For the Aspirants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Aspirants

Critical thinking consists of mental processes of discernment, analysis and evaluation. It includes all possible processes of reflecting upon a tangible or intangible item in order to form a solid judgment that reconciles scientific evidence with common sense.
    Critical thinkers gather information from all senses, verbal and/or written expressions, reflection, observation, experience and reasoning. Critical thinking has its basis in intellectual criteria that go beyond subject-matter divisions and which include: clarity, credibility, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, significance and fairness.
    source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking

Overcoming bias
    There is no simple way to reduce one's bias. There are, however, ways that one can begin to do so. The most important require developing one's intellectual empathy and intellectual humility. The first requires extensive experience in entering and accurately constructing points of view toward which one has negative feelings. The second requires extensive experience in identifying the extent of one's own ignorance in a wide variety of subjects (ignorance whose admission leads one to say, "I thought I knew, but I merely believed"). One becomes less biased and more broad-minded when one becomes more intellectually empathic and intellectually humble, and that involves time, deliberate practice and commitment. It involves considerable personal and intellectual development.
    To develop one's critical thinking abilities, one should learn the art of suspending judgment (for example, when reading a novel, watching a movie, engaging in dialogical or dialectical reasoning). Ways of doing this include adopting a perceptive rather than judgmental orientation; that is, avoiding moving from perception to judgment as one applies critical thinking to an issue.
    One should become aware of one's own fallibility by:
    1. accepting that everyone has subconscious biases, and accordingly questioning any reflexive judgments.
    2. adopting an ego-sensitive and, indeed, intellectually humble stance
    3. recalling previous beliefs that one once held strongly but now rejects
    4. realizing one still has numerous blind spots, despite the foregoing
    An integration of insights from the critical thinking literature and cognitive psychology literature is the "Method of Argument and Heuristic Analysis." This technique illustrates the influeces of heuristics and biases on human decision making along with the influences of thinking critically about reasons and claims. Thinking and Reasoning in Human Decision Making [3]

Quotations:
    William Graham Sumner offers a useful summary of critical thinking:
    The critical habit of thought, if usual in society, will pervade all its mores, because it is a way of taking up the problems of life. Men educated in it cannot be stampeded by stump orators ... They are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain. They can wait for evidence and weigh evidence, uninfluenced by the emphasis or confidence with which assertions are made on one side or the other. They can resist appeals to their dearest prejudices and all kinds of cajolery. Education in the critical faculty is the only education of which it can be truly said that it makes good citizens.
    Martin Luther King said:
    The function of education, therefore, is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically . . . The complete education gives one not only power of concentration but worthy objectives upon which to concentrate.

Well.. that pretty much disqualifies the comrades..

"We ALWAYS believe that we are best for the country, so ANYTHING that causes us to be in power is therefore best for the country"

Using Critical Thinking I can find no threat to Financial Markets by releasing information regarding what currency rate Omar Davis based his budget on in march.. critically because it is now November and that rate has been exceeded.

I am open to other arguments however since it is possible there is data I do not possess... can you provide any such ?

Comment

What did the Spanish King say? There you go again dividing the world....and you WANT to call yourself a 'Critical Thinker'....you should return your certification....

Comment

You probably need to think about it some more.

Cultism and Critical Thinking do not mix well:

"We always believe..."

Who is "we" ?

Comment

Return it? There was no money back guarantee on it when he bought it.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

What are you quoting? I thought you never knew how to use "___"?

Comment

You on a different page.

Comment

Working...
              X