "They're right there. They're listening. And they like talking to each other, typing to each other. That, I think, is a big attraction, because they get to engage real time with the other students as much as with me," Cordell said.
    After two hours of discussion, Cordell signs off. But the class actually never goes to sleep. The students, including a mother of six, will keep the conversation going. This is known as the asynchronous part of the class, and it happens on an online education content management system, where written assignments are posted.
    That means the work never stops — and many instructors say teaching an online class is more work.
    "In my experience, it takes about twice as long — prep time, putting materials together — to actually deliver the online course than it does to deliver the on-campus course," says Denise Keele, a professor of environmental policy.
    Keele is intense and enthusiastic, especially when it comes to her regular classroom courses.
    In her class on literature and the environment, she tackles how the idea of wilderness changed as Americans became more mobile in the 1960s, and how writers such as Edward Abbey reacted with horror to what he referred to as "industrial tourism."
    Population and Prep Work
    In her on-ground course — that means that real students come to this windowless classroom for a regular class meeting — part of the show is Denise Keele herself.
    "See the USA in your Chevrolet!" Keele sings. "These were the commercials around the late 1960s and 1970s. I can get in my Chevrolet, tour the whole West in two weeks with my family, right?"
    Like many undergraduate courses, the class is filled with young students having the classic American experience of going to college for four years.
    But when Keele moves to her online course, the population changes.
    "This class is all working professionals, with the exception of two. They start posting on Friday at about 4," Keele said.
    For this course, Keel prepares and records lectures. There is no official class meeting time. Students can listen at their own pace and follow along with the PowerPoint presentation timed to go with the audio.
    If students get bored, they can jump ahead. If they fall behind, they can listen to the lecture on their iPods.
    But, Keele said, preparing a formal lecture like this is something she would never do for a regular class.
    "I can't do what we just did [in the classroom]. I can't reread the same material I know my students just read, have the 10 points I know I want to get to in an hour. I have to already have spelled that out," Keele said.
    Keele said she feels just as close to these distance students as she does to those in her on-campus classes.
    Take Jeff, who is taking her course on environmental policy from far away.
    "Jeff is actually a park ranger out in Montana. He wouldn't be able to physically be at a university for an 'on-ground' class," she said. "I also know personal things about them, just like I do my 'on-ground' students. He's going back to D.C. for the holidays."
    Online student-teacher relationships are getting deeper and warmer, thanks in part to growing sophistication about how to teach effectively online.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Nuh di whole a unnu did a mock Carl Brown?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Nuh di whole a unnu did a mock Carl Brown?
      Huh? Are you aware which forum you're in?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

That's all fine and dandy but a lot of employers do not acknowledge the degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
          That's all fine and dandy but a lot of employers do not acknowledge the degrees.
          First thing one need to do is check the acrediation of these institutions. You'd be surprised at the name of some institutions involved in Distance Learning. The institution that I work is pushing to increase the amount of online courses being offered. More employers will eventually come on board.

Comment

Maybe for undergrad but
            not Graduate degrees. Check again; even Ivy league is now offering Graduate degrees online.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
              Maybe for undergrad but
              not Graduate degrees. Check again; even Ivy league is now offering Graduate degrees online.
              Why not for Graduate Degrees? You are aware that a student have to work harder in an online course than in a traditional face to face course?

Comment

Lazie I'm saying that employers will
                quickly take an online Graduate degree than an undergrad. I can see that online is akin to independent study (which is harder for the average student). The employers are just not fully abord with UGRAD, I guess they are waiting for the big colleges to get into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                  Lazie I'm saying that employers will
                  quickly take an online Graduate degree than an undergrad. I can see that online is akin to independent study (which is harder for the average student). The employers are just not fully abord with UGRAD, I guess they are waiting for the big colleges to get into the game.

My apologies, I misunderstood the post.

Comment

And I think the degrees that are questioned are the ones from schools who are not known.

Lazie, when students who are enrolled in traditional schools do some of their courses online, is there anything on their degree, transcript, etc to say what courses were online and what wasn't?

I agree its just a matter of time, when an online course is deveoped correctly with todays technology there is nothing that an offline course has over it.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Nuh e-learning yuh talking bout?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        And I think the degrees that are questioned are the ones from schools who are not known.

Lazie, when students who are enrolled in traditional schools do some of their courses online, is there anything on their degree, transcript, etc to say what courses were online and what wasn't?

I agree its just a matter of time, when an online course is deveoped correctly with todays technology there is nothing that an offline course has over it.
                        There is no indication that courses were online or face 2 face.

Comment

Nuh e-learning yuh talking bout?
                          ... how Carl Brown come inna dis? Reading tactical manuals online is different from studying about it. Hope yuh know the difference. I like to read about economical statistics, I've never considered myself an expert on economical statistics.

Comment

Was that what CB said?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Was that what CB said?!?
                              We're talking about E-Learning. How is CB of relevance here?

Comment

Working...
                              X