The "Non Issue" Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Non Issue" Issue

I find it very entertaining that when I post on a race/class issue, there is a certain subset of posters responding that this is a "non-issue" or "not important at this time". Yet this same coterie is all over my posts trying to dominate the exchange with some even trying to intimidate (gasp) by making intemperate statements.

One would have thought that if it was really a non-issue such posts as mine would attract little attention. I guess I have hit a nerve. Why so sensitive? It's not meant to be personal.... just social commentary.

I note that there is increasing commentary in the press on this issue by some opinion leaders in society... I don't need their affirmation but it should be clear now to all that the issue is topical.

You guys are hilarious though. Please continue to make my day. I am really encouraged by your reactions to continue to comment on the rot within as well as without.

BTW this is not meant for those who do oppose my views but do so on a reasoned basis (however flawed). Just for the rabid pups.

I'll sit back and enjoy the flowery responses now ..... rabid pups, please don't disappoint.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Yuh dead inna di Don Creary thread. Dead like dawg

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
      I find it very entertaining that when I post on a race/class issue, there is a certain subset of posters responding that this is a "non-issue" or "not important at this time". Yet this same coterie is all over my posts trying to dominate the exchange with some even trying to intimidate (gasp) by making intemperate statements.

One would have thought that if it was really a non-issue such posts as mine would attract little attention. I guess I have hit a nerve. Why so sensitive? It's not meant to be personal.... just social commentary.

I note that there is increasing commentary in the press on this issue by some opinion leaders in society... I don't need their affirmation but it should be clear now to all that the issue is topical.

You guys are hilarious though. Please continue to make my day. I am really encouraged by your reactions to continue to comment on the rot within as well as without.

BTW this is not meant for those who do oppose my views but do so on a reasoned basis (however flawed). Just for the rabid pups.

I'll sit back and enjoy the flowery responses now ..... rabid pups, please don't disappoint.
      I like, what I term the 'tongue in cheer' defense of self i.e. your thinking and your posts. Some of us may take it seriously...I therefore ask, isn't this not the same type of self-serving - (We all make self-serving posts? right? ..setting out our positions which we think correct and thus 'rational persons' would all come to accept the position taken and embrace same? Right? ) - post that those who oppose your stance - (Notice I used 'stance' as it incorporates emotional taken position as well as reasoned position...and for that matter any other position taken for whatsoever reason.) - post we all make.

My? My? Look at the 'back-handed compliment' and the 'heavy hammer' in the last sentence? -

Hey! I am just having fun!
      Today is a great day!

...and, as I have not said it before - You have brought a welcome touch to the board!
      Respek!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Of Conundrums, Class and Chaos

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        I like, what I term the 'tongue in cheer' defense of self i.e. your thinking and your posts. Some of us may take it seriously...I therefore ask, isn't this not the same type of self-serving - (We all make self-serving posts? right? ..setting out our positions which we think correct and thus 'rational persons' would all come to accept the position taken and embrace same? Right? ) - post that those who oppose your stance - (Notice I used 'stance' as it incorporates emotional taken position as well as reasoned position...and for that matter any other position taken for whatsoever reason.) - post we all make.

My? My? Look at the 'back-handed compliment' and the 'heavy hammer' in the last sentence? -

Hey! I am just having fun!
        Today is a great day!

...and, as I have not said it before - You have brought a welcome touch to the board!
        Respek!
        Thanks for the contribution Karl. I take my posts seriously and apprecilove when others do as well.

You point out an interesting and important psychological conundrum...... when one has a deeply held belief, is it by definition solely self serving to promote that belief or is it possible that the belief is integral to a greater good and therefore presumably of service to the majority in society?
        Since the serious posters here all, I assume, believe in the ideas they express and also presumably feel they have society's interest at heart, we all face that question even if it's unacknowledged.

The problem arises in the extant issue of Jamaican classism/racism, when one cannot separate deeply ingrained class prejudices and political biases from one's analysis and the resultant response to posts on the matter. Such a separation, it appears to me, is necessary to even remotely be able to project a truly national position. Some are able to do it and some are clearly unable or unwilling even to make an attempt.
        Those who have the hardest time at this separation are easily identified through two common traits:

1. You will never see any serious criticism by them of their favoured political entity or its actors.

2. Their positions on issues are a mixture of a "tit for tat" political point scoring in respose to the attack they perceive on their political favourites and personal attacks on the (now hated) messenger daring to criticise their champions. There is little attempt at intellectual engagement on the issue.... the rule of engagement is... attack the messenger on a personal level. The message will be obfuscated or diminished in the resulting confusion.... mission accomplished only if we fall into the trap.

This is transparently immature behaviour even to a high school debater and would not deter any adult, least of all yours truly.
        BTW this occurs on both sides of the political divide but the partisans with the the wind at their backs are clearly and understandably more aggressive in this behaviour at the current time.

Happily the above is a minority (is this a freudian slip?) position and there exist reasonable minds who disagree with me on this board who I'm at pains to differentiate from the more rabid set.
        As to the "back hand" stuff and "hammer" that's just my style..... "last lick". After all....... they still do disagree with me.
        One must have fun some time musn't one?

Your respek is big as well as concrete.
        Last edited by Don1; November 26, 2007, 09:27 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Thanks for the contribution Karl. I take my posts seriously and apprecilove when others do as well.

You point out an interesting and important psychological conundrum...... when one has a deeply held belief, is it by definition solely self serving to promote that belief or is it possible that the belief is integral to a greater good and therefore presumably of service to the majority in society?
          Since the serious posters here all, I assume, believe in the ideas they express and also presumably feel they have society's interest at heart, we all face that question even if it's unacknowledged.

The problem arises in the extant issue of Jamaican classism/racism, when one cannot separate deeply ingrained class prejudices and political biases from one's analysis and the resultant response to posts on the matter. Such a separation, it appears to me, is necessary to even remotely be able to project a truly national position. Some are able to do it and some are clearly unable or unwilling even to make an attempt.
          Those who have the hardest time at this separation are easily identified through two common traits:

1. You will never see any serious criticism by them of their favoured political entity or its actors.

2. Their positions on issues are a mixture of a "tit for tat" political point scoring in respose to the attack they perceive on their political favourites and personal attacks on the (now hated) messenger daring to criticise their champions. There is little attempt at intellectual engagement on the issue.... the rule of engagement is... attack the messenger on a personal level. The message will be obfuscated or diminished in the resulting confusion.... mission accomplished only if we fall into the trap.

This is transparently immature behaviour even to a high school debater and would not deter any adult, least of all yours truly.
          BTW this occurs on both sides of the political divide but the partisans with the the wind at their backs are clearly and understandably more aggressive in this behaviour at the current time.

Happily the above is a minority (is this a freudian slip?) position and there exist reasonable minds who disagree with me on this board who I'm at pains to differentiate from the more rabid set.
          As to the "back hand" stuff and "hammer" that's just my style..... "last lick". After all....... they still do disagree with me.
          One must have fun some time musn't one?

Your respek is big as well as concrete.
          Respek!
          ...and, why are you pointing at Maudib and Lazie?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            Respek!
            ...and, why are you pointing at Maudib and Lazie?
            If I was grading this respose I would give you 50%...... which in my book is a failing grade.

I'm trying to stay on issues however and away from personalities.
            Suh..... Doan draw mi tongue!

Comment

If I was grading this respose I would give you 50%...... which in my book is a failing grade.

I'm trying to stay on issues however and away from personalities.
              Suh..... Doan draw mi tongue!

Tek mi grade, sah!

Comment

Working...
              X