X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House gives Dutch go-ahead to probe Trafigura donation

ALICIA DUNKLEY, Observer staff reporter
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007

PARLIAMENT yesterday passed a resolution giving permission to Dutch investigators to probe the $31-million donation to the previous People's National Party government by oil-trading firm Trafigura Beheer.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding, who had brought the resolution to the House seeking to affirm a Ministerial Order as the first of several steps to allow Dutch investigators into the island, earlier dismissed suggestions that giving leave to Dutch authorities to investigate the $31-million donation to the former government could open up the country to possible violation.

The suggestion was put forward by opposition spokesman on foreign affairs, Anthony Hylton.

Hylton said that the opposition was "not opposing simply to be obstructive" as it felt the matter required ventilation, but was concerned that "any widespread granting of authority to undertake that kind of investigation would have implications for the constitution.

".To give any blanket authority could have implications for our own domestic laws because the Dutch are seeking to enter the jurisdiction to undertake certain activities that are the prerogative of sovereign states," Hylton said.

"We have to be very clear that there are certain safeguards. The opposition at this time is saying whilst it understands the necessity for the Order, the scope of the Order and what is being granted has to be tailored so that safeguard measures are in place," the shadow minister said.

The opposition, Hylton said, needed to be comforted that what was being agreed to was not intended to facilitate a one-off arrangement but that there would be "a principled and schematic arrangement with the Dutch Government".

Golding, who had last week announced that the Dutch would be investigating Trafigura's donation, told the House that there a number of safeguards built into the Mutual Assistance Act which would guide the conduct of the investigations and which gave discretionary powers to the Director of Public Prosecution, the central authority named in the Act.

"We do feel that it is a matter which requires serious investigation. We thought it was significant that both Jamaica and the Netherlands are signatories to the UN Convention Against Transnational Organised Crime, so there is no incompatibility between us or no incongruence in responding to the request for legal assistance," the prime minister said.

Golding last week told the House that the Dutch authorities had been seeking permission since February from the Jamaican government to undertake "official legal investigations into the Trafigura donation but were denied by the previous administration on the grounds that it did not fall under the necessary legislative arrangements
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"Hylton said that the opposition was "not opposing simply to be obstructive" as it felt the matter required ventilation, but was concerned that "any widespread granting of authority to undertake that kind of investigation would have implications for the constitution."

Oh really now?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I hope the PNP does not cooperate with any investigation, as much as is legally possible.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        I hope the PNP does not cooperate with any investigation, as much as is legally possible.
        Not surprized.

Comment

Not surprised that your ministers can lie to the Jamaican people and report zero expenses for the election campaign. That is an insult to the people. But then again, if wi dark...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not surprised that your ministers can lie to the Jamaican people and report zero expenses for the election campaign. That is an insult to the people. But then again, if wi dark...
            There you go with yuh Danny Buck imitation again. Yuh perfecting the art. You have proof he is lying, or as usual yuh making an ASSumption? It is clear those you idolize broke Jamaican laws, but becuase you're a good comrade you want to sweep it under the carpet? Kinda hypocritical when unuh want to crucify corpie when it duh the same fi rip up a traffic ticket.

Then when yuh ready yuh come a quote, the line in the national anthem bout justice?

Comment

Let mi talk plain - YOU WOULD BE A JACKASS IF YOU BELIEVE THAT ROBERTSON SPENT ZERO DOLLARS ON HIS ELECTION CAMPAIGN!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Let mi talk plain - YOU WOULD BE A JACKASS IF YOU BELIEVE THAT ROBERTSON SPENT ZERO DOLLARS ON HIS ELECTION CAMPAIGN!
                WTF does Robertson have to do with this thread? Yuh gov't either tek a bribe, which is a crime in Jamaica ... well, unless its the PNP based on your ridiculous stance. Tiefing money that belongs to the taxpayers is a crime, remember, the Dutch waan talk to PCJ personnel too. Suh why would any "well thinking" Jamaican not want the investigation to go forward?

Gwaan bitch bout yuh hangups with Robertson ....

Comment

It's about openness, transparency, honesty and integrity, Lazie. You cannot choose when those things should be in effect.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's about openness, transparency, honesty and integrity, Lazie. You cannot choose when those things should be in effect.
                    Strange ... isn't Trafigura about openess, transparency, honesty and integrity? Wait ... its the PNP, suh dem above the law? Or as the saying goes, "The law is not a shackle? Sorry I am not in dat!

Point out where I'm choosing when they should be implemented? As usual yuh making ASSumputions Mosiah.

Comment

Why there is no penalty for this?

Didn't the PNP know people was going to take advantage of the fool fool law.

How can you trust politician "in good faith".
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No penalty for dishonest election campaign declarations? I wonder myself.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No penalty for dishonest election campaign declarations? I wonder myself.
                          Gwaan play hopsctoch round serious issues Mosiah.

Comment

Cut the ASSumption thing. Stale bad!

The point, Lazie, is that there should be honesty and transparency about everything, Trafigura included. I was livid about the Trafigura nonsense when it happened. (You may choose to forget that.) But when I see James Robertson try tek me fi eediat...I guess he never realised dat mi nuh suh dark.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cut the ASSumption thing. Stale bad!

The point, Lazie, is that there should be honesty and transparency about everything, Trafigura included. I was livid about the Trafigura nonsense when it happened. (You may choose to forget that.) But when I see James Robertson try tek me fi eediat...I guess he never realised dat mi nuh suh dark.
                              But .. yuh confusing yuhself now. Who said they wanted the PNP to "aviod" the questions any legal way possible, but now stating "honesty and transparency about everything?" Mek up yuh mind.

If yuh have a problem with what JAmes Robertson said ... FINE. But why the fanatic stance regarding Trafigura? Get serious man.

Comment

Working...
                              X