X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gleaner EDITORIAL - Ugly utterances by Minister Smith

EDITORIAL - Ugly utterances by Minister Smith
    published: Saturday | November 17, 2007

The country is rightly concerned about the intolerably high incidence of murder, mayhem and malfeasance that pervades the society. The criminal circumstances, aggravated by the many unresolved transgressions in high places, make it understandable and even excusable when the average citizen demonstrates a measure of impatience in the search for peace and security.

However, the intemperate outburst on Wednesday night of Derrick Smith, the Minister of National Security, is a shocking response that must be frowned upon by all well-thinking observers.

The Government of the day is doing no more or less than its duty when it aggressively unearths facts and provides the justice system with whatever evidence it believes will help to identify wrongdoers. But having done so it has a further obligation, which is to leave judgement and possible conviction to the police, the DPP and the courts.

It is, therefore, highly improper for Minister Smith to publicly prejudge the results of criminal investigations being carried out by the police. Moreover, it is reprehensible that he went on to announce that he, and presumably the Government, already has plans to imprison persons who up to now have not been accused of any crime. He proposes to do so "when the investigations going on now confirm that dem was a thief". Such a statement is reminiscent of Adolf Hitler who is said to have remarked that he would give his enemies a fair trial and then hang them.

Mr. Smith is usually regarded as soft-spoken and urbane. However, on this occasion he compounded the ugliness of his utterances by hurling what must be regarded as a wild charge of criminality against some unnamed PNP councillor. He made it known that in this matter he had used the privilege of his position to become privy to information from the police.
    This suggests that he, a political functionary, is not above becoming involved in police investigations. Such an intervention could be interpreted as a form of interference and is indeed cause for apprehension. What if the so-called suspect had happened to be a supporter of his own party? Would the influence of his office been brought to bear on the situation? Maybe not, but the inclination will be to judge his actions by the stridency of his words. And his outburst cannot be excused because it happened during a JLP rally in Tivoli Gardens; it is bad example of behaviour that should be discouraged at such gatherings of the party faithful.

We hope that the minister upon sober reflection will consider the damage he may have done to his party, himself and the Government. We trust that he will find it prudent to retract his uncharacteristic remarks and by so doing, redeem public confidence in the handling of his portfolio. Failure to do so, should at the very least attract a stern rebuke from a Prime Minister who has been at pains to encourage equity and good order in the government over which he presides.
    The opinions on this page, except for the above, do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. To respond to a Gleaner editorial, email us: editor@gleanerjm.com or fax: 922-6223. Responses should be no longer than 400 words. Not all responses will be published.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Smith stands firm - PNP lambastes Security Minister who threatens to expose councillor
    published: Saturday | November 17, 2007

Derrick Smith, Minister of National Security.

Minister of National Security Derrick Smith is sticking to his statement made in Tivoli Gardens Wednesday night, when he accused members of the Opposition People's National Party (PNP) of "robbing the country'" when that party formed the government.

"I am not withdrawing from the statement. I am standing by the statement," Mr. Smith told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre yesterday.

Mr. Smith's remarks, which were made at a Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) rally to announce the date for the local government election, have elicited swift condemnation from the PNP, which has chided him for what it describes as his "intemperate outburst".

Mr. Smith had indicated that at the end of ongoing investigations against former PNP officials, he would have a team of police waiting "fi lock dem up".

In expanding on his statement, the minister said current investigations would confirm his belief of corruption in the previous government.
    Said he: "An investigation is going on to confirm what I believe. The conclusion of the investigations confirming what I have been hearing and what I believe and action will be taken," he said.

"I don't know why it is so difficult for you to understand. I stand by what I said," Smith added.

When asked if he could support his statement that members of the previous PNP administration had stolen public funds, the minister challenged the reporter to "prove otherwise".

Lack of protocol
    In a release yesterday, the Opposition said the behaviour of the minister was not in keeping with protocol, "and went against the precedence established by all previous ministers of that portfolio, both from the JLP and the PNP".

The Opposition PNP warned against politicising the Ministry of National Security which, it said, exists to direct policy relating to law and order.
    "As such, the Opposition says the National Security Minister should never have made those utterances but, especially, not from a political platform."

But Mr. Smith also attacked another PNP member while addressing party supporters at a JLP rally at Sherlock Crescent, Duhaney Park in St. Andrew on Thursday night.

The minister said he was informed by the police that a sitting councillor was on the wrong side of the law. According to Mr. Smith the councillor "ought not to represent the party (PNP) in the next Local Government election".

Clean candidates
    He sought to assure electors that all JLP members running for seats in the KSAC were vetted by the party and were found to be "clean candidates".
    "I challenge the PNP to say that, because they know that, based on where I sit, I know that the police want them to withdraw one of their sitting councillors."

Mr. Smith warned that if the councillor does not withdraw his candidacy in the upcoming elections, he would go public with additional information.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X