• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are plans to destroy the PNP real?

Are plans to destroy the PNP real?
    Christopher Burns
    Monday, November 26, 2007

THE question many are asking these days is, "Is there any truth to rumours that some well-placed individuals and a quasi-political group are developing plans to annihilate the People's National Party?"
    Christopher Burns
    This raging question is gaining momentum like a wildfire in a dry forest. Equally frightening is the level of believability that is accompanying these mumblings, buttressed by a cosy acceptance of the local axiom that "If a nuh suh, then a near suh."

Consequently, those who prefer to either dismiss it or ignore the magnitude this potential political quagmire could cause if it materialises, should think twice.

There might be no glaring signs of disquiet at the moment, or the occasional howls of protest about this very intense and potentially explosive perception, but contrary to what some believe the perceived attempts have not escaped many; some of whom are stealthily planning to mount staunch opposition to any such attempt.
    I first heard the story about a month ago. A reliable source told me of rumblings in certain quarters that neither money nor effort will be spared in ensuring that the party (founded by a group of visionaries in 1938 and led by the likes of the late Norman and Michael Manley, super strategist PJ Patterson, and the instinctive egalitarian Portia Simpson Miller) is structurally and politically decimated.

These plans, the source said, are to ensure that come the next general elections, the JLP would be up against a political party that does not spell PNP.

It was during this conversation that I was informed of the Cabinet's and the JLP's decision to fuel the resurgence of the Trafigura investigations and of other muckraking plans that principal strategists inside and outside the JLP administration are likely to pursue. However, as my late father would say, "'Tan and see nuh spoil nuh dance, is interference that spoils it."

That aside, let us examine the Trafigura affair. From the very outset, I took the position that while two wrongs do not make a right, I was willing to render the PNP an object of scorn for allowing its name to be mixed up with the opprobrium associated with the reputation of Trafigura. I made it abundantly clear subsequently and now restate that the PNP, in accepting or even attempting to contrive such a deal, lowered its pedigree 10 folds. If bribery or any other acts of malfeasance are proved, then let the chips fall where they may. I still abominate the actions of the JLP for aiding and abetting breaches of the Bank of Jamaica regulations and for allowing maliciousness to trump legality.

Having said that though, any continuance of the Trafigura investigations cannot ignore the need to (a) fortify against and discourage potential breaches of banking regulations, (b) reasonably enact the whistleblower legislation, and (c) complete development and implementation of far-reaching campaign finance reforms, specifically as they address local and international funding of political parties in Jamaica. The motives here cannot simply be to achieve political persecutions or to promote character assassination. The Jamaican maxim is on target here when it says, "When one man's beard is on fire, wet yours."

Attempting to send former government ministers to prison out of spite does not answer the fundamental question about limiting or eliminating the corrupting influence that big money has on democracies such as ours. It does not answer the question about the presence or power of surrogate prime ministers who weren't elected as such.

If the last general elections were anything to go by, this JLP government has absolutely no moral authority to be moving as it is without a fulsome disclosure of the sources and application of election funds, estimated at some J$1.2 billion. The PNP and the fledgling NDM must also meet this litmus test.

In many ways, the PNP now finds itself in a difficult situation. And, like other opposition parties, it now operates in very challenging circumstances in which the private sector, segments of the media and civil society are indifferent towards it and are concerned more about furthering their political agendas and less with the interest of the populace. While only time will expose the worth of these budding perceptions and rumours of obliteration, the PNP cannot roll over and play dead.

Instead, it has to devise honest means of financing itself and its activities. It must come to the realisation that "a house divided against itself cannot stand" and move to repair the threatening cracks within its structure - the party can no longer pretend otherwise.

The sooner the PNP moves to clear out the muck from the innermost parts of its bowels that is being masqueraded as healthy innards, the healthier it will be to ward off any untoward assaults. No organisation is perfect and its strength and longevity are dependent on the sum of all efforts. Therefore, the soul searching must start at the very top and managed in a way that produces the requisite changes. In this regard, the PNP should revisit the mobilisation and communication programmes and group resurgence strategies of the 1980s.

Critical to this process is the question of leadership, parliamentary activism, fixity of purpose and cogency of response to government statements. All these things require an active, sufficiently informed, and proactive party leader.

A leader who is capable of distinguishing between political power and authority, outlining a set of ideological imperatives that will inform the party's stance on governance, and can articulate a clear vision of the party's philosophical thinking, while simultaneously providing a road map which points to the direction the government-in-waiting would take the country should it regain state power. Methinks that the leadership issue must be part of the party's rebranding, restructuring, marketing, and outreach initiatives.
    Burnscg@aol.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

what dis mean? "instinctive egalitarian"...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Burns sounds like Don1. LoL

Governing party always has more funds. Gotta add the Bulb money, hurricane relief money, run wid it money and Trafiguresque money.

Comment

Some truth to it; cause
        mi get ah talk fram man whey move roun dem an it nuh pretty. certain ting whey inna paper now Nanny P didn't even did know bout it it till it buss. Almshouse ah gwaan an a labourite ah tell mi dis.

Comment

the trafigura heads up was said to be based on a source that was "solid as a rock"!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

nu worry yuhself,
            everyting soon get saart out

Comment

WHAT?! me, worry?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                WHAT?! me, worry?
                Nanny p did'nt do much for ja.Bruce Golding
                Approach her to set up term limits she
                Bow out cause she thought she was going
                To do more than two terms,term limits a pinnacle of Our Democracy she refuted. michael 3 yrs.
                Pj14 yrs.portia 6 yrs dat a 23.Its not the,'same
                Ole' with andrew,but if wi did have him under
                Term limits it would has been better.A
                A condition 3rd term is a compromise of all
                Ruling MPs agreed n two opposing MPs
                ( should be annexing to constitution)
                Portia made a bad mistake wit za term limits.
                She mek di 'jah' people angry up ah n.y.c tuh
                Cause of failing on promises.if Phillips had
                the chance Portia had,he might had done
                Better.
                Last edited by wbvs; October 31, 2018, 05:09 PM.
                Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Burns nuh have nothing fi write bout?

PNP better do some work as some JLP is working. Joke business and sweet talk nah go work. Andrew is a smart young man.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                  X