X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javaughn: Young and talented

Javaughn: Young and talented

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Only 14-years-old and already he's already an icon in the making. Portland's little star, Javaughn Bolt, who goes by the stage name Javaughn, is considered to be a child prodigy in reggae music.
    The cover of Javaughn's Superstar album.
    From the Ghetto Youths label to the Tuff Gong International, Javaughn's Superstar album is out in stores today. And if you missed the premiere of the Superstar video on ER on Friday night, look out for the Superstar video for when it hits the E-Strip Hitlist countdown.
    Last Friday marked the kick-off of a hectic week of promotion for the Superstar album. But this is not the beginning for Javaughn.
    Javaughn started performing with the Sensation Band from Port Antonio from as early as four-years-old and it was really a dream for this youngster. While every other four year-old was busy watching cartoons or eating ice-cream on a regular Sunday evening, Javaughn was busy doing Sunday night stints at various hotels along the Portland Coast.
    As he developed his instrumental acumen (he plays keyboard, bass guitar and drums) and his talent as solid cultural singer before he was 10, word spread like wild fire about this 'Genius' and soon he was booked for shows like, Sting in 1999, East Fest in 2003, Portland Jerk Fest and other major Jamaican shows.
    Having lost his mother at the tender age of six in a car accident, all was not gone for this youngster. With a supportive and loving father like Javaughn's, who is also musically versatile (he taught Javaughn to play the keyboard, bass guitar and drums), songwriter (he wrote eight of the 10 songs on the album) and singer, Javaughn's future was already planned from he was in his mother's womb.
    "When he was in the womb, I always envisioned him becoming a star. I read about the womb training and I decide I would give it a try."
    Javaughn's father, John Bolt, recounts placing the keyboard by his child's mother's belly while singing. "His mother would say that he was responding and moving around a lot, so I knew he would be good at music."
    John Bolt himself is no stranger to the music scene. In fact, the next time you see the move Mighty Quinn, starring Denzel Washington, Mimi Rogers and Jamaica's very own Sheryl Lee Ralph, look for him as he plays in the backing band.
    A fourth-former at the Fair Prospect High School in Portland, Javaughn sure knows that time management is essential in a successful future for anyone.
    Doing eight subjects, Electrical and Electronic Technology, Geography, Physics, Mathematics, English Language, Technical Drawing, Chemistry, Building and juggling two extra subjects (Human and Social Biology and Social Studies) for the 2008 Caribbean Secondary Education Certification examinations means that Javaughn believes that education is the way to a secure future.
    Javaughn doesn't want to depend only on his music but on building several careers, one of which includes architecture. With the support from his stepmother, who is a teacher, he says he's knows he can accomplish anything he puts his mind towards.
    "I was on tour over the summer and I had some assignments that I got before I went off but it was due at the beginning of the upcoming school year. The same night I came back, I started doing his project and when I gave it in the next day I got 99 per cent, with the help of my stepmom."
    When asked how he manages school and his music, he said, "I manage because I voice my songs on holiday. I know that there is a time for everything. When it's school it's school, when it's music it's music. But sometimes I have to sacrifice some of school for music."
    TEENage asked Javaughn if he would enter the Digicel Rising Star competition and he said no.
    "I'm already signed with a record label," and he adds that he is quite known in the music industry because of his numerous appearances across the island.
    Javaughn, now under the tutelage of the Marley clan through Tuff Gong Ghetto Youth label, still has a lot to learn. In the four years since young Javaughn was introduced to the Marley family by Junie Star of Prime Time Entertainment, he has been getting advice on how to approach the business. And he has been on several tours to Las Vegas, Los Angeles and other locations with Stephen Marley of producing fame.
    What kinds of advice have they given him?
    "Well, Stephen and Damian (Jr Gong Marley) tell not to get giddy-headed, Because a lot of artiste start off on one level then they move away from it because of the hype. They tell to keep doing good, conscious music and stay focussed."
    Javaughn who is 5 feet 3 inches tall also enjoys playing football where he plays right link. Even though he thinks Liverpool might win the EUFA Champions League, his favourite international player is Christiano Ronaldo. Javaughn also likes to play cricket in his spare time, when he unleashes his fast medium ball.
    TEENage wishes Javaughn all the best with his music and his future plans and looking forward in getting more conscious music from him. Look out for him on the Welcome to Jamrock showcase on December 21.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X