Tax system receives a failing grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax system receives a failing grade

A World Bank study has listed Jamaica among the countries where it is most difficult to pay taxes.

The findings were released Tuesday following a study conducted by the international accounting firm, PriceWaterhouse Coopers.

Jamaica was included in a list of 10 economies where the taxation system received a failing grade.

Some of the other countries at the bottom of the scale were Panama and Mauritania.

Oil-producing countries such as Oman, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait were in the top 10.

Other top performers were Singapore, Hong Kong and New Zealand.

To create the report, PricewaterhouseCoopers asked its branches in 178 countries to analyze how much tax would fall on a small company.

An assessment was also done on how much effort it would take to pay these taxes.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    A World Bank study has listed Jamaica among the countries where it is most difficult to pay taxes.

Difficult to pay taxes?
    It could not be about producing tax returns and sending in a cheque or cheques? ...could it?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

No Karl you go a di office and them nuh have the right records or it close during business hours.

Mi father live a kingston and have fi run go a St.Mary to pay his tax during his business day as there is no other way to pay it.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No Karl,

A study showed that the typical business in Jam. had to make on average 144 tax declarations and payments per year 9all kinds of taxes included). The admin cost is just OUTRAGEOUS. I think this is a big factor in the low compliance.

I recall being shocked when I saw it.

Comment

Working...
        X