• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They lie!

Paulwell lashes JLP 'innuendoes, half-truths' in light bulb scandal
    INGRID BROWN, Observer staff reporter browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007

PAULWELL. may the chips fall where they may
    PHILLIP Paulwell, the former energy minister, came out swinging yesterday, describing suggestions of cronyism and overspending in the contentious Cuban light bulb affair as a "reckless and deliberate lie".

After weeks of dodging in the shadows while his former junior minister Kern Spencer took the heat, Paulwell declared his innocence of any wrongdoing and said he was confident the current investigations underway would confirm that.

Paulwell also sought to deflect attention to the professionals and officers in his former ministry and the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica (PCJ), whose duties include policy formulation and advice, making recommendations, execution of programmes and projects, evaluation, oversight and monitoring.

"I have never been written to, or advised that there were any major concerns or financial irregularities about any aspects of the Cuban light bulb programme," he said.

"I neither hire nor fire these professionals and therefore must rely on them for the work and the level of professionalism required by the ministry which I had political responsibility for," Paulwell added.

As then minister, he said, he would not have had any involvement whatsoever in the selection of any contractors.
    Paulwell, a super minister under the Portia Simpson Miller administration, was the man who secured the gift of four million light bulbs from the government of Cuba, intending to save Jamaica millions of dollars in energy cost.

But new energy minister, Clive Mullings, divulged to Parliament two weeks ago that the gift bulb project had chalked up $114.7 million in questionable spending.
    Mullings said the expenditure could climb to over $280 million.

Hitting back, Paulwell lashed Mullings' claim of overspending and cronyism as "innuendoes, half-truths and outright lies" and suggested through his publicist that the Auditor General's Department should conduct a forensic audit of the programme.

Paulwell said he had kept silent up to now, only to allow the president of the People's National Party (PNP), Portia Simpson Miller, the party's Investigation Committee and party officers to study the reports on the entire matter.

Simpson Miller had demanded a report from both Paulwell and Spencer after Mullings' disclosure, and then asked the party committee to look into that report when it was submitted.

"I am confident that at the end of the various investigations and audit procedure, the JLP's attack will be seen for what it is - another reckless and deliberate lie," Paulwell said.

His statement comes a day after Portia Simpson Miller's announcement that she would be meeting this week with the two men at the centre of the scandal for further discussions.

Addressing party supporters at the South East St Catherine constituency meeting for the Edgewater Division to introduce councillor candidate Alric Campbell in Portmore on Sunday, Simpson Miller said she was unable to speak extensively on the issue as it was now a legal matter. But she welcomed the investigation and hoped for a speedy conclusion.

"The law must take its place in everything," she said, adding that she knew something which she was not yet ready to divulge.

In his defence, Paulwell said it was always recognised that millions of dollars would have to be spent transporting, accommodating and feeding the installation team of 300 Cubans and almost 1,200 Jamaican volunteers who travelled across Jamaica to over 500,000 households in 55 constituencies, removing old bulbs and replacing them with energy-efficient bulbs.

"Actually, feeding over 1,000 persons and sometimes as many as 1,500 persons three meals per day for close to four months accounts for a substantial amount of the funds expended, "Paulwell said in the statement.

Paulwell, however, conceded that there might have been some "inefficiencies and deficiencies" in the administration and procurement procedures. "In this regard, I await the findings of the Contractor-General's Office and may the chips fall where they may."

He declined to elaborate on his statement, telling the Observer that he would not be answering any questions until he holds a press conference on Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

In his statement, Paulwell accused Energy Minister Mullings of attempting to "besmirch what is one of the most effective energy-saving programmes in the history of the country".

Paulwell said not only were the Cubans satisfied with the roll-out of the programme, but had implemented the model used in Jamaica in other Caribbean countries.

The project had saved Jamaica $480 million per month on its energy bill, which translated to a saving of $16 million a day.
    He urged the government to complete the project and to reimburse the members of parliament and the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica (PCJ) who had incurred expenses as part of the project.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

For a minute I thought it was Mosiah.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

In his defence, Paulwell said it was always recognised that millions of dollars would have to be spent transporting, accommodating and feeding the installation team of 300 Cubans and almost 1,200 Jamaican volunteers who travelled across Jamaica to over 500,000 households in 55 constituencies, removing old bulbs and replacing them with energy-efficient bulbs.

So no-one ran the numbers to see that this was not a cost effective model of distribution?

If it cost $200B he would still defend it. How can Caesar investigate Caesar? 2 weeks for a skimpy 2 page report and another week for a 6 member committee to evaluate it and this is the result. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post

So no-one ran the numbers to see that this was not a cost effective model of distribution?

If it cost $200B he would still defend it. How can Caesar investigate Caesar? 2 weeks for a skimpy 2 page report and another week for a 6 member committee to evaluate it and this is the result. Sigh.
        The truth is - even if the MPs - i.e. Paulwell & Kern - went out spoke with and engineered the formation of companies...then caused the handing of the contracts to the companies to distribute and manage distribution of the bulbs...IF WHAT PAULWELL IS NOW SAYING IS TRUE ...that is a far cry from fraud!

If, however, deliberate attempts were made by the companies and or the principals and or managers of the compaines so formed to double invoice and to charge exhorbitant fees and or to obtain funds/payments by fraudulent means then attempts to commit fraud would be fact!

Let the chips fall where they may!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl, are you serious? Put aside your preference for the past government aside for a moment. This whole issue stinks, and fi a country so pauperized like Jamaica, paying people to distribute "free" bulbs was an incredible waste of money. We all know the comrades got rich off this scheme.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

And if it was not fraud but simply gross mismanagement of the tax-payer's money.. what then ?

Comment

Agreed... but we all know this.

Fraud is always corruption, but corruption need not be fraud!

Comment

Yuh ask if Karl serious ?

Yuh tink is an easy task defending the indefensible.. seriousness is a pre-requisite for that task...

Seriously compromised
                Seriously committed

That is the problem, people that are 'serious' and 'mean well'.. seriously committed..

"We ALWAYS BELIEVE that WE are BEST for Jamaica, and so, ANYTHING that will cause us to be in power is therefore best for Jamaica"

Ends justifies the means...

Pity they are delusional..

Comment

Look how livid this lady is!

If Spencer is found guilty, jail every 'jack man'!

Monday, November 12, 2007

Dear Editor,
                  I watched, listened and read with amazement the cover-up with Kern Spencer and the Cuban light bulb issue. The blatant protection and cover-up in full view of all to see was astonishing. I never witnessed contempt of this magnitude, and I fret for a society that had 18 years of their filth... yes, I mean downright filth from the now opposition!

The people Jamaicans voted in to protect us, to ensure accountability at all levels, have failed us, and it is right there on television for all to see, even the Chairman Bobby Pickersgill! Imagine not one single PNP member came forward in the interest of our country to say, "Stop this rotten spectacle and answer to what happen to these millions of dollars of our people's money."
                  Thanks to the PNP of 18 years, we are the poorest country in the Caribbean; and many of us believe that corruption is the root cause. I come home to Jamaica regularly and I get more depressed each time.
                  On my last visit a few weeks ago, I saw a 'light' and felt a breath of fresh air. I only hope that Mr Golding and his team are able to get Jamaica to work in spite of our trillion-dollar debt, our rundown infrastructure and poor people with great expectations.
                  I felt strongly enough to write about this because EVERY (and I emphasise this after that spectacle in Parliament last week) opposition MP should be jailed if Kern Spencer is found guilty of corruption, for their complicity. The rest of the world is watching us, and this looks BAD!
                  Shirley Spencer
                  Brookdale, PA
                  shpick46@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    "Actually, feeding over 1,000 persons and sometimes as many as 1,500 persons three meals per day for close to four months accounts for a substantial amount of the funds expended, "Paulwell said in the statement.
                    $4,000,000 US to feed 1500 people for 4 months? It's TALK A DI TOWN dem was a eat at? And how di PNP conduct dem forensic audit so fast?

Comment

2 page document is no real audit.

Comment

What's up with the Font color ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                          Karl, are you serious? Put aside your preference for the past government aside for a moment. This whole issue stinks, and fi a country so pauperized like Jamaica, paying people to distribute "free" bulbs was an incredible waste of money. We all know the comrades got rich off this scheme.
                          Are you crazy?

There are two issues - i) Whether or not the country overpaid for the distribution of the lightbulbs; ii) Whether or not fraud and or any criminal offense was committed.

I addressed number "2".

As it relates to number "1" - Two questions jump out at you. a) Could not these MPs - i.e. Paulwell and Kearn - find a more economical way to distribute the bulbs?

Was it necessary for the Cubans to be involved in the distribution? Was the matter of Cubans being involved in the distribution of the bulbs a part of the agreement wioth the Cuban Government?

Did the Cuban Government insist our people must be involved or there would be no gift of bulbs? If yes, how many jamaicans were deemed necessary to assist? Where too many locals given the temporary jobs?

If no, why weren't the jobs given to Jamaicans only? Number of persons needed? Was there over-hiring?

b) The matter of Kearn's companion and mother of his child having an ownership interest in the companies used to distribute the bulbs and or manage the program of distribution of the bulbs - I am not clear on. The news media reports varingly claim she worked for one or both of the companies and there seems to be an underlying suggestion on this site that she was a part-owner of one or both of the companies. If she worked for and held a high management post and or was a part-owner of either or both of the companies named then it is obvious that conflict of interest issues arise.

There is also the underlying suggestion i) in parliament by Mullings [interesting to note (as far as I can tell) - that no other JLP MP seems to have weighted in on this matter], ii) in the media - print and electronic, and, iii) on this site, that Paulwell and Kearn have committed criminal acts.

That is left to be proven!
                          Last edited by Karl; November 13, 2007, 09:58 AM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Styling!
                            LoL

Comment

Orange... thought it would have been green.. given the sentiment..

Comment

Working...
                              X