Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand.. can a

comrade help me out. Karl, Jawge ?

I thought PNP was the party of Infrastructure development ? Setting up the basis to LAUNCH out towards First World status.. creating the foundation...

"As persistently poor weather conditions continue to rain abuse on the island's infrastructure, Ronald Jackson, director general of the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM), says the island is at breaking point."

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ews/news1.html

Our Port Logistics got a poor grade recently too.

That was a surprise to me, as I thought we would have excelled there. Apparently, we did reasonably well on cost, but our red-tape score was appalling.

Jamaican logistics get poor grade

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Although Jamaica's ports are undergoing major expansion and upgrades, the country received a poor grade for its trade logistics.
    According to a World Bank study released yesterday, Jamaica's capacity to connect to international markets to ship goods was ranked 118 of 150 countries surveyed, not least of all attributed to the lack of ease and affordability of arranging international shipments.

Aerial view of Kingston Wharves, located in Kingston

The report titled 'Connecting to Compete: Trade Logistics in the Global Economy' is a study based on a world survey of international freight forwarders and express carriers.

The findings of the study indicate that "facilitating the capacity to connect firms, suppliers and consumers, is crucial in a world where predictability and reliability are becoming even more important than costs".
    "Being able to connect to global markets is fast becoming a key aspect of a country's capacity to compete, grow, attract investment, create jobs and reduce poverty," said Danny Leipziger, World Bank Vice-President for Poverty Reduction and Economic Management. "But for those unable to connect, the costs of exclusion are large and growing."

According to the study, which includes a Logistics Performance Index (LPI), Singapore, a major global transport and logistic hub, ranks first. At the other extreme are low-income countries, particularly those landlocked in Africa and Central Asia.

Jamaica's LPI rank, 118, was better than Caricom counterparts, Haiti, which was ranked 123, and Guyana, 141.
    But when put up against countries such as Dominican Republic - ranked 96th - and Panama (54th), with which Jamaica vies for transhipment business, the country's LPI paled in comparison.

Across seven categories which include the efficiency of the clearance process by customs, the quality of transport and information technology infrastructure, timeliness of shipments in reaching destination and ability to track and trace international shipments, both Mexico and Dom Rep outperformed Jamaica, excepting domestic logistics costs. Jamaica scored the fifth highest for that category.

But Jamaica's worst performing area was that of the ease and affordability of arranging international shipments. It was ranked 128th of the 150 countries.

Incidentally, Jamaica placed 80th of the countries surveyed on the issue of customs. The time taken between the submission of an accepted customs declaration and customs clearance was measured at three days compared to 1.7 days for Panama and 4.6 days for Dom Republic.

In terms of the total cost to transport a 40-foot container or semi-traler, including port services, countries such as Dom Rep and Panama came in at around US$250. Jamaica's was not included in the tables, but the cost to scan a container alone cost US$210 per scan.
    Last edited by Karl; November 13, 2007, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Bredrin.. for you to understand what is happening you simply need to attempt to introduce Supply Chain Technology to the Port Authority..forget about leap-frog technology, they are still using spreadsheets....

I mean if the PORT AUTHORITY are anti-technology.... I hope Fritz Pinnock succeeds in changing the mindset...

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
        comrade help me out. Karl, Jawge ?

I thought PNP was the party of Infrastructure development ? Setting up the basis to LAUNCH out towards First World status.. creating the foundation...

"As persistently poor weather conditions continue to rain abuse on the island's infrastructure, Ronald Jackson, director general of the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM), says the island is at breaking point."

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ews/news1.html
        Simple - For example both the Bible's teachings and Karl Marx's teaching are inherently good. It, however, takes man to bring that good into 'light' or hide it away in darkness.

The roads...and, many other pieces of our infrastructure...is put together by others outside of the good plans of the PNP ...and, the good plans of the JLP for that matter...the persons/companies and entities who constructed our roads...and continue to construct our roads are at fault! Poor shoddy work done!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Well let us examine the actual body of work which you claim to be great although I am not sure about your reference point... (nothing happened before 1972 apparantly)

Surely the awarding of contracts takes into account prior workmanship and capabilities ?

Tendering process is certainly adhered to is it not ?

The PNP Admin surely has made sure that the process is transparent and fair.. no ?

At some point you must decide you have sunk far enough.. however I am willing to explore the depths of your 'commitment'...

I await your response...

Comment

When you give contracts to cronies...you suffer the consequences.

I am making a general statement now.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              When you give contracts to cronies...you suffer the consequences.

I am making a general statement now.
              Agreed!

Yet some may overlook - If 'the cronies' are the very best experts at the job/task you have...then 'the cronies' it must be!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

No problem with that.

Dont even need to be the best...just competence is all I ask for at the moment. We have to crawl before we run.

Truth is we all know that the past GOJ granted road contracts to shafters. It happened way too often. I hope this one does not do the same. Indeed, i hope we make more roads from Cememnt impregnated asphalt!

Comment

Once again you have twisted yourself into a pretzel..

You have already condemned the 'cronies'.. remember ?

Paulwell says.. 'It wasn't me'

And you are the chief cheerleader..

Then when people talk about rationalizing the Public Sector.. yuh bawl about employment...

Yuh soon strangle yuhself.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                    No problem with that.

Dont even need to be the best...just competence is all I ask for at the moment. We have to crawl before we run.

Truth is we all know that the past GOJ granted road contracts to shafters. It happened way too often. I hope this one does not do the same. Indeed, i hope we make more roads from Cememnt impregnated asphalt!
                    Willi: Do you not wonder why the 'asses in control' cannot see that do things right and well...will save us money and in the process build the economy and make even more money for them to tief?!...if only they would take a likle bit (keep the mark-ups at a reasonable level) and mek as Shatta Cleve would say, ebry man eat a food?

Just look at our roads? Look at the miles and miles of main roads and miles and miles of feeder roads. The 'road-builders' would have roads to build and maintain without re-building the same ones over and over after every shower of rain. The fortunes can be made and the country blessed with...not just good, but great roads!

Comment

Exactly!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X