• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All in the family

All in the family
    published: Sunday | September 2, 2007

Gareth Manning, Sunday Gleaner Reporter
    It is well known that several of our politicians from both sides of the divide are related, whether by blood or marriage. Our political history is replete with it.

In the past, there was Sir Alexander Bustamante and Norman Manley, the founding fathers of both major parties, who were first cousins.

Then there were several other brothers and fathers and sons, and even husbands and wives, who were politically active at the same time in both parties.

The Sunday Gleaner had a chat with analyst and political historian Michael Burke last week and unearthed some of those interesting connections. Some may leave you saying 'Really? I never knew that!'

Bruce Golding and Pearnel Charles - brothers-in-law
    This is a well-known one. Bruce Golding's wife, Lorna is the sister of Pearnel Charles.

Paul Burke and James Robertson - first cousins
    The two men share the same grandfather, Rudolph Burke, a minister of government during the Norman Manley administration of the 1950s. One of his four daughters Hermenia Burke married Ishmael Robertson in 1964 and had three children, one of them being James.

Paul Burke and Andrew Gallimore - cousins
    Joy Helen Burke, an aunt of Paul, married Gifford Gallimore, the eldest son of the Jamaica Labour Party's Aabuthnott Gallimore, Member of Parlia-ment for two St. Ann constituencies in the 1940s and '50s. Gifford is brother to Neville Gallimore, Andrew Gallimore's father, the JLP candidate for West Rural St. Andrew.

Edward Seaga and Andrew Gallimore - cousins

Gifford Gallimore's mother's maiden name was Maxwell. It was also the name of Edward Seaga's mother, who was a first cousin to Gifford's mother. That makes Andrew Gallimore and Edward Seaga's children third-generation cousins.

Paul Burke and Edward Seaga - cousins

Gifford Gallimore's children are first cousins to the Burkes, and second cousins to Seaga's children.

Edward Seaga and Michael Peart, Dean Peart - cousins

Edward Seaga is a second-generation cousin to the PNP Manchester candidates Dean and Michael Peart. It is not clear, but Seaga's mother is a first cousin to one of the brothers' parents.

Andrew Gallimore and James Robertson - cousins

James' aunt, Joy Helen Burke's marriage to Gifford Gallimore, the uncle of Andrew Gallimore, makes the two second-generation cousins by marriage.

Edward Seaga and James Robertson - cousins

Apart from their connection through the Gallimores, James' father's sister married an Englishman and had a daughter who became the wife of Andrew Seaga. So, James Robertson is a cousin-in-law to Seaga's son.

Paul Burke and K.D. Knight
    The two are connected through Walter Vanvervin, who was an uncle-in-law to Paul Burke. Walter is first cousin to K.D. Knight's mother. Walter's son Peter, who would be second cousin to K.D., is also first cousin to Paul Burke and James Robertson.

James Robertson and Anthony Hylton

There could be a faint connection between these two men who ran against each other in 2002 for the West St. Thomas seat. Paul Burke's grandmother, Elsie Hylton Kenny, is a cousin to Anthony Hylton's grandfather. Paul Burke is a first cousin to James Robertson so the two could be related through Paul Burke.

Laurie Broderick and D.K. Duncan - cousins
    It is not clear how they are connected, but the JLP's North Clarendon candidate and the Hanover East candidate are indeed cousins.

Stanley Redwood and Franklyn Witter - cousins
    The genealogy behind their relationship is not clear either, but it is a fact that these two St. Elizabeth candidates are cousins.

gareth.manning@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; November 26, 2007, 11:20 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Funny how de world small and Jamaica even smaller

Now just to add I have done some family research and I am a distant relative of Eddie, Mosiah you may want to check youself cause they are all from that middle part of St Ann where you have roots.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
      Now just to add I have done some family research and I am a distant relative of Eddie, Mosiah you may want to check youself cause they are all from that middle part of St Ann where you have roots.
      Mosiah well blended - dat's why him support the Rasta party - him fraid to offend him generation pon both sides of the fence
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Well I guess, mi wid mi
        maroon blood cyaan jine none ah di party dem On a serious note
        once my Grandma told me all the people I was related to (by her side) and I was shocked. My aunt by my mother's side was the one who let and my best friend and I (from high school) know that we were cousins. Funny thing when his Uncle died my mother ,sister and myself went to the funeral to represent the Uncle's mother side of Family (Birch). Another whole set of family met. I was getting the genealogy once from someone and I said stop because certain things start to surface. This I know now for years and at times feel sad to see Jakans killing each other because almost all are related. (especially from the various counties).

Comment

One Degree of Separation!
          Jamaica? One love!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

suh yuh why yuh cudden tell wi seh yuh and seaga related?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

But it just so happens that 1 Party attracts all the 'Black' Sheep.

The difference is in Execution and Management.. not fanciful theories on ideology.

Comment

Mi an Seaga not related. Where in my
                post I said that? I only speak of the people around me and who I know. I am a black man Gamma and you know it too.

Comment

Suh bredren, when yuh find out yuh related to the demon, what was yuh reaction? See Jawge tun fool already deh. Man like Karlwould jump from a high rise.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

ok...mah bad.....yuh SURE? remember chris seaga is a black man....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Suh bredren, when yuh find out yuh related to the demon, what was yuh reaction? See Jawge tun fool already deh. Man like Karlwould jump from a high rise.
                      Yuh funny bad!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

he was adopted.

Comment

a lie!!!!??? wait deh.....eddie seaga adopt a BLACK child and give him business fi run? what a racist bastard!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                            a lie!!!!??? wait deh.....eddie seaga adopt a BLACK child and give him business fi run? what a racist bastard!!!
                            hehehe .... did someone just shout checkmate? Wait ... watch dem bouce over the board and claim is accident.
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                              Rumour had it there was an adoption...but, the child was Eddie's.
                              btw - Such, if the case, would not be uncommon i.e. the partner who was not the biological parent adopting the other partner's child....through a joint adoption proceeding.

Comment

Working...
                              X