X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Planned effort to embarrass' Foggy Mullings irks Davies

'Planned effort to embarrass' Foggy Mullings irks Davies

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

FORMER Finance Minister Dr Omar Davies on Sunday lashed the Observer for publishing an article and a cartoon which he described as "a planned effort to seek to embarrass" Seymour 'Foggy' Mullings, the ex-People's National Party (PNP) parliamentarian.

In a letter to the newspaper, Davies said he felt obliged to write concerning the story carried in the Observer's November 23, 2007 edition of the Caribbean Business Report, concerning the employment of former deputy prime minister and minister of finance, Seymour Mullings, as a special advisor on racing issues to the then finance minister.

"I had planned to ignore the story, as it would have been clear to any discerning reader that the sole objective of the piece was to denigrate the capabilities of one of our country's longest-serving and most able parliamentarians," said Davies, who is now the opposition spokesman on finance and planning.

"However, I have decided to 'speak' on the matter following the cartoon in the Sunday Observer of November 25, which signals that there is a planned effort to seek to embarrass Mr Mullings."

Davies accused the writer of the story of making no attempt to reach him for his comments on the issue, "whilst he found it possible to contact others, both named and anonymous, to offer their views".

"If he had, I would have pointed out that Mr Mullings was employed to carry out specific tasks, detailed in formal terms of reference, prepared by the then financial secretary.

"I would have told him that Ambassador Mullings, apart from formerly having ministerial responsibility for the sector, has a well-recognised knowledge of the sector and the main 'players' in it. I would have further informed him that Mr Mullings interfaced with various sectors of the racing industry, on my behalf, and had a monthly meeting with me to provide his advice on policy issues in the sector," Dr Davies insisted.

He added that during the period of Mullings' consultancy, the major issue of concern was the proposed privatisation of the operations of Caymanas Park.

"It would be known to most in the industry that he opposed privatisation, having been instrumental in designing the ownership/ management structure which has been in existence since 1989, when he had ministerial responsibility for the sector, as then minister of finance," said Davies.

"I cannot state definitively the objective of the article and the subsequent cartoon. Whatever it may be, the contributions made to Parliament and the nation by this great Jamaican for nearly four decades represent 'runs on the board' to use an expression from cricket. There are few who can match Mr Mullings' nearly three decades of service to the constituency of South East St Ann; his service as parliamentary secretary, minister of state, full minister, deputy prime minister, leader of the House and finally ambassador to the United States.

"Anyone who witnessed the parliamentary farewell to him would know that he was regarded as a 'special one' by all members of Parliament. I particularly remember the sincere and moving tribute paid to 'Foggy' by the present Minister of State in the Office of the Prime Minister, the Hon Shahine Robinson.

"In the name of decency, Mr Editor, stop the character assassination of this great Jamaican," Dr Davies wrote.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    'Planned effort to embarrass' Foggy Mullings irks Davies

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Davies accused the writer of the story of making no attempt to reach him for his comments on the issue, "whilst he found it possible to contact others, both named and anonymous, to offer their views".

"If he had, I would have pointed out that Mr Mullings was employed to carry out specific tasks, detailed in formal terms of reference, prepared by the then financial secretary.
    Lazie and company ignored the above!
    Why?

"I would have told him that Ambassador Mullings, apart from formerly having ministerial responsibility for the sector, has a well-recognised knowledge of the sector and the main 'players' in it. I would have further informed him that Mr Mullings interfaced with various sectors of the racing industry, on my behalf, and had a monthly meeting with me to provide his advice on policy issues in the sector," Dr Davies insisted.

He added that during the period of Mullings' consultancy, the major issue of concern was the proposed privatisation of the operations of Caymanas Park.

"It would be known to most in the industry that he opposed privatisation, having been instrumental in designing the ownership/ management structure which has been in existence since 1989, when he had ministerial responsibility for the sector, as then minister of finance," said Davies.

Wonder why Lazie and company stuck to line of the article condemning Foggy's $4 million fee when that article ignored Foggy's qualification through involvement with the racing fraternity and racing stretching over years?

The JLP and its adherents have a way of setting the stage for their subsequent actions - Bruce and the PSC/Solicitor-General cass-cass & Derick Smith's and the JLP's line of having cops on standby to jail PNP persons on Smith's say-so come to mind.

Dictatorship on the horizon?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Lazie and company ignored the above!
      Why?

Wonder why Lazie and company stuck to line of the article condemning Foggy's $4 million fee when that article ignored Foggy's qualification through involvement with the racing fraternity and racing stretching over years?

The JLP and its adherents have a way of setting the stage for their subsequent actions - Bruce and the PSC/Solicitor-General cass-cass & Derick Smith's and the JLP's line of having cops on standby to jail PNP persons on Smith's say-so come to mind.

Dictatorship on the horizon?
      Omar is a member of the PNP, who gonna believe him? Oh ... only you and other PNP cheerleaders.

Speaking with Caribbean Business Report earlier this week, Derek Peart, the present executive director of the BGLC, said: "We were given instructions by the then minister of finance, Dr Omar Davies back in 2004 to issue a grant for Mr Mullings as a special advisor on racing to the Ministry of Finance. Mr Mullings did not offer his services to the BGLC so we have no idea what kind of contribution or services he offered between 2004 to 2007.

Omar run wid it in 2002 and saw nothing wrong with it ..... how can anyone take what him say seriously? Why is it the Executive Director have no idea what Mullings did?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

But hold on.. what yuh expect Davies to seh ?

LOL.

This is like Paulwell giving his version of the Bulb Scandal and yuh eat it up as Gospel.

A previous article raised some serious questions which deserved an answer.

You have a problem with that ?

You apparantly are not aware of the Genetic Country Club the PNP administration was running prior to their removal.

EVERY 'Consultancy' has to be probed and thoroughly based on the demonstrated WASTE and 'retirement packages'.

Comment

Finance Minister seeks answer on consultancy contract

Finance Minister Audley Shaw on Monday night issued a challenge to former Finance Minister Dr. Omar Davies to provide an explanation for the $4 million consultancy contract reportedly granted to a former Parliamentarian.

According to reports carried elsewhere in the media, the former Minister was hired as a consultant to an agency which falls under the Finance Ministry.

Mr. Shaw says there are several unanswered questions regarding the arrangement.

"Let him answer to the people of Jamaica, what was the justification for expending such a large amount of money for consultancy from one former minister of government who has his hefty pension already that he's gone home with. I have never seen a set of people so barefaced in all my life," said Mr. Audley.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Power corrupts.. 18 years of it.. well.. what yuh expect ?

Comment

Working...
            X