Murder figure increases by 14 per cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murder figure increases by 14 per cent

There is more alarming news concerning the country's murder rate.

New data from the police reveal that 1,300 persons have been killed since the start of the year.

Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of crime, Mark Shields, says this represents a 14 per cent increase over last year.

He confirmed that there has been a spike in killings since last week.

According to figures provided by DCP Shields, 26 murders were recorded between Friday and Monday morning.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Dem figet rid of Mark Shields. All him do is look woman & hang out at various social events. Also, we nuh figet his blunder stating that Woolmer was killed.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      Dem figet rid of Mark Shields. All him do is look woman & hang out at various social events. Also, we nuh figet his blunder stating that Woolmer was killed.
      Mi nuh see nothing wrong with that. Mi quite certain him nuh work 24 hours ...
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        There is more alarming news concerning the country's murder rate.

New data from the police reveal that 1,300 persons have been killed since the start of the year.

Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of crime, Mark Shields, says this represents a 14 per cent increase over last year.

He confirmed that there has been a spike in killings since last week.

According to figures provided by DCP Shields, 26 murders were recorded between Friday and Monday morning.
        I wish someone could analize those figures more carefully and look at a few things.

The NYPD came out with their crime stats the other day and they did something different and very interesting, first of all the murder rate was the lowest it had been in 40yrs and more interestinly they found that of the 428 murders commited only 35 of the cases were murders where the victims and criminals didn't know each other which means that the vast majority were committed by assailants who knew their victims which means most of it can be traced to gangs and drugs.

Now the NYPD said after that this shows that u can't police that type of stuff which is bull but the stats did show that random crime is a very very small part of the overall figure.

I wonder what the same study would show in Jamaica.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
          I wish someone could analize those figures more carefully and look at a few things.

The NYPD came out with their crime stats the other day and they did something different and very interesting, first of all the murder rate was the lowest it had been in 40yrs and more interestinly they found that of the 428 murders commited only 35 of the cases were murders where the victims and criminals didn't know each other which means that the vast majority were committed by assailants who knew their victims which means most of it can be traced to gangs and drugs.

Now the NYPD said after that this shows that u can't police that type of stuff which is bull but the stats did show that random crime is a very very small part of the overall figure.

I wonder what the same study would show in Jamaica.
          Well, the difference is the NYPD solves most of the murders in order to come to that conclusion. In Jamaica the JCF just shat a bwoy, tell the public its a shootout and that the dead man was wanted for 10 murders. Dats 10 murders cleared up.

Comment

Well, the difference is the NYPD solves most of the murders in order to come to that conclusion.
            I do not think you can make that assumption without showing the data. In most American cities many of the homicides remain unsolved, especially if the victim is black. Lots of the murders in Hartford remain unsolved, and eye witnesses frequently are unwilling to testify in court.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              I do not think you can make that assumption without showing the data. In most American cities many of the homicides remain unsolved, especially if the victim is black. Lots of the murders in Hartford remain unsolved, and eye witnesses frequently are unwilling to testify in court.
              I didn't say most American cities ... you did. I said NYPD.

Comment

Well, the difference is the NYPD solves most of the murders in order to come to that conclusion. In Jamaica the JCF just shat a bwoy, tell the public its a shootout and that the dead man was wanted for 10 murders. Dats 10 murders cleared up.
                Lazie what the mayor and NYPD was trying to do is get rid of the myth that New York is a dangerous city where people get victimized randomly and frequently and the stats do show they are right. I cannot ntell you the last time I saw someone or know any who got randomly mugged or was attacked on a city street.

Now the part about not being able to police gangs and drugs is nonsense but they have a point.

I wonder the same for jamaica if you break down the stats with drugs, gangs, politics and random acts.

Comment

I think an analysis of our crime data would indicate something similar. Spoke to some Trinis recently and they were saying that they felt safer in Jamaica than in T&T because at least in Jamaica you know where to go and where not to. In T&T crime is very random.

I think the assailants usually know their victims in Jamaica too.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    I think an analysis of our crime data would indicate something similar. Spoke to some Trinis recently and they were saying that they felt safer in Jamaica than in T&T because at least in Jamaica you know where to go and where not to. In T&T crime is very random.

Not so for the house break-ins though!

Comment

Very good question. I suspect that some version of that does occur - however crude - but is not released to the public.
                      One thing for sure is that domestic violence and retribution killings would be a huge part of that number. The value of such analysis would help to put things in perpective - that while the figures are high, the odds of being a victim of such violence may be lesser than what the puiblic perceives. This would go a long way in changing the mind set of lots of people - especially those of here who read the news and just see more and more crime and mayhem.

Comment

Come now! Clearly, random violence happens all over the world, even Jamaica!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Mosiah, mi nuh too certain the where to go and where not to go is too valid lately. The killings are more widespread lately, the access to guns seem to be at the snap of a finger.

When I was there in July, I was talking to some big man who used to play D1 and Eastern Confed. I was asking why they weren't passing on their knowledge of the game to the youngsters. I was asked if mi a mad man. It was pointed out that if yuh talk too hard to a youth between certain age group, yuh a set up yuhself fi get shot.

In my years growing up I only saw a gun on a policeman's hip, my brother on Sunday was telling me who and who have gun inna the area. Recipe fi disaster.

Comment

I didn't say most American cities ... you did. I said NYPD.
                            But, I do not believe the NYPD has solved the majority of homicides where the victim is black. I would have to see the data.

Comment

I still believe it's true, but of course, with the unabated proliferation of guns and access to guns, then things can and will happen anywhere, and the boundaries are getting blurry. But for the most part, the Jack's Hill resident feels safer than citizens in some countries where the crime stats are not anywhere close to ours.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X