Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too little too late? - Mixed reactions to Prime Minister's

Too little too late? - Mixed reactions to Prime Minister's address

Prime Minister Bruce Golding's first address to the nation since taking office two months ago has been met with mixed reactions.

Mr. Golding told consumers Sunday night that the high food and gas prices were the result of the supply-and-demand effect on the international market.

"These have been rough times for the consumer and I know that many of you are hurting," he said.

Wanted more

However, while acknowledging that the Prime Minister's presentation was good, Dr. Carol Archer, dean of the Faculty of the Built Environment at the University of Technology and a political analyst, said that she wanted more from the presentation.

"The first part of his speech was more of excuses," Dr. Archer, a former People's National Party candidate, said.

"I know he got through to the wider audience when he said, 'I know you are hurting', but while you recognise our pain, I also want to hear some very tangible solutions," Dr. Archer added.

She said Mr. Golding needed to rally the nation with his address. For example, she said, he could have called on the nation to save energy or to park their vehicles on a particular day and take the bus.

Meanwhile, the Jamaica Employers' Federation, through its executive director, Jacqueline Coke-Lloyd, has described Mr. Golding's presentation as "timely and comprehensive".

"It was well structured and it seems to have covered the priority areas," Mrs. Coke-Lloyd said.

"What was very clear is that there are a number of challenges that we face and we, therefore, need to look at some solutions - short-term, medium-term, long-term," Mrs. Coke-Lloyd added.

"We do share the concerns that have been presented by the Prime Minister," Mrs. Coke-Lloyd said.

Good job

For her part, Charlene Sharpe-Pryce, a lecturer at the Northern Caribbean University, said that Mr. Golding's presentation was "beautiful but a little late in coming".

"He did a very good job in explaining the conditions that the country is in, but I think that he was a little bit late in giving this speech," Mrs. Sharpe-Pryce said.

Mrs. Sharpe-Pryce said that if the address was done three weeks ago when food prices had begun to climb due to changes on the international market, it would have been better received by most Jamaicans.

"Persons are concerned with getting their bread-and-butter issues upfront and if something is impacting on them, he is obligated to speak to the people, even if it is to say that at a later date we will give you more information
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X