JUTC tightens grip on payroll system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUTC tightens grip on payroll system

For the second time in less than a week there are reports of unrest among workers at the state-run Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC).

This time it concerns new measures instituted by the Board to deal with the long-standing problem of the company's payroll system being abused.

A memo issued Monday over the signature of JUTC Chairman Douglas Chambers says the measures will take effect Wednesday and Friday for all fortnightly and monthly paid workers.

Under the arrangement, monthly paid employees will be required to physically pick up their pay advice and present a valid JUTC identification card.

In addition, workers will have to take along a copy of their October pay slip.

The JUTC says persons who do not comply will not be paid their November salaries on Friday.

As it relates to fortnightly paid workers, the JUTC says all persons who were physically verified during the last payroll audit will receive their wages Wednesday.

All other persons who were not verified during the last payroll audit are required to report to the company's internal auditors at the Corporate Office by midday Wednesday.

The memo says persons who fail to follow this instruction will not be paid.

A JUTC official told RJR News Monday night that several breaches have been discovered in the payroll system at the cash strapped bus company.

It is reported that several persons who were included on the payroll were not employed to the JUTC.

The new measures come as the JUTC Board implements strategies to halt the company's heavy financial losses as well as improve efficiency.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"It is reported that several persons who were included on the payroll were not employed to the JUTC"

This cannot be true. Somebody have today mixed up with April 1st.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, have yuh been hallucinating? Public agencies have always been ideal places to put politically connected people on the payroll who do not work.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
        Lazie, have yuh been hallucinating? Public agencies have always been ideal places to put politically connected people on the payroll who do not work.
        Listen, there are many sayings that exist in Jamaica that no one is yet to prove. I hear many sayings and singing that politician give gunman gun, I'm yet to hear a man say him personally get a gun.

Well, the JUTC need fi mek it known what dem find out after this exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          "It is reported that several persons who were included on the payroll were not employed to the JUTC"

This cannot be true. Somebody have today mixed up with April 1st.

So what happens to identifying all workers...getting rid of...purging the payroll of those who should not be on it...finding out who was responsible for putting the non-workers on the payroll...finding the persons who should not have been paid and taking measures to recover the funds they received...and, 'sending who mus guh a jail...a jail'?

Mi tink mi wudda be tink-in dat mi wudda mek di worka dem innah di sections dat a pay...nuh ave nuh contact wid di outside worl...fi dem office-phone & dem cell phone cyaan pick-up nuh signal (electronic blockage) nuh wuk...dem computer guh dun..and management directives to specifiy time fi pick up checks/di money...an wan-wan detain di 'illegal picker-upper a check dem...????

...or, sum dan tink fi identify an ketch di 'nuh pan payroll legitimately wuk-er dem...mek di 'non-workers' dem cum pick up dem check and detain dem as dem cum een. tek statement fram dem or lack dem hup till dem talk...by promising dem tough charges and jail time iffen dem nuh give up dem 'control-la dem...puppet-master dem????

dat cyaan wuk?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes.. just not under a PNP Govt.

But nuh worry.. wi change course... first step in di right direction.

Comment

Damn, the JUTC is stating that there were 100 persons on the payroll do not exist. Yet Mosiah a mention JUTC as a broken election promise? Talk bout leap of faith.

Comment

Is me or di reporter did say it was a broken promise? What aspect of the JUTC layoffs represent a broken promise?

I am all for layoffs of any bloated public company, even if promises are broken. They must go further. The buses should become cashless! Force travellers to buy smartcards, but make it attractive for them to do so.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But Bruce no say him naw lay off any PNP unless them naw work? This must be one a the case him can make.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Is me or di reporter did say it was a broken promise? What aspect of the JUTC layoffs represent a broken promise?

I am all for layoffs of any bloated public company, even if promises are broken. They must go further. The buses should become cashless! Force travellers to buy smartcards, but make it attractive for them to do so.
                    Okay ... but .. but nuh you said, "Yuh don't know? Nuh you post someting bout it yesterday? One word for you - JUTC." when listing the broken promises of the JLP gov't? Maybe I missed the point of the post.

Comment

Okay, Lazie. Don't you get tired of this?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Okay, Lazie. Don't you get tired of this?
                        I'm here to educate, not to humiliate. You continue to mek some comical posts ... I have no problem setting the record straight.

Comment

You humiliate me...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How did you support this Almshouse for so many years ?

..oh that's right... Rasta Party...

Whenever a semblance of guilt creeps in you can always draw the race/class card for comfort.

1st Among Developing Countries and 17th behind Spain 40 years ago.

Dat is why when a white man question our 'intelligence'.. yuh cyaan really blame dem too tough..

Comment

If Don1 teaches me nothing else, he has taught me to ignore senseless posts. The practice starts...now!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X