Mi bredrin gave me this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mi bredrin gave me this

article last night (mi did ah lime) when I stopped by to talk ball and other things. Unnuh tek a read an give mi some feedback:

PUBLISHERS VIBE

Let me share something about myself with you that only my family and friends know.
    I love America and I have every respect for the constitution and the high ideas espoused by the founding fathers.
    America is undoubtedly the land of opportunity. In the context of my own Jamaican nationality/American citizenship, I see Jamaicans and other Caribbean nationals doing exceptionally better than they were doing back home. Nevertheless they berate, curse and disrespect the very system that has given them a second or third chance at succeeding in life.
    NO! I am not naive, I am not brainwashed. Rather I can think for myself, therefore I have come to the following conclusions:
    (a) If you left your country 10, 20, or 30 years ago and you are doing significantly better than you’d have done at home, shut up and stop complaining.
    (b) If you are not doing well and you think that the system stinks - simply pack you bags and go back home.
    (c) If you are not doing as well as you’d like, but you understand America for what it is, “the land of opportunity,” then, seek advice and support from one who is succeeding.
    Jamaicans and other Caribbean nationals have traditionally marginalized themselves by refusing to participate fully in the political, social and economic system in a meaningful way.
    Instead they continue to feed the notion that one day soon they will return to their island paradise to enjoy the fruits of their labor. However, things change, and the two or three jobs are no longer adequate to fuel the dream of “Island Paradise Retirement.”
    The mood and tempo of the islands are also changing, so by the time some of the more fortunate ones get there, they’ll find that things are simply not what they used to be. Many are broken and disillusioned when they realize that their dreams of “what used to be” have materialized as their own worst nightmare.
    Those of us, who ventured to the United States, did so for a number of reasons. Some of those reasons are as follows:
    (1) To re-unite with family or relatives who emigrated a long time ago
    (2) To pursue higher education and broaden our personal and professional development.
    (3) To find jobs and careers that were unavailable in our own countries.
    (4) To transfer and relocate as teachers, nurses doctors consular corps, athletes or scholars.
    Whatever your reasons for coming to America, as long as you resist assimilation, you limit yourself socially, politically and economically.
    Why is it that almost anyone who is seeking opportunity, rich, poor, young or old, or educated or uneducated, ends up in America? It’s no coincidence. This is the only place where you can freely speak your mind politically with out reprisal. The only place, where, despite who you are African, Jewish, Polish or Russian, you can start a business on a shoestring and succeed.
    The saddest irony to me is the images of immigrants in protest marches and demonstrations waving their native flags in America (on American soil), while saying the vilest things about America.
    Immigrants from everywhere else have never shown any respect for their Black American community who constitute the very foundations of the United States. Just so you know, pre-modern and modern America as we know it, was made possible through the superhuman sacrifices of Black Americans who had a hand in every meaningful development and advancement in this country.
    If Black Americans had not fought racism and discrimination at every turn and achieved some modicum of respect and dignity: how in God’s name could the rest of us from everywhere else make America our home?
    In Jamaica we have a saying that evolved form the middleclass fear of the Rastaman, “you fe stop spread propaganda pon the dread.” Jamaicans and Caribbean Nationals must stop this stupid class warfare with American blacks.
    Black Americans deserve our thanks, our admiration and our loyalty for the sacrifices they have made. It is they, who opened the door for us to be here.
    Why don’t we honor America and our Black brothers and sisters by assimilating? This action alone will create a social, political and economic base that will make a difference in America today and tomorrow.
    “Cause that’s whereitzat.”

Clive
    For questions or comments on this article send your email to editors@whereitzatmag.com

Mi did tell him mi ah go drap it pon di site.

what would he say to americans who say the same thing that jamaican/americans are saying about america?

he is entitled to his opinion same as they are and he has the right to tell them to shut up and leave, and they have the right to stay and complain!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Bettah yuh go ova so pon di ball argument,
      cause today ah judgement day (yuh run to the rocks and there will be no hiding place). If yuh nuh like ah ting yuh ah go sidung inna it an complain when yuh have another option?

Comment

it's the exercise of the right to siddung and complain...they have that right, don't it? why yuh mek dat bodda yuh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

it nah boddah mi bass, mi juss
          ah put up di man argument. I am juss di messenger.

Comment

so that is the answer...they do so because they can!

Comment

They certainly have that right and that is part of the same American way that he approves of, but I think he has some valid points. It really ****************s me off when i hear Jamaicans speak about the problems of black america as if they are separate and apart from them. Their same children are growing up to be african americans wether they like it or not.

Plus I totally agree that although there is a lot wrong with black america that needs to be said (and is being said by some) , the fact is that the parents and grandparents of this generation of black americans are the ones who got beat, lynched, etc so that ALL non-whites today can enjoy more of the benefits of living in America. There wasn't a lot of Koreans or Indians in the March on Washington and its time more people recognize that and stop going on like generations of blacks have contributed little or nothing to modern america.
              Last edited by Islandman; November 28, 2007, 03:55 PM.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

See Islandman, he is saying something.
                I am just the eternal learner here.

Comment

I agree. My Jamaican friends use to wonder why I speak to so many African Americans. Yes, they have problems, but so do we. And if we had to deal with lynchings and the like up to just the other day, who knows what we would have become!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

WOW! good thing I am
                    the Eternal Learner

Comment

True, true words.
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Islandman mi haffi say respek to yuh
                        cause when yuh talk dem lissen; mi even
                        see man run gone to rhatid Yuh ah mussi some big sahib ah yaad LOL.
                        Yuh is Eddie boss cause dem fraid fi yuh bad

Comment

No sah. Me and everybody who has been on this forum for a while have had lively, sometimes heated discussions. From Merlene/Peta-gaye to Bush/Iraq to Zimbabwe/Mugabe, we go all round the world and back, so me sure nobody nuh fraid a me.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Den smaddy di haff suppen
                            bad fi say bout Peta-Gaye? Ah wha yuh ah say to mi? BTW yuh like Yendi?

Comment

When it come to good looking women, me nuh partial. And Yendi is a good looking girl by any measure.

I don't know if she just have good PR but she seem to be one that is trying to be more than a pretty face too.

Comment

Working...
                              X