Bruce given another lesson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce given another lesson!

Dollar dilemma - Golding reveals 2007/08 Budget exchange rate, chided by Davies
    published: Wednesday | November 21, 2007

Edmond Campbell, News Coordinator

Prime Minister Bruce Golding making his contribution to a debate in Parliament yesterday. - Rudolph Brown/Chief Photographer

Prime Minister Bruce Golding revealed in Parliament yesterday that the former Portia Simpson Miller administration had calculated the 2007/2008 Budget on an exchange rate of J$71 to US$1.

But former Minister of Finance, Dr. Omar Davies, said he was surprised that the Prime Minister had disclosed that information, noting that it had always been the policy of the previous administration and the relevant officials not to discuss that "for obvious reasons".

Mr. Golding, commenting on the $16 billion expenditure that was not included in the Budget, said: "We understand that when you cast a budget that there may be changes, there may be price movements and you have to make adjustments, but we are talking about items that were left out.

"A lot has been said about price movements, a lot has been said about exchange-rate movements. I am (here) to tell this House that the current Budget, which is being pursued to March next year, was calculated on the basis of a US$71/J$1," he disclosed.

Mr. Golding was debating a resolution to transfer nearly $3 billion from the Capital Development Fund to be used for budgetary support.

Cautioned
    But speaking with journalists after the sitting of the House, Dr. Davies said he was cautioned by his technicians not to release information on the rate of exchange or interest rate that they had projected.

"I am quite surprised that he (Golding) did and I do not believe that he was properly advised. His financial advisors would not have suggested that that be done," Dr. Davies contended.

He argued that if at the start of a financial year, the Government indicated the exchange rate or the interest rate on which the Budget was cast, this would have negative implications for speculation.

Commenting on the former administration's decision to calculate the budget at J$71 to US$1, Dr. Davies said if a government projected an exchange rate that was too low, "then you would under provide, so you make an assumption and then you manage the economy during the year".
    "You would have noted in my 14 years I would never indicate several times the question was asked what is the exchange rate on which you have built the budget and I would not respond," said Davies.

At the start of the current fiscal year in April, the Jamaican dollar traded at $67.81 to US$1. This means that the Jamaican dollar, which now trades at $71.33 to US$1 has slid by 5.19 per cent since April.
    edmond.campbell@gleanerjm.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I want to know - do our labourite friends agree or disagree that such information should not be disclosed?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Course change don't it?... unuh and Omar nuh learn that yet?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

i am sure you are not expecting an answer... just a lack of experience on the part of the prime minister... its his first time around at leading a country... let's cut him some slack... an intellectual and designated driver is more deserving than the termite infested brains of the opposition and its leadership...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Can you answer my question? Is Omar right that such information should never be disclosed?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There's always hope, no?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Don't unnu say unnu want transparency? You can't have it both way.

So they projected that the dollar would reach $71?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Can you answer my question? Is Omar right that such information should never be disclosed?
                I don't know! What if the new gov't is taking a different approach? Nuh dat unuh ... sorry ... nuh dat others put dem deh fah?
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

missa unuh lazie... you never cease to amaze... wasnt expecting anything of substance from you...

i realize you cannot see the ramifications of such disclosure by the leader of all persons...

Comment

please... weh tk did seh again... 'de best indicator...'

Comment

Thanks for the response. Unlike you to respond, and so quickly too! Almost had a coronary!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well, he did respond. And as expected, he must side with Bruce.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Okay, so now that I have overcome the fact that you responded, are you saying that you wouldn't have a problem with this new method by Bruce?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                            missa unuh lazie... you never cease to amaze... wasnt expecting anything of substance from you...

i realize you cannot see the ramifications of such disclosure by the leader of all persons...
                            Unlike many of "unuh" I can look at both sides. Some of you are only holding a position to support Omar. Guh back ... you'll see my response to Mosiah is "I don't know!"

Mi notice unuh fail to see that even though Omar dem blaming the new gov't for the rate being 71 ... it was what they actually projected for. Gwaan play dandy shady.

Comment

Two of my tasks when I worked in the private sector in Jamaica was purchasing of products and materials produced outside of the island and costing of same.

Vital to whether or not purchases would be made is 'not eroding profit-margins'...and or taking informed decisions on targeting profit margins desired. This ofcourse, among other things had budget implications. As there was then a somewhat similar situation as now obtains in the economy meetings were held and forecasting made on the exchange rate.

Any cursory look (causal look...passing glance...a look that even a dummy could have...rapid superficial look..) at the matter of being able to achieve targets tells the tale that failure to, which some degree of accuracy predict movement of exchange rate would have dire consequences.

Now Bruce knows that exchange rate forecasting must be taken into consideration when budgeting!!!!

I hope he also realises that noising abroad the exchange rate makes others who would not have thought of including that type foreign exchange forecasting in their budget will result in the reaction of the market...a psychological market effect of being pessimestic (planning with higher exchange rate) and result in their looking at that exchange rate...the time the decision on it was taken...the results of the elections...the effect of the hurricane season...the unexpected government addition to pressure on the dollar (the give-a-ways) and the current external market conditions...$%age buffer addition to protect self/entity/organisation and thus pressure the Jamaican dollar?

The result is going to be among other things increase COL.

What did the JCC spokesperson say about - willingness to learn, etc? Full marks to Bruce and his JLP? Dem betta cum hup tuh speed fas or dwag nyam dem suppa - 6 months minority government - but, worse dwag nyam fi wi suppa?!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X