Gov’t to beef up security at Financial Investigation Divisio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov’t to beef up security at Financial Investigation Divisio

As the government rushes to plug the loophole which led to the theft of more than $17 million being held in evidence Special Advisor Colonel Trevor McMillan has been called in to improve security at the Financial Investigation Division.

Finance Minister Audley Shaw made the disclosure in an interview with RJR News Thursday night.

The Minister said action has also been taken to secure other funds being held in evidence.

"What I have had to do as an interim step because there were additional funds in the safe and I have ordered that it be moved to the Bank of Jamaica for safe keeping," said Mr. Shaw.

"I have also issued instructions to the head of the division that I am holding her personally responsible for what is in the safe and that she and she alone should have access to the safe,"

"In matters like that you have to be able to hold one person explicitly accountable and in circumstances where more than one person can have, what appeared to be unsupervised access then the potential for problems clearly exists as in this case," he said.

He said he was not pleased with the security system at the Financial Investigation Division, which is grossly understaffed.

In light of this Mr. Shaw said he has asked Colonel McMillan to make recommendations on how the department's security systems can be strengthened.

He says he expects a report in a few days.

The $17 million was seized from persons who are under investigation for financial crimes.

The fraud squad is investigating the theft.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/2845/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post

Finance Minister Audley Shaw made the disclosure in an interview with RJR News Thursday night.

The Minister said action has also been taken to secure other funds being held in evidence.

"What I have had to do as an interim step because there were additional funds in the safe and I have ordered that it be moved to the Bank of Jamaica for safe keeping," said Mr. Shaw.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/2845/26/
    Dem tief...har dat deh tief...par-ti-cu-la bad? Jus go-eeen an tief heg-xactly di hu-much million dem/im/har guh fa?

Wanda ow-much time hit tek fi count hout dat de heg-xact ha-mount? ...har hit di count hout readi fi di tief, har tief dem jus fi pick hup?
    Last edited by Karl; November 9, 2007, 02:02 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X