• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jamaican lottery scam causes one suicide

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/11/post_8.html

Lottery scam led to NJ grandmother's suicide
    by Tom Haydon Tuesday November 13, 2007, 10:00 AM

Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger
    A local police detective climbs down into the rocks where the body of a woman was discovered on the jetty, November 1.A Jamaica-based lottery scam promising a $2.5 million windfall cost Ann Mowle her entire life savings of $248,000 before the 72-year-old grandmother from Monroe decided she had enough.

Mowle donated her clothes to charity, left her beloved toy poodle Molly at a dog groomers and drove to Spring Lake on Oct. 31. A pair of fishermen found her body on the edge of a jetty at the Worthington Avenue beach the next day. Investigators determined Mowle's death was a suicide.

Mowle's family blames the vicious year-long con for the path to despair that ended on that Spring Lake beach.

The money she had set aside to travel in her retirement and help her grandchildren with college costs was gone. Attempts to recover the funds with the help of authorities only led to embarrassment. In Mowle's final months, she became a recluse -- too afraid to leave her apartment and miss the phone call that would finally provide a return of her lost money.

"You're not talking about a gullible person," said her daughter JoAnn Trivisonno, of Virginia. "You're taking about a fearless woman. If this could happen to her, it could happen to anyone."

Mowle, a college graduate who raised three children as a single working parent, received the first letter promising a $2.5 million jackpot in October 2006. To collect, she had to pay $18,000 in fees, which Mowle sent. From there, the scam spiraled out of control with a barrage of phone calls from the con-artists who duped her into sending more cash.

As a former bookkeeper at Princeton University, Mowle kept meticulous records of her year-long deception by the phony Jamaican lottery officials.

Mowle left the documents in a tidy stack on her dining room table in her apartment at the Rossmoor adult community before she left for the last time. The records detail more than 50 wire transfers ranging from $158 to $4,750 to addresses in Jamaica between October 2006 and June.

Despite the paper trail including names and phone numbers, investigators have had little luck in tracking down the scam-artists behind the ploy.

Read the full story in Tuesday's Star-Ledger.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Greed, simple.

Not sure if it was her case but a former Rusea's and Violet Kickers football players and his pregnant girlfriend were arrested for one of these cases.

A lot of people have been killed in Montego Bay stemming from this same scam.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      "You're not talking about a gullible person," said her daughter JoAnn Trivisonno, of Virginia. "You're taking about a fearless woman. If this could happen to her, it could happen to anyone."

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
        Yeah ... I really wondered if that person was talking off emotions at the time.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger
          A local police detective climbs down into the rocks where the body of a woman was discovered on the jetty, November 1.A Jamaica-based lottery scam promising a $2.5 million windfall cost Ann Mowle her entire life savings of $248,000 before the 72-year-old grandmother from Monroe decided she had enough.
          A sistren's granny used to give Jimmy Swaggart money one time ago, and when the kids found out wha a gwaan, them immediately took control of the granny assets. It wasn't a whole leap of money, just a few hundred mi believe. If yuh have older people round yuh, yuh just haffi watch and monitor how dem managing dem finances.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
            A sistren's granny used to give Jimmy Swaggart money one time ago, and when the kids found out wha a gwaan, them immediately took control of the granny assets. It wasn't a whole leap of money, just a few hundred mi believe. If yuh have older people round yuh, yuh just haffi watch and monitor how dem managing dem finances.
            Very true - these people are predators. I got an e-mail last week, telling me how much I had won in some foreign lottery and asking for info. I responded that Homeland Security was now hot on the trail.
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

I get at least one of that per week, one Saturday I was home doing nothing when I got one and decided to see how far it could go, I was actually on IM with some one who claimed to be in London working at the British Lottery at one time till i got bored and cut them off.
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

I am also following one up too, to see where it will lead. The bank to wire the $$ is also in England and I plan to forward the information to Scotland Yard as soon as dem gimme their account number.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I told them to take out the money for the processing and send me the rest
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post

LoL

Dat too cleve for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                      Dat's a good one Sickko Now, if ongle that woman was as Smart as you, she might still be alive.
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

something for nothing...i wonder if she had participated in that "Jamaican Lottery", if not, how could she expect to win?? i mean "if you haven't got a ticket you haven't got a chance"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Some are mlore complex than that, these scam artistes get their credit card info from the call centres and then call up the people and tell them they have won sweep stakes based on their spending patterns but must send money to pay taxes etc...
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

ef mi nuh enter nutten....mi naw win nutten. suh mi seet. people who want something for nothing are most at risk.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                            X