JLP.... Government by Default?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLP.... Government by Default?

Analysing the Jamaican political scene it's somewhat mystifying as to why the JLP recently has found it so difficult to win the trust of the Jamaican people.... i.e. by winning elections.

The PNP held power for 18 years and clearly has not performed well. Fair to middling in some areas (infrastructure perhaps) but real development has not been greatly advanced and there was massive failure in crime control, education, managing the country's opening to the global economy.... financial sector meltdown, massive currency devaluation, inflation etc.

This being the obvious case, why could not the JLP until 2007 unseat a party with this record?

OK during Seaga's heyday the JLP was a feeble, divided.... a laughing stock of a party..... granted.

But Bruce Golding took over, united the party and was immediately and massively funded by the private sector..... outspent the spent PNP maybe 5-1 in the 2007 campaign, heaped more scandal on that party during the campaign and ended up with a popular voting edge of what........ 4000 people (statistical dead heat) and a seat majority of 4 (shrinking?).

Very anemic in the circumstances. They should have won by a landslide.

This begs the question..... WHY??????????

Obviously there is a lack of trust in the JLP by many in the electorate. What's the basis of this?

A widespread belief that the JLP is the party of the local elites? ie the "brown man" or ethnic minorities? Something else? ...... if so, what?

This is probably something that party may want to do some sociopolitical research on. Their electoral future may depend on an approprite response to this situation.
    Maybe Seaga who has curiously and ironically found sanctuary at our leading academic institution would be a good candidate to discover the reasons behind this phenomenon.

Or maybe not.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

I recall Islandman objecting when I said it a while back, but the fact remains that Jamaica is PNP country. No need fi waste time analyze why the JLP having a hard time beating the PNP, just look at the attitude of most of the comrades round here ...

I'm gonna try and find an article for you
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

What is the Garrison seat differential ?

The PNP has turned off a large majority of voters from Politics in general.

The PNP employs a POPULIST approach which works quite well given the state of the electorate.. Govt has been used as a tool to distribute scare benefits and spoils and not to increase the size of the pie.

I presume your spend figures do not include the benefits to the PNP of 'projects on the ground'

Omar Davis single handidly set back the country 5 years to win an election.. he admitted it.

In a country as 'poor' as Jamaica manipulation is easy if you are willing to sacrifice the country.. it helps if you believe that you are best for the country and anything that causes you to be in power is therefore best of the country... worst case you can KARRECK IT...

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.. that weak-link is the PNP.. I strongly suggest good thinking comrades get that ship in PROPER order..

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        I recall Islandman objecting when I said it a while back, but the fact remains that Jamaica is PNP country. No need fi waste time analyze why the JLP having a hard time beating the PNP, just look at the attitude of most of the comrades round here ...

I'm gonna try and find an article for you
        Thanks for the contribution but stating that "Jamaica is PNP country" just doesn't cut it. Doesn't shed any light.

Drill down a little deeper than that and address the JLP problem/PNP advantage.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          Thanks for the contribution but stating that "Jamaica is PNP country" just doesn't cut it. Doesn't shed any light.

Drill down a little deeper than that and address the JLP problem/PNP advantage.
          You seems to like playing dandy shandy .. mi too lazy fi that. I promised you a quote,

"Pressed on whether there was any sort of fatigue with a government that had been in power for 18 years, Honeywell said: "Eighteen years, 25 years, it's all the same. You will never again see a JLP government in this country," he said to a chorus of laughter from other agreeing patrons." The lone female in the bar, Theresa Williams, added this gem: "Let me tell you something, Mr. Newspaper Man," surmising that I was a reporter because I had been busy jotting down their every word. "We will not switch because this Sally woman is out there screaming to the world about how bad things are. Things are bad everywhere and if we are going to suffer, let us suffer under Sister P (Portia Simpson Miller). Write this down: 'Bellefield will never vote for the JLP'." (Jamaica Gleaner).

You and others can gwaan looking for fool's gold.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You seems to like playing dandy shandy .. mi too lazy fi that. I promised you a quote,

"Pressed on whether there was any sort of fatigue with a government that had been in power for 18 years, Honeywell said: "Eighteen years, 25 years, it's all the same. You will never again see a JLP government in this country," he said to a chorus of laughter from other agreeing patrons." The lone female in the bar, Theresa Williams, added this gem: "Let me tell you something, Mr. Newspaper Man," surmising that I was a reporter because I had been busy jotting down their every word. "We will not switch because this Sally woman is out there screaming to the world about how bad things are. Things are bad everywhere and if we are going to suffer, let us suffer under Sister P (Portia Simpson Miller). Write this down: 'Bellefield will never vote for the JLP'." (Jamaica Gleaner).

You and others can gwaan looking for fool's gold.
            Nice anecdote but does not advance the discussion. I guess in your case I may be asking for too much.

Comment

Nice anecdote but does not advance the discussion. I guess in your case I may be asking for too much.
              Yes! There is nothing to advance here. Is it a coincidence that after being jooked by Bulby and the return of the storm in a teacup, yuh come with this? hehehe ... yuh think yuh slick. Nuh worry ... Karl, Jawge and the rest will come play dandy shandy with you.

Comment

Yes! There is nothing to advance here. Is it a coincidence that after being jooked by Bulby and the return of the storm in a teacup, yuh come with this? hehehe ... yuh think yuh slick. Nuh worry ... Karl, Jawge and the rest will come play dandy shandy with you.

Let me say that this contribution is a fine example of the level of political discourse on this board.

Congratulations for upholding the "high" standard.
                Last edited by Don1; November 13, 2007, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Analysing the Jamaican political scene it's somewhat mystifying as to why the JLP recently has found it so difficult to win the trust of the Jamaican people.... i.e. by winning elections.

The PNP held power for 18 years and clearly has not performed well. Fair to middling in some areas (infrastructure perhaps) but real development has not been greatly advanced and there was massive failure in crime control, education, managing the country's opening to the global economy.... financial sector meltdown, massive currency devaluation, inflation etc.

This being the obvious case, why could not the JLP until 2007 unseat a party with this record?

OK during Seaga's heyday the JLP was a feeble, divided.... a laughing stock of a party..... granted.

But Bruce Golding took over, united the party and was immediately and massively funded by the private sector..... outspent the spent PNP maybe 5-1 in the 2007 campaign, heaped more scandal on that party during the campaign and ended up with a popular voting edge of what........ 4000 people (statistical dead heat) and a seat majority of 4 (shrinking?).

Very anemic in the circumstances. They should have won by a landslide.

This begs the question..... WHY??????????

Obviously there is a lack of trust in the JLP by many in the electorate. What's the basis of this?

A widespread belief that the JLP is the party of the local elites? ie the "brown man" or ethnic minorities? Something else? ...... if so, what?

This is probably something that party may want to do some sociopolitical research on. Their electoral future may depend on an approprite response to this situation.
                  Maybe Seaga who has curiously and ironically found sanctuary at our leading academic institution would be a good candidate to discover the reasons behind this phenomenon.

Or maybe not.
                  Interesting & good!
                  Yeah - Why di JLP...????
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Don't worry... the relics from the 70's will all soon be dead and the Intellectual Ghetto will be Gentrified..

Hopefully 20 years from now the 70's and 90's will be referred to as the dark ages and all will marvel at the stupidity of those generations.. it might even be funny then..

Comment

Working...
                    X