Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trafigura bribery!

Trafigura bribery!
    Dutch get all-clear to probe firm that gave PNP $31MBALFORD HENRY, Observer writer
    balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007

THE nasty Trafigura scandal that rocked the previous People's National Party (PNP) government last year, boomeranged yesterday, putting unwanted pressure on an already embattled Opposition.

Shaken by the Cuban light bulb scandal which it was still desperately fending off yesterday, Portia Simpson Miller's PNP was hit by news from Prime Minister Bruce Golding that the Dutch police believe oil trading firm Trafigura Beheer had bribed Jamaican public officials in 2006.

In a statement to the House of Representatives, Golding said that on October 31 he was advised by the Dutch authorities that "Trafigua Beheer is believed to be guilty of having bribed public officials of a foreign state, namely Jamaica".
    "Such an offence is punishable under sections 177 and 178 (a) of the Dutch criminal code," the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) leader added.

The Trafigura scandal consumed the nation for months last year, after it emerged that the company which traded oil for Jamaica on the international market, had given $31 million to an account operated by then PNP general secretary, Colin Campbell.

The PNP maintained that the money was a donation to the party, while Trafigura Beheer insisted it was payment for a bauxite transaction. At the height of the scandal, Campbell resigned and Simpson Miller ordered the money sent back.

But Golding who blew the affair open at a press conference, had in the meantime, invited the Dutch government to supply information on the deal, on grounds that it would be illegal under restrictive European Community laws on transnational corporations.

Yesterday, he informed the House that from February this year, the Dutch authorities had been seeking permission from the Jamaican government to undertake "official legal investigations" into the matter here.

But the request was denied by the former government, on the grounds that it did not fall under the necessary legislative arrangements.

He pointed out, however, that the request had been made pursuant to a UN Convention which both Jamaica and the Netherlands had ratified.
    The prime minister said that the Dutch authorities were still desirous of pursuing the investigations against Trafigura, originally launched there by its National Public Prosecutor's Office in January.

The prosecutor's office had renewed its request to be allowed to come to Jamaica to question local officials said to have been involved in the $31 million transaction between Trafigura and the PNP in 2006, he added.

Among the officials the Dutch wanted to see are Colin Campbell; PNP chairman Bobby Pickersgill; Phillip Paulwell, who is also at the centre of the light bulb affair, and Golding, who first reported the Trafigua-PNP deal.

Golding said that his government supported the view that the issues warranted much deeper investigation than had been the case up to now. His government was also of the view that investigations done locally could be assisted by collaborating with the Dutch authorities, since Trafigura fell outside Jamaica's domestic jurisdiction.
    "I, therefore, wish to advise that, on my instructions, the Minister of Justice has issued an Order pursuant to Section 32(2) of the Mutual Assistance Act declaring that the provisions of the Act shall apply to the United Nations Convention Against Transnational Organised Crime and designating the Kingdom of the Netherlands as a foreign state to which the provisions of the Mutual Assistance (Criminal Matters) Act applies," the prime minister said.

He pointed out that this would enable the government to consider the Dutch authorities' request to travel to Jamaica to carry out their investigations here.

However, as the Order was subject to affirmation by the House, he said that he would move an appropriate resolution to confirm it so that the request could be properly considered.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Well Don1 - After seeing the above, this looks like a volcano waiting to blow!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Trafigura not going away
      published: Wednesday | November 14, 2007

Edmond Campbell, News Coordinator

Campbell
      A number of public officials under the previous administration could be embroiled in a bribery scandal, if the allegations from Dutch officials investigating the $31 million donation to the CCOC account linked to former general secretary of the People's National Party (PNP) Colin Campbell are confirmed.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding, in a statement to Parliament yesterday, revealed that the Dutch authorities, who started a criminal investigation against Dutch oil trader Trafigura Beheer in January, have said that the company is believed to be guilty of having bribed public officials in Jamaica.

Bribery is punishable under Dutch law and the National Public Prosecutor's office of The Netherlands says it is still desirous of pursuing the investigations.

Persons to be interviewed
      The Prime Minister said, as part of the probe, the Dutch investigations have expressed an interest in interviewing persons who were involved in the transaction, as well as him, the person who brought the matter to public attention last year.

Mr. Campbell, speaking with The Gleaner yesterday, said: "Like you, I am hearing about it for the first time. No request has been made of me. I don't have a request and if the request comes, I will deal with it at that time."

Mr. Golding revealed that a request by the Dutch authorities to visit Jamaica to conduct investigations into the money lodged to the PNP account was denied by the then PNP government.

He said the Dutch request was rejected on the grounds that it did not fall under the necessary legislative arrangements.

Casualty
      Mounting pressure on the Portia Simpson Miller administration last year resulted in the resignation of Mr. Campbell, the only casualty, to date, from the Trafigura debacle.

The Prime Minister told his parliamentary colleagues that the National Public Prosecutor's office has renewed its request of the Jamaican government for the necessary legal assistance to conduct its investigations.

"I, therefore, wish to advise that, on my instructions, the Minister of Justice has issued an order, pursuant to Section 32(2) of the Mutual Assistance Act, declaring that the provisions of the act shall apply to the UN Convention Against Transnational Organised Crime."

Additionally, the Kingdom of the Netherlands will be designated a foreign state to which the provisions of the Mutual Assistance (Criminal Matters) Act applies.

Mr. Golding said this move would enable the central authority to consider the request by the Dutch authorities to visit Jamaica to conduct investigations into the matter.
      edmond.campbell@gleanerjm.com
      Maudib seemed to have known what he was talking about - the blackmail!
      Withdraw the court cases on dual citizenship and the JLP will let Trafigura die!

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...0822#post60822

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Well Don1 - After seeing the above, this looks like a volcano waiting to blow!

boy mi kinda slow ... is the volcano waiting to blow similiar to storm in a teacup?

No need to worry Karl, just picking on Don1.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I think it was the Whispers that had a song, "I've got the Midas Touch!" Well, Phillip Pauwell seems to be the COMPLETE opposite, everything him touch turns to a major scandal.

Netserve, Solutre, Cement, Bulb, Trafigura? Damn ... and to think he is a lawyer.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Paulwell too damn lazy and feels too entitled.

I dont know much about the man but Dean Peart in a short interview sounded like he had integrity poise and sense. Perhaps the PNP can rebuild around such men, as we need 2 strong parties for the future!

Perhaps he can be a new "Daddy Manley" and get a few others like him to re-energise the PNP into being what it was conceived to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post

I dont know much about the man but Dean Peart in a short interview sounded like he had integrity poise and sense. Perhaps the PNP can rebuild around such men, as we need 2 strong parties for the future!

Perhaps he can be a new "Daddy Manley" and get a few others like him to re-energise the PNP into being what it was conceived to be.
              A lazy alleged tief?
              'Lazy tief' nuh cover tracks!
              If true that he is a tief, then - Jail!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post

Dean Peart? That lost anything called credibility from 06.

Golding: Were you not a member of the Cabinet at the time when that decision was made?

Peart: I am not sure. I am not sure. Honestly, not sure. I don't want to tell you, yes. I don't know.
                Golding: The minister said that the variation to the guideline that was approved by Cabinet was confined to emergency work and drain cleaning. Is it not also true that the variation also applied to special employment projects?
                Peart nodded in agreement.

Golding: But you didn't say so. Now, can I ask the minister, in the audit reports submitted to him by his own internal auditors, did these internal auditors note the differentiations in the contracts which they examined in the parish councils, to determine which of those contracts fell within the ambit of the type of contracts for which Cabinet had approved this variation?

Peart: What would have to happen is that the ministry would have sent a copy of the Cabinet decision to the parish councils, so the parish councils weren't aware of this. The audit team wasn't aware of it either, so the audit team could not take this into consideration.
                Golding: Is the minister telling us that his internal auditors in 2006 were not aware of that Cabinet decision made in 2001? Is that what he is telling us? Are you saying that your internal auditors, at the time when they conducted the audit, were not aware of the Cabinet decision that was made in 2001?

Peart: That's my understanding.
                Golding: No further questions, Mr Speaker.
                Research done by the Observer revealed that Peart was actually the minister of labour and social security and a member of the Cabinet in 2001.

Know what ... check this http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...__________.asp.

Comment

midnight star

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    midnight star
                    Damn Skippy! Yeah .. Midnight Star .. I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                    X