Dr. Davies challenges the Finance Minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Davies challenges the Finance Minister

Opposition Spokesman on Finance, Dr Omar Davies, has demanded that Finance Minister Audley Shaw outline in clear terms, the economic direction being pursued by the government.

Dr. Davies was participating in a Parliamentary debate on a resolution to draw down just over $3-billion from the Capital Development Fund.

He noted that the resolution to draw down the funds provided by the Bauxite
    Levy, had been undertaken by Prime Minister Bruce Golding who now has responsibility for the Planning portfolio.

Dr. Davies was in charge of both the Finance and Planning portfolio for 14 of the 18 years of the last People's National Party (PNP) administration.

He charged that the current Finance Minister's role has been diminished without the Planning portfolio.

The former Finance Minister argued that this will have implications for the tasks of the Finance Minister.

He complained that the Capital Development Fund and the Statistical Institute of Jamaica, which provides fundamental information needed for the planning of the fiscal budget and structuring the macro-economy, had been removed from the Ministry of Finance.

Mr. Shaw sat quietly as the former Finance Minister challenged him to come clean in terms of the fiscal direction being taken by the government.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Dr. Davis may have a point, but why is he directing the question about spliting planning and finance? Shouldn't that be directed to the PM? Afterall he is the driver. Then again, doesn't the MOF report to the PM? So what if the PM manages the Planning Portfolio?

Bruce may have looked at Omar's tenure and decided thats not the way to go ... course affi change. I wonder why no one responded to him? Shaw must be thinking that termite infest him brain.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yes, Davies must forget the fact that 4 people have took his place.

I am yet to see Davies lose a challenge.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I am yet to see Davis grow the economy more than 2% in ANY YEAR of his tenure..

His reckless behaviour in 2002 was impressive... Davis have no talk.. he had his chance and he blew it.. him fi shut up now and si if him can learn anyting..
        Last edited by Muadib; November 21, 2007, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Yes, Davies must forget the fact that 4 people have took his place.

I am yet to see Davies lose a challenge.
          Maybe thats why he should have been on that side of the house from earlier. The fact remain he was a disaster when it came to managing the countries finances. Then again, cheerleaders like you cannot admit that.

Comment

it is possible for one man to cause so much damage that it tek 4 people to fix it! i think this is the case.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Let's see them fix it!

Looking forward to that 6%!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

let's see...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Where was Davis's plan.

The man bob and weive his way through.

he couldn't even create a budget that he didn't have to revisit and up in 6 months.

Yes Mo that is fact.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And that is why I am happy that we have 4 people addressing this most important area.

Yay!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well if them fix it fine if not then them get fired, simply.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        Well if them fix it fine if not then them get fired, simply.
                        Well that goes without saying. This is a JLP gov't .. and irrespective of how good they may do, this is a one term gov't.

Comment

well not sure if it always goes without saying...past practice would indicate otherwise.

Comment

Finance, Planning and Public Service....

Lets see, our Finances are a basket case, the Public Service is dishevelled and Planning was haphazard.

We have MOY + Wehby as his consultant for Finance.
                            Nelson is the MoTPS

and Bruce tek over planning.

Correct math would say 3point something people.
                            Given Omar's results, I would sanction all 10 people tekking over in a rescue mission.

I just dont understand why People think Omar was good when the results speak for themselves.

Comment

Omar Davis was able to hold back the decline of the dollar from $5.50 to $69.. his crowning acheivement was in 2002 and the Budget Announcement in 2003.. talk about currency stabilization..

Comment

Working...
                              X