• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plenty of support for coach Tappa

Plenty of support for coach Tappa

Nodley Wright, Freelance Writer

( L - R ) Ricardo Gardner, Ian 'Pepe' Goodison - file photos

Just days into his new appointment as interim coach of the country's senior football team, Theodore Whitmore is getting mostly endorsements from former teammates and football observers.

The 35-year-old was, on Saturday, installed as interim coach for two friendly internationals coming on November 18 and 21 against El Salvador and Guatemala, respectively. He will be assisted by Bradley Stewart.

IT IS A JOY
    "It is a joy for those players that I used to play alongside in the national team. I have spoken to a number of them such as Ian Goodison and Ricardo Gardner and they were both happy for me and said that they are looking forward to working with me," said the man responsible for one of the country's greatest moments in football, when he scored twice to give the country its first ever win, a 2-1 victory over Japan in the World Cup finals.

"Ricardo has always been encouraging me to take the coaching seriously and to one day take over the coaching of the Jamaican team," added the man now in charge of Seba United.

Additionally, Whitmore said media veteran Ed Barnes who has enjoyed a close relationship with the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) under the leadership of Captain Horace Burrell, called to offer congratulations and advice.

Being a part of the national coaching staff, Whitmore said, has long been one of his dreams be it at the Under-15, Under-17, Under-20 or Under-23 levels.

"It does not matter at what level I just want to be there offering my service," he said, adding that whoever takes over from the recently dismissed Bora Milutinovic, he wants to be involved.

"Whether (Rene) Simoes comes or not I want to be there. I am willing to work with whoever is there. I have no problem working with any coach as long as our goal is the same, which is to move the country's football forward. It really does not matter who it is," explained the man who mesmerised many with his magical and deceptive skills in the midfield for Jamaica.

Of the opportunity itself, Whitmore said it is 'one to be grasped and as I said before probably it is what I showed as a player and what I have done with Seba United as a coach why they have decided to give me this opportunity."

Pure talking
    Before being granted this opportunity Whitmore was said to have been eyed for an assistant position to Milutinovic when he took over just under a year ago, but, according to Whitmore, it never got beyond the point of talk.

"With the Boxhill administration I guess it was just talking. I spoke with coach Bora once for about a minute and he said that he would get back in touch with me and no one did. I did not see it fit to call anyone so I guess it just ended at that," he said.

Now that he has the chance, Whitmore is hoping to acquit himself well.
    "This is the international level. Mr Bradley Stewart is an experienced and knowledgeable coach. I have played there so I know what it is like and what is expected so I could share that knowledge with the newer players and a number of the others I have played with."
    Whitmore added: "Come Thursday morning we will put the squad together and see what we have to work with. We will not have the full complement of players for both games but as it comes we will work with it."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X