Time to resolve the Vasciannie imbroglio-Gleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willi View Post
    Or maybe he does not want the constant headache of dealing with a 5th columnist!
    It would be interesting to know what where the earlier disagreements between the two?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

True!

Comment

No smoke screen but the truth or as you like to say...calling it as you see it
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Or rather who tell him not to follow Bruce to the JLP and have the nerve to talk bout dead puss pon ship??? That is the core of the matter.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

You would think that.

Makes for better Soap Opera.

Comment

Semantics ?

LOL !!

Yuh evah hear bout the US Supreme Court ?

And the US Separation of Powers mek ours look stupid...

Comment

Some ah dat may indeed be in it too Siccko...but that is political reality.

Mullings is now a JLP minister and Dabdoub taking action against the JLP.
                Why the hell would Vasc. want to be in that position?? What is HIS agenda? Pure politics in play on this one.

Comment

Not really.

Its a senior civil service appointment.

The Judiciary is quite separate.

Comment

Look,

Let us stop playing games here.

Neither the PNP nor JLP will ever allow a sensitive appointment that they are VIOLENTLY opposed to for whatever reason. Not gonna happen. No Govt will ever allow themselves to be so hamstrung.

This is realpolitic and it must be seen for what it is. I am puzzled why SV has not withdrawn himself from consideration??? What is the agenda??

This is all a shell game....a REAL storm in a teacup.

Comment

Don1 seh Trafigura is a storm in a teacup...

I see some signs here that something is seriously at stake...

Why is this issue being pressed ??

Is only Versacci qualify fi di position ?

What are the functions of the Solicitor General ?

Bruce need to learn.. give them an inch..dem tek a mile.

Him nuh unnastan seh di PNP nuh believe dem lose..

Him bettah wake up.

Comment

ok willi... totally agree with you... from my understanging, hope mi explain this right... the solicitor general (and will take your senior civil servant explanation) is supposed to work directly for the govt in an advisory capacity in legal matters and to also be the senior counsel for govt ministeries in litigation and disputes...

why shouldn't vaciannie be qualified to perform and serve the people (gov't) of jamaica in this capacity... thats all i am asking...

why should the prime minister have an objection to having one of the brightest legal minds, versed in international law and the inards of the united nations, advising the govenment and representing the interest of the gov't in legal matters...

i have my thoughts, would like to hear yours willi...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

btw, mi hope gamma cudda lend some insight into my explanation of de solictor general...

my understanding as mi explained above was provided to me last week by one a mi atty bredren... mi could be wrong in de explanation...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

It simple, Just like in the US you think President will allow a AG or any sensitive appointment like that to to be forced upon him?

While we want good and competent people and I might be biased as Vasianne wrote a book with one of my mentors but no government nah go allow it.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

willi is right. the solicitor general is usually kind of like the side man to the attorney generally. in the english tradition a barrister was the one who had a right of audience before the high court while the solicitor prepared the documentation and did the research. given that it is now a fused profession in jamaica, the solicitor tag seems archaic.

therefore the solicitor general is not a judge but rather the second ranking government lawyer behind the AG.

the former SG (michael hylton) was a man with VAST court experience and when one has to draft pleadings, courtroom experience can be critical as this would take it beyond the realm of academia into the practical. vascianne's credentials as an academic is indisputable...but i think someone with court experience would be more appropriate. believe it or not vascianne would perhaps be better suited as AG as this has more of an administrative and policymaking component.
                              Last edited by Gamma; November 20, 2007, 02:08 PM.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                                willi is right. the solicitor general is usually kind of like the side man to the attorney generally. in the english tradition a barrister was the one who had a right of audience before the high court while the solicitor prepared the documentation and did the research. given that it is now a fused profession in jamaica, the solicitor tag seems archaic.

therefore the solicitor general is not a judge but rather the second ranking government lawyer behind the AG.

the former AG was a man with VAST court experience and when one has to draft pleadings, courtroom experience can be critical as this would take it beyond the realm of academia into the practical. vascianne's credentials as an academic is indisputable...but i think someone with court experience would be more appropriate. believe it or not vascianne would perhaps be better suited as AG as this has more of an administrative and policymaking component.
                                Didn't Hyacinth Lightbourne touch on that aspect of SV's court experience
                                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                                X