X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Rhodesia leader Ian Smith dies

Ex-Rhodesia leader Ian Smith dies

Ian Smith obituary

The former prime minister of Rhodesia, Ian Smith, has died aged 88.
    The cause of his death is unknown but he had been ill for some time at a residential home in South Africa.
    He illegally declared independence from Britain in 1965 and his white minority government led the country for 14 years amid international scorn and sanctions.
    Following a bitter bush war with black nationalists, his government was overthrown by Robert Mugabe in 1979, leading to the creation of Zimbabwe.
    The BBC's James Robbins says that to the end of his days Ian Smith was convinced that Rhodesians, black and white, would have fared better under his leadership than in the Zimbabwe of Robert Mugabe and his Zanu-PF party.
    Steeped in the colonial values of his Scottish immigrant father, our correspondent says Mr Smith was a born leader with a distinguished war record as an RAF fighter pilot.
    He helped to found the right-wing Rhodesian Front, which came to power in 1962, and when the-then prime minister, Winston Field, baulked at the prospect of seizing independence, the party turned to Mr Smith, who gave them what they wanted.
    Sidelined
    Years of civil war followed the declaration of independence. Ian Smith denied this was caused by the actions of his regime and insisted there was nothing wrong with five million blacks being ruled by 200,000 whites.
    HAVE YOUR SAY
    His legacy was one of imposing Mugabe on the world

Maggie Jones, Cheltenham

Send us your comments

In the end, Mr Smith maintained, it was not his enemies who beat him, but apartheid South Africa's threat to cut Rhodesia's lifeline.
    Margaret Thatcher's UK government brokered a peace deal in the Lancaster House talks in 1979 and a black-majority government took over Zimbabwe.
    Ian Smith remained a key player in Zimbabwean politics until seats reserved for whites were abolished in 1987.
    When in retirement, he failed to create a united opposition to Robert Mugabe, and Mr Smith was finally relegated to the sidelines.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

The only thing that is sad about the passing of this piece of sh^&t into the pits of hell is that his successor has turned out to be different in terms of skin color but not much else.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

but f u c k it... much rather mugabe than white oppression inna mi owna land... anyway, mi still support mugabe... a dont si nuhbady a talk bout de broken promises of england but dem ready fi crucify mugabe who fight fi liberation... mi nuh want guh back inna dis discussion again... him shudda ded lang lang time... may his soul burn in hell...
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

a LOT of white rhodesians/zimbabweans in south africa....A LOT....dem seh seh most of the taxi drivers are from zimbabwe i met 2 ...my god they were polite!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

mi think him did dead arready.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gamma, any comments on the crime situation in South Africa from a tourist perspective, and maybe how the locals feel about it?
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

locals are aware of it...they blame a lot of it on immigrants from other african countries.

i felt no different than if i was walking along knutsford or the plazas....as with every big city there are just some places you should not go at certain times.

cape town is referred to as "robust" with an "active population".

i was there for almost 3 weeks and encointered no negative incidents while out and about. i did hear about some gang shooting the night before i left from the bus driver.

Comment

islandman.. check yuh message...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

another thing...features are important...you can tell from features what ethnic tribe one is from....even the whites! (boer/english...LOL)

Comment

Very interesting. I am hoping to visit in the not too distant future but bwoy it nuh cheap so me haffe do some serious planning.

The natural landscape of the country is so beautiful, Table Mountain, etc. As a photography enthusiast I would love to do the wildlife safari thing too.

Comment

Done and I responded.

Respect!

Comment

table mountain is spectacular! the lanscape in the wine country is breathtaking....

the weather nearly give mi fits though! all 4 seasons in one day!

i saw some blue whales too. cape town has table mountain behind it and the harbour in front...

Comment

Working...
                        X