My plan if I led the GOJ right now..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My plan if I led the GOJ right now..

Alternate subject heading: Jamaica's salvation is in AGRICULTURE!

Given 2 realities:
    1) sub-$50 oil will likely never come back for whatever reason
    2) WTO globalization rules that we signed up to have straight jacketed us so that subsidies and price controls are not feasible long term options. If done, it would come straight out of the GOJ coffers and increase the already too high national debt.

I would level with the people and tell them that we cant go on delaying the reckoning day. We have to delay instant gratification and hold strain. I would do some rescue efforts for the VERY poorest, as we want no one to die of starvation, but realistically, consumers will have to pay the piper...for now.

I would sell my medium term vision, where we expect to be in 3 years.

1) We IMMEDIATLY move to growing Jatropha (even sounds like our plant...Jah give it to Jamaica, LoL) and castor on massive scales on marginal lands to provide us with bio-diesel in 2 years, plus fertilizers and industrial dies. This will in the long term help us to reclaim lands lost to soil erosion and will boost yields on cash crops that are threatened by vermin. Other crops like the macuna bean can be grown to support the soil (it reinserts Nitrogen in the soil) and reduce dependence on commercial (imported, oil based) fertilizers.

2) We run to Brazil and have them accelerate our sugar cane ethanol projects, even asking their Govt for aid to accelerate the programme to be on line in 1 year max. We can sweeten the deal by importing cheap vehicles from Brazil with ethanol/flex engines with low import duties.

3) We cut the duty on diesel cars in half (at least) to incentivise their import over petrol equivalents. We cut taxes on bio-diesel sales while RAISING taxes on oil derived diesel sold through fuel stations. Farmers should pay even less for their bio-diesel for use in their farm vehicles, just as they do in Europe!

4) We seek to boost domestic production of corn and other wheat/corn substitues for use as edible staples and for animal feed. Higher prices should make them more attractive to produce.

5) We start a programme to reprocess frying oils, machine oils and other bio-hazard discard oils where applicable into bio-diesel!!! An additional offshoot of this process is ---MORE fertilizers as by products!!!

All these things take minimal capital but maximum ORGANIZATION...our perennial bugbear. But now we have no choice. With our backs against the wall, we have to wake up and use our POWER. The power to change, the power to conceive plan and execute for the betterment of our country, we all profess to love. We know we can do these things, as they are not conceptually difficult and we have conquered the world in many endeavours. Sport is but one shining example that we can do anything that we really desire.

Finally, all this can be done while pursuing other areas of importance, like addressing crime and corruption, wooing investment, revamping and improving education and training, rejuvenating the Justice system, repositioning Tourism, upgrading public transport and logistics, protecting and bolstering the environment, resocializing the population (the deiant part), creating jobs in other sectors than the traditional ones, managing the finances, restructuring the tax system over time, getting serious about Sport and Culture, reindustrializing in logical niches where we have competitive advantages, restructuring local government, rewriting the rules on governance, and forming strategic alliances with key foreign partners (less Caricom, more Brazil, India, China).

Originally posted by Willi View Post
    Alternate subject heading: Jamaica's salvation is in AGRICULTURE!

Given 2 realities:
    1) sub-$50 oil will likely never come back for whatever reason
    2) WTO globalization rules that we signed up to have straight jacketed us so that subsidies and price controls are not feasible long term options. If done, it would come straight out of the GOJ coffers and increase the already too high national debt.

I would level with the people and tell them that we cant go on delaying the reckoning day. We have to delay instant gratification and hold strain. I would do some rescue efforts for the VERY poorest, as we want no one to die of starvation, but realistically, consumers will have to pay the piper...for now.

I would sell my medium term vision, where we expect to be in 3 years.

1) We IMMEDIATLY move to growing Jatropha (even sounds like our plant...Jah give it to Jamaica, LoL) and castor on massive scales on marginal lands to provide us with bio-diesel in 2 years, plus fertilizers and industrial dies. This will in the long term help us to reclaim lands lost to soil erosion and will boost yields on cash crops that are threatened by vermin. Other crops like the macuna bean can be grown to support the soil (it reinserts Nitrogen in the soil) and reduce dependence on commercial (imported, oil based) fertilizers.

2) We run to Brazil and have them accelerate our sugar cane ethanol projects, even asking their Govt for aid to accelerate the programme to be on line in 1 year max. We can sweeten the deal by importing cheap vehicles from Brazil with ethanol/flex engines with low import duties.

3) We cut the duty on diesel cars in half (at least) to incentivise their import over petrol equivalents. We cut taxes on bio-diesel sales while RAISING taxes on oil derived diesel sold through fuel stations. Farmers should pay even less for their bio-diesel for use in their farm vehicles, just as they do in Europe!

4) We seek to boost domestic production of corn and other wheat/corn substitues for use as edible staples and for animal feed. Higher prices should make them more attractive to produce.

5) We start a programme to reprocess frying oils, machine oils and other bio-hazard discard oils where applicable into bio-diesel!!! An additional offshoot of this process is ---MORE fertilizers as by products!!!

All these things take minimal capital but maximum ORGANIZATION...our perennial bugbear. But now we have no choice. With our backs against the wall, we have to wake up and use our POWER. The power to change, the power to conceive plan and execute for the betterment of our country, we all profess to love. We know we can do these things, as they are not conceptually difficult and we have conquered the world in many endeavours. Sport is but one shining example that we can do anything that we really desire.

Finally, all this can be done while pursuing other areas of importance, like addressing crime and corruption, wooing investment, revamping and improving education and training, rejuvenating the Justice system, repositioning Tourism, upgrading public transport and logistics, protecting and bolstering the environment, resocializing the population (the deiant part), creating jobs in other sectors than the traditional ones, managing the finances, restructuring the tax system over time, getting serious about Sport and Culture, reindustrializing in logical niches where we have competitive advantages, restructuring local government, rewriting the rules on governance, and forming strategic alliances with key foreign partners (less Caricom, more Brazil, India, China).
    One point only - Jamaica Land I love!

Let me lay out where I am coming from - I am selfish...extremely selfish where preservation of Jamaica is concerned!

That selfishness extends to desiring Jamaica to be the 'best place on earth'. It means among other things that the beauty remains unspoiled. It demands a 'cleaning up of the environment and a return to the beauty of the land that resides in ever increasingly smaller and smaller areas...and in truth when considered against what I saw in my youth (my parents made us kids travel extensively across the island - one of the reasons I went to 7 schools - infant schools through primary schools), that beauty exists only my mind's eye.

This means one thing - the inflows of funds on a massive scale that shall pay for all our heart desires and more! Get us to that 1st world status.

Well if the land is to be pristine - among needed things, there can only be clean industrial plants. There must be excellent system of roads. Excellent water supply systems and a building of structures to aid conservation such that there is more than enough to supply our needs. There must be restoration of watershed areas...preservation of underground aquifiers...removal of polutants from all our water sources. ...so it means sewage systems and garbage disposal systems must be 1st world.

The Health system must be second to none. The fire services must be equally as good...etc., etc...and so on and on in all areas.

It means that if I am to buy into the idea of producing agriculture products that can produce...for example, fuels...then OK let us grow the 'raw material'...but, let us be part owners of the plants situated in other countries. Let all that we engage in...have a hand in...we own...etc...that will destroy our land be sited...and, I make no apologies for this...in other lands! I am selfish!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      One point only - Jamaica Land I love!

Let me lay out where I am coming from - I am selfish...extremely selfish where preservation of Jamaica is concerned!

That selfishness extends to desiring Jamaica to be the 'best place on earth'. It means among other things that the beauty remains unspoiled. It demands a 'cleaning up of the environment and a return to the beauty of the land that resides in ever increasingly smaller and smaller areas...and in truth when considered against what I saw in my youth (my parents made us kids travel extensively across the island - one of the reasons I went to 7 schools - infant schools through primary schools), that beauty exists only my mind's eye.

This means one thing - the inflows of funds on a massive scale that shall pay for all our heart desires and more! Get us to that 1st world status.

Well if the land is to be pristine - among needed things, there can only be clean industrial plants. There must be excellent system of roads. Excellent water supply systems and a building of structures to aid conservation such that there is more than enough to supply our needs. There must be restoration of watershed areas...preservation of underground aquifiers...removal of polutants from all our water sources. ...so it means sewage systems and garbage disposal systems must be 1st world.

The Health system must be second to none. The fire services must be equally as good...etc., etc...and so on and on in all areas.

It means that if I am to buy into the idea of producing agriculture products that can produce...for example, fuels...then OK let us grow the 'raw material'...but, let us be part owners of the plants situated in other countries. Let all that we engage in...have a hand in...we own...etc...that will destroy our land be sited...and, I make no apologies for this...in other lands! I am selfish!

---------

btw - Good read, sah!
      Sir Willi, you put forward things to make us all go - mmmmmm??? in a good way!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What we going to do with all the Brownings and Whites though ?

All this money inflow going to bring more ah dem....

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
          What we going to do with all the Brownings and Whites though ?

All this money inflow going to bring more ah dem....
          So?
          "Out of Many One"! - dem gwaine assimilate! Nuh tek dem lang fi tun Jamaican more dan som Jamaican dem! Luk pan wi carefully? Yuh nuh si seh a nuff-nuff race mix-up mix-up? dem di assimilate!

Comment

Thanks,

But I have to find a way to get this seen by the right people.

Even if they know it already, I want to impart a sense of urgency and taking destiny in our own hands.

Time to end the internal wars and declare war on poverty and backwardness. On top of everything, it will be fun and exciting for us to get back in the groove and get moving in the right.

As di song seh..." we are getting ourselves together, we are polishing up our act. Dont you let nothing, nothing, stand in your way".

Comment

Willi...sounds good...sm problems. Quick points.
              1. Land availability and land use problems. Most of our prime and even marginal lands are now being earmarked for housing...both public and private sector. A lot of public lands have been sold off, subdivided...given away? How do we channel appropriate lands for agriculture? How do we get pvt sector to see agric. as profitable?
              2. Policing the system. This is mainly in the low-cost fuel for farmers. Fishermen used to getsubsidized fuel (back in the day), don't know if they still do but there were issues when it was filtering off to mini-buses, trucks etc.
              3. Environmental issues. How to deal with the exhaust and fumes from poorly maintained deisel engines? Do we have laws, monitoring (more work and infrastructure for Licencing authority) or get pvt contractors to do it?
              4. Large tracts - corn and most grain are best done with mechanization of large tracts. Where do we have these (except for sugarcane fields)?
              5. Brazil. With their newly found oil, will Brazil move away from ethanol production systems?

There must be sm overarching principle for all of this. Spouting developed world status by 2030 will not cut. Our National Physical Development Plan has gathered dust and never been used. We have haphazard buildings, hotels popping all over the place. Water pollution remains a HUGE problem. Sewage treatment and disposal continues unabated. Corruption and trickery is endemic. Loan %s are ludicrous. Crime is ..well unrealistic! Policial cronyism and divisions continue. So this is the framework we are working with. What is the NATIONAL appproach? What is our National Development Plan about? Where is our plan?

Comment

Willi...I understand your good intentions. Do you seriously think that there is any collective 'think tank' for Jamaica's future? Do you sense that there is any urgency from the political directorate and others? Do you sense that there is any feeling of crisis looming? That we are being left behind? Isn't Jamaica a country focusing on petty squabbles, radio talk-shows, X-news and religious rhetoric? Isn't it every man for himself?

Comment

One solution FIX the roads leading into the interior, where much of the farm lands exist. Check out Portland - Cascade, Green Hill etc. a nuff sinting can grow deh, but lawd the road dem terrible. Dat's a place ideal for even growing exotic fruits to supply to the hotel industry.
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Did you miss the Election campaigns ?

Comment

But what going happend when dem step on yuh toe and nuh seh sarry ?

Comment

No. Point?

Comment

The election campaign clearly indicated the dire straights Jamaica was in.

The activities since indicate that there is a 'Think Tank' in action.

The proposed restructuring of Agencies and certain board appointments indicate a strategy.

Shaw presentation to the Multilaterals indicate a serious thought process..

In the final analysis some people see what they want to see....

Comment

Unfortunately, you continue to be shackled by your parochial views and political outlook. Frankly, the political campaigning showed how narrow-minded and simplistic those that want to wield power are (well sm of them). Group think from a few who are looking only to benefit for themselves is not the kind of broad-based national initiative or perspective that we are looking for.
                            Restructuring of Agencies and boards are "piece-meal" - it is just a changing of the guard... and really if you are impressed with Shaw's intellectual capabilities or as as you say "indicate a serious thought process" then we are in deeper trouble.
                            Maybe, you really need to be out of the picture sometimes to be objective...it is a difficult task indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              Thanks,

But I have to find a way to get this seen by the right people.
                              Easy yuh self - Maudib is here!

Comment

Working...
                              X