Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncertainty shrouds the future of the Public Service Commiss

Uncertainty shrouds the future of the Public Service Commission

Five days after they were reportedly given marching orders the members of the Public Service Commission (PSC) have not received any official correspondence requesting their resignations.

RJR News broke the story on the weekend that the members were to be axed by Prime Minister Bruce Golding.

RJR News reported that Mr. Golding has written to the Governor General recommending that they be axed.

In what was believed to be a spillover from the stand off over the appointment of a new Solicitor-General, Mr. Golding on Friday night expressed no confidence in the five-member body.

It was reported that Mr. Golding asked the members for their voluntary resignations, failing which he would write to the Governor General asking him to dissolve the Commission.

Monday night, our news centre contacted Chairman of the Public Service Commission, Daisy Coke.

While not giving much detail during the brief interview, Mrs. Coke said she was awaiting official word on the future of the Commission.

"We were not asked to resign. We are awaiting correspondence because there is a process and I am expecting to get some correspondence and it did not turn up so we expect it to turn up Wednesday," said Mrs. Coke.

Mrs. Coke was also unable to state whether the Commission still remains in existence.

"I can't say that, I mean how can I answer you because not everything has a yes or no answer, you know that," she said.

The other members of the Commission are Professor Edwin Jones, Alfred Sangster, Mike Fennel and Pauline Findlay.

Despite media reports of efforts to dissolve the Commission there has been no official statement from either Prime Minister Golding or the Governor-General.

Mr. Golding is scheduled to leave the island by Wednesday to attend theC Commonwealth Heads of Government Conference which begins in Uganda on Friday.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X