X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No jobs for 'Bob'

No jobs for 'Bob'

Francine Black, Staff Reporter

The Government definitely has its work cut out for them. Soaring food costs, continued devaluation of the Jamaican dollar and rising hopelessness among the Jamaican people are some key things they need to tackle immediately.

Myself and many of my friends are actually worried about what is to come. Unfortunately for some of my friends, their worries are even worse as though they have been trained in their fields, they cannot get a job.

Disheartening
    This I find to be the most disheartening. One of my friends invested time and energy to gain level two certification in construction from the Heart Trust yet having completed it at least four months ago, he cannot find a job, despite a so called boom in the sector.

And, he is not the only one who is finding it hard to get a job as he has some other batch mates who are also stuck in the same position. His inability to find a job has not been from lack of trying. Applying to company after company and for every possible vacancy he has heard about, only to be turned down.

It is no wonder so many of our young men find so much idle time, which sometimes leads to negative consequences. Fortunately, my friend and his friends continue to push on hoping that one day their applications will bring some success.

But there are those persons who will spend years searching for a job to no avail. It is often said that young people do not want to work , but we also need to consider the many who do want to but cannot find jobs.

The ones who actually believe that hard work can mean success must be assisted to achieve their hopes and dreams. There are young people who are willing to work their way up the ladder, use their earnings to invest in their education, but they do not have the opportunity.

Maybe they are not approaching the job search properly and this raises the need for some sort of Government employment office where young people like my friend can go and sign up and be guided in the job search process.

Gov't agencies
    I am specifically asking for a Government agency because there are so many illegal work agencies out there scamming gullible and desperate persons. And I would hope that if an agency like this is created it would cater to persons from all educational backgrounds.
    There are many young people who want to work and make a valued contribution to the society and who also want a chance to earn their way legally through life. They however cannot do this without a job and if the Government does not quickly address the job shortage , we are only breeding a generation of hopeless and worthless Jamaicans.

e-mail comments to francineblack@lycos.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Maybe they are not approaching the job search properly and this raises the need for some sort of Government employment office where young people like my friend can go and sign up and be guided in the job search process.

Gov't agencies
    I am specifically asking for a Government agency because there are so many illegal work agencies out there scamming gullible and desperate persons. And I would hope that if an agency like this is created it would cater to persons from all educational backgrounds.
    Agreed. The US has such an office. What is the Ministry of Labour doing in this regard?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X