X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berres Hammond the early years

Beres Hammond 'gets away' at Aquarius
    published: Tuesday | November 20, 2007

Mel Cooke, [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Freelance [COLOR=orange! important]Writer[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Beres Hammond during his performance at Red Stripe Reggae Sumfest 2007 Zenith in [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Montego [COLOR=orange! important]Bay[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. - File

When we left off the Beres Hammond story he had moved into Kingston from St. Mary, done well in the Merritone talent expose and was on the brink of starting his [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]recording [COLOR=orange! important]career[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].
    With Dennis Brown, Culture, Burning Spear, Ernie Smith, Pluto Shervington and Ken Boothe among the prominent singers, Beres Hammond was being urged by producer Willie Lindo to get into recording.
    But Hammond was not ready. "Me jus' a go round an a observe. Them can't get me sing," he said.
    He was singing live with the band Zap Pow, which he had joined in 1975, but the opportunity he wanted was not in front of the crowd.
    Then it came.
    Learning by observation
    "The guys up at Aquarius Records, the Chin-Loys, they had this big old studio in Half-Way Tree sitting down not doing anything. Herman Chin-Loy did know my voice," Hammond said. And he knew Willie Lindo. The offer was made "and true I know there was nobody there ...".
    Wanting solitude was not a matter of being shy. Beres Hammond was learning by observation.
    "Is not everything a man have to tell you," he said. "Approaching the microphone is a whole different world," he said, one of the things he observed being how the experienced singers turned their heads side-on to the microphone for a high note.
    He demonstrates with a note that, in another setting, is worth a couple hundred female yelps and maybe a half-swoon.
    "We did not go to do a whole album," Hammond said. "This is the 70s. Reggae was the thing. Just before I did a thing with Zap Pow."
    A genesis of songs
    "I figured I would be a little bit different, because is a whole heap of wicked reggae singers out there. I didn't think I could compete."
    They started out recording reggae, but when they got to the soul of Got To Get Away and You Don't Have To Lie To Me the people at Aquarius Record Store, who were downstairs, heard it and requested an entire album, which they would fund.
    And that was the genesis of the songs which will be presented with orchestration as done originally on Sunday, December 30, at the National Indoor Sports Complex in a 'Moment' with Beres Hammond and some guests.
    Aquarius said "we have provided the recording facilities, now we will pay the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]musicians[/COLOR][/COLOR]. You get whoever you must get. Don't hold back".
    "That's how we ended up getting the strings. We said the songs require the live sound," Hammond said.
    Hammond laughs merrily as he remembers the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]classical [COLOR=orange! important]musicians[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] coming to the studio, their serious demeanour and their discipline towards their craft. "Them man no play in T-Shirt," he said.
    "It was a nice experience," he said. And what has remained with him is the observation that "Jamaican people are great people".
    "We had a brass section and I said this sound big," Hammond said. The hornsmen included Cedric Brooks, Glen DaCosta and David Madden.
    "That is when Stephen Stanley just started learning the thing. He was like an apprentice on it (the album)," Hammond said.
    Tremendous experience
    The album entitled Soul Reggae, Hammond's full-length debut, came out in 1976, and he says that the same week it was released "the people started taking an interest. Then my troubles just start. After a month and a half the album took off".
    The first time he heard his music from the speakers outside Aquarius in Half-Way Tree was a tremendous experience which he remembers to this day as "the feeling still fresh".
    One Step Ahead was not on the album, which did not have a single. Got to Get Away was considered, but Hammond said no. It was back to the studio with a very special musician - pianist Harold Butler, who built on the lyrics that Hammond already had.
    He says that Harold Butler "is the greatest musician I know to this day. He has something special and different, me no know."
    One Step Ahead was not alone, as Hammond wrote Oh I Miss You for the record's B side. "People love it. Both sides. It shot to number one and could they move it?" he said, smiling. Next: A little more soul and rockers.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

He says that Harold Butler "is the greatest musician I know to this day. He has something special and different, me no know."

i have to concur! visionary and genius!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Anybody know where I can get a Soul Reggae CD to buy? Does it exist? I been trying to find it for the longest while.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

It is so sad how this genius fade away.

I use to see him at castleton garden as he never pass and nuh check mi x girl family. It was sad to see how he was fading.

Brilliant musician and you can hear it in Zapow and so many other tunes he played on.

Simply Brilliant.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

i read somewhere that he was playing again!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

He was having some concerts. Mainly other artist get him to perform but he was not really doing nothing new.

Nuff a some the computer riddims of today could do with some touchup from Keyboards and Piano etc. People like Pam Hall, Robbie Lyn, and Butler can take reggae to the next level. Nothing beat a good horns section and a wicked Keyboard added to the drum and bass.

Comment

I miss the horns in reggae music.

Mi always remember listening to my Aswad Live and Direct album when Drummie Zeb say : "Aswad Horns section!" before launching into some of the wikid riddim dem dat D. Brown used.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

aswad came to mind immediately...i think the song you are thinking of is "warrior charge".

aswad had one of the wickedest horn section in reggae...except for any horn section with dean fraser and or the **************** brass.

Comment

David Madden is also a wicked hornsman too

I was thinking of a D. Brown yah now "how could I leave" bwoy since mi move and the youth them a keep mi busy I haven't set up mi sound system or recording system. Mi a go start some Post graduate work yah now and head downstairs go get them togather.

Comment

my d brown fave is "love has found its way"......SMOOOOOOTH.

Comment

that a Boom tune, But what bout "foundation", "stay at home" "Cassandra" "Money in my pocket" "Sitting and Watching"

lawdd too much D.Brown fi talk bout.

maybe the most talent singer in his era but just never maximise the talent properly at all.

Comment

Definately one of his best vocal performances on that track. He had a song named "For You" which I rate highly too.

"How Could I Leave" was my favourite when he was doing a live performance though.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          David Madden is also a wicked hornsman too

I was thinking of a D. Brown yah now "how could I leave" bwoy since mi move and the youth them a keep mi busy I haven't set up mi sound system or recording system. Mi a go start some Post graduate work yah now and head downstairs go get them togather.
                          Yuh caan leff out my 2 hornsman dem - Arnold "Braco" and Nathan "Braco" Brackenridge
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Sorry sis you know the tune thing too .

Smooth

Comment

love and hate is my fave when her performed live...he would start with it....

Comment

Working...
                              X