• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intersting letter to the Editor...

Start a 'speak English campaign'
    published: Thursday | November 15, 2007

The Editor, Sir:

The English Language is the most widely used language for business and commerce internationally and except for the US$ it is the most widely used 'currency' worldwide. I believe we, Jamaicans, have received two things of value from British colonialism: protestantism and the English language.

Jamaica has historically been a society stratified by race and/or social class; what the Spanish started the British perfected. Class stratification is not, however, unique to Jamaica. This is found all over the world especially in so-called rich countries in Europe and North America.

In Jamaica one's social class is usually accurately determined by the ease with which one uses or abuses the English Language. It is, therefore, full time for our government to start a speak English campaign in order to break down the social barriers; there is no greater social leveller than the ability to speak the English language fluently.

Start from the home

This is how it should be sold to parents and children who may be understandably reluctant to learn what they consider an unnecessary language as they already know the vernacular/Jamaican which is used on a daily basis.

Parents have to be solid on the idea because they will have to encourage their children to practise speaking English at home and especially at school in order for them to master the skill. I would respectfully recommend the speak English campaign to the Ministry of Education.

I am, etc.,

CARLOS KING

carlos.r.king@hotmail.com

Good letter,went to Bermuda the other day and English a little Portugeese Dialet are spoken on the island.The typical bemudian reminds me of the jamaican middle class in the eighties where we would Mimic others of there abuse of the english language.There english is better than the average american.

Today to get around in Jamaica one ofto mix patois or patwa and english,what we would call broken english in the eighties.Today in jamaica
    it's english at its best.People english is a universial language,spoken in India,Austalia,USA and Canada which are all democratic countries.

We in jamaica have the previlidge to speak the worlds most indepth language in terms of vocabulary.The english language have more words than any language in world and today if we speak or make the effort to speak the english language you are laugh at are not like.Ok ! sickko always admire your
    imput for one thing,your command of the english language,I give you that(nuh ting mi a beg friend,it's true.).

What makes patois horrible is that it's not affiliated any way to the romance languages.When one is angry and the tone the language is spoken in makes it savagy.

yuh ever hear afrikaans? btw ... which romance language is english associated with?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

If there is space in the Dictionary, this post should be inserted beside the word IRONY.

"Good letter,went to Bermuda the other day and English a little Portugeese Dialet are spoken on the island.The typical bemudian reminds me of the jamaican middle class in the eighties where we would Mimic others of there abuse of the english language.There english is better than the average american."

reggaeboyzsc.com, best site on the planet.

Comment

you would "ofto"!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Maudib mi just sleep an wake,and mi deh a smoke a little roach last night.leave me alone.
          Last edited by Pepsi; November 15, 2007, 10:31 AM.

Comment

last night eh..

Methinks you need to brush some still hot ash off of yuh keyboard..

Comment

well that is one way to rid the world of "periplanita americana"!

Comment

wat di ekk is that?

Comment

many many times!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                    If there is space in the Dictionary, this post should be inserted beside the word IRONY.

"Good letter,went to Bermuda the other day and English a little Portugeese Dialet are spoken on the island.The typical bemudian reminds me of the jamaican middle class in the eighties where we would Mimic others of there abuse of the english language.There english is better than the average american."

reggaeboyzsc.com, best site on the planet.

Maudib if I should use a dictionary,you guys would think am showing off.

Comment

That does it.

I am putting in my early nomination for Pepsi as "Poster of the Year"

Comment

dem worst dan di jakans dem.English is a Germanic language wat u must rememba seh each tribe in africa have dem own language

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                          That does it.

I am putting in my early nomination for Pepsi as "Poster of the Year"
                          Maudib I admit,I'm the forum mascot.

Comment

Periplaneta americana will most likely survive...otherwise, how come we have so many in Ja?

Comment

Gamma have you ever Listen to the Haitian creole.Do you know they have there version of the BiBle written in creole?.Do you know that Haitian Creole is considerd a romance language?.

Comment

Working...
                              X