In Jamaica, we have a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Jamaica, we have a

tax compliance rate of 30% and even worse for the corporate compliance ... 10%. Now why not express outrage about that? Why not ask what the hell was the previous admin was doing about it? Why is it a man that is studing for his CAPE have to be implementing actions to address it? Why those with their Phd didn't do anything about it?

No, people more interested in petty stuff like what Bruce mean by "dark" and being sensitive cause Bruce claimed the Religious leaders suffer from intellectual depravity. Why mi nuh surprized?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    tax compliance rate of 30% and even worse for the corporate compliance ... 10%. Now why not express outrage about that? Why not ask what the hell was the previous admin was doing about it? Why is it a man that is studing for his CAPE have to be implementing actions to address it? Why those with their Phd didn't do anything about it?

No, people more interested in petty stuff like what Bruce mean by "dark" and being sensitive cause Bruce claimed the Religious leaders suffer from intellectual depravity. Why mi nuh surprized?
    Lazie what does that mean ? 30% and 10% ? is that a penalty or is that the normal tax rate ?

Comment

That is my point too.

No wonder we cant progress.

At lunch i just heard about a Danish Tourist killed in Jamaica last month. The man was building a dream house near Johnny Cash's in MoBay and the local end was apparently extorting for more money. He came out to sort things out and then was found dead near frome with his head bashed in...and we talking about roots of expressions!!!

People, we have serious problems!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
        Lazie what does that mean ? 30% and 10% ? is that a penalty or is that the normal tax rate ?
        Only 10% of the corps paying the taxes they're suppose to pay.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post

Not Tax rate, COMPLIANCE rate. in other words, if 100 people should be paying taxes, only 30 (or 10) are paying. Obviously, this is a calculation. I am sure more people are paying, but they are paying way less than they should on average.

Comment

addressing the issues will only lend support to the government since they are the only one talking about it so hense let us talk about other things.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              Not Tax rate, COMPLIANCE rate. in other words, if 100 people should be paying taxes, only 30 (or 10) are paying. Obviously, this is a calculation. I am sure more people are paying, but they are paying way less than they should on average.
              If that is really our present tax collection rate then we have bigger issues than we think.

I mean even if you exclude the informal economy that is a very very low rate.

then factor that even the % who actually pay are probably not paying the right amounts.

Comment

I think the government should cut the tax rate and have harder penalties since we have one of the highest tax rate in the world.

I think they would collect more money.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

My point is that while people talk Jamaica first, I am seeing otherwise.

When Bruce messes up in MY opinion, I am not going to be powdering...likewise for the PNP.

No time to be deceived, brotha you got to KNOW and not BELIEVE...

Mi deh far far away and I am tired of the almshouse (another expression in that now famous conference speech). Where is the critique on policies to move us forward, where are the serious and viable alternatives proposed, so that we all can pressure the GOJ into accepting them??? Nah, all we get is bickering over perceived slights, roots of words, allegations of "who can manage", blame game over fuel/food prices, weather induced calamities and other irrelevancies. Now, if we were rich and comfortable, this would be palatable...but from where I sit, Nero is fiddling while Rome burns!!!

Comment

YES!!!

Scaly you get it!!!

And we wasting time arguning over perceived slights and other minutae.

We are in serious doo-doo.

Can I make it more plain??? on top of that Omar left a nice $15b parting gift.

It is no longer a question of political favourites....Jamaica is in trouble. Weeks back I warned everyone right here that it is not a certainty that Jamaica "makes it", so time for people to shed any veneer of conform. It is do or die time. only that attitude can see us thru.

Time to be scared out of our wits.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                      YES!!!

Scaly you get it!!!

And we wasting time arguning over perceived slights and other minutae.

We are in serious doo-doo.

Can I make it more plain??? on top of that Omar left a nice $15b parting gift.

It is no longer a question of political favourites....Jamaica is in trouble. Weeks back I warned everyone right here that it is not a certainty that Jamaica "makes it", so time for people to shed any veneer of conform. It is do or die time. only that attitude can see us thru.

Time to be scared out of our wits.
                      Jamaica will make it!
                      ...the only question is; When!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        I think the government should cut the tax rate and have harder penalties since we have one of the highest tax rate in the world.

I think they would collect more money.
                        SASS wey u get that fromn that JA have one of the highest tax rates in the world ? I don't think so.

Comment

Yes I say it in one statistics. I will see if I can find it.

Comment

Caveat...in our lifetimes...that is what MOST interests us.

I am sure Haiti will eventually "make it" too, but we dont want to go there.

Comment

Cumulative when stealth taxes are factored in?

The upfront rates dont strike me as that high comparatively.

What seems apparent is that the admin procedures associated with the various taxes in Jamaica are just outrageous and costs a ton to administer both by the payer and the collector.

Comment

Working...
                              X