Gov’t fast tracking the resumption of hanging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov’t fast tracking the resumption of hanging

The Bruce Golding administration is fast tracking arrangements in preparation for the resumption of hanging in Jamaica.

Minister of National Security, Derrick Smith, has requested a list of the names of all persons currently on Death Row.

He says the Ministry of Justice has been asked to compile the information.

The Security Minister says this will help the authorities to determine whether all condemned persons have exhausted the appeals process.

Speaking Thursday on Beyond the Headlines Mr. Smith said the Government is intent on resuming hanging.

"I have already requested from the Minister of Justice the names of persons who have been condemned to death who are currently on Death Row who have not yet started their appeals, because as you know we have a time constraint, we have to complete all the appeals within a five year period," said Mr. Smith.

"So to get this information, primarily for the purpose to have the Death Warrants signed so individuals who would be interested can appeal it, commence their appeal so hopefully we will get all the appeals completed within the five year period so we can resume hanging," he said.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/2842/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Bwoy mi nuh too certain bout the hanging thing. I do hope the gov't face some opposition on this. YES ... I was all for it, but after hearing of a former security guard that was sentenced to death ... only for video evidence to prove it wasn't him.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Finally something for Karl to rally behind....

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
        Finally something for Karl to rally behind....
        I have been consistent on not favouring hanging!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Just bird shooting ?

Yuh is one confused breddah..

Comment

Just bird shooting ?

Yuh is one confused breddah..
            Ban guns!
            ...then, any one outside of the security forces found with one - 'bud'!

Currently all with illegal guns - bud!

...and, I do not believe in hanging!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Ban guns!
              ...then, any one outside of the security forces found with one - 'bud'!

Currently all with illegal guns - bud!

...and, I do not believe in hanging!
              Karl, do you actually get drunk before posting? What madness dat yuh just post? Yuh nuh believe in hanging yet .... then again. sigh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                Karl, do you actually get drunk before posting? What madness dat yuh just post? Yuh nuh believe in hanging yet .... then again. sigh!!

Disarm the society...excepting for the security forces.

Bud shooting time...is like the cops are acosted...like when a man or woman or youngster 'jump out pan yuh' fi kill yuh...unda dem deh circumstance yuh mus defend yuhself - shoot down di bud.

If cop comes upon a man with a gun in his waist - No reading of miranda rights - bud just get shot.

If yuh a nuh bud yuh naah ave nuh gun! Yuh naaah get shot! Pure luv iffen yuh a good sumadi!

----

Real instance - The cops are going down lanes (that is part of the area that they must patrol) in a known terrible area ...gun.badman area...or even a not terrible area...a man comes out with a gun and then turns and run.

What must the cops do?
                1. Run out of the area?

2. Shoot di bud?

3. Run out of the area never to return?

Which action taken consistently will allow the people in the area to eventually have peace and be able to more around any time day or night?

Comment

I fully well understand your drunken stance. Same way the people at Kraal were shot like buds? You are a sick man. No wonder Adams want to be commish.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    I fully well understand your drunken stance. Same way the people at Kraal were shot like buds? You are a sick man. No wonder Adams want to be commish.
                    I wonder if you are considering that NO ONE SHOULD EVER PERMIT SELF TO BE A GUN CRIMINAL?

I wonder if you are thinking that in our country every citizen should have the right and be able to exercise the right to move around free from fear?

I wonder if you understand we all should be able to wander anywhere in our country at any time night or day and KNOW THERE IS NO THREAT TO LIFE AND LIMB from criminals?

I wonder if you see that no one should permit himself or herself to be 'bud'? ...well if there are some within the society that tell us no one...including the police can visit their communities unless it is under pain of death, then those persons MUST BE REMOVED! ...and, no others must even think of re-instituting such a climate...a climate of gun-rule!

Anyone who lays down those 'gun-laws' i.e. with gun in hand I make the rules' - make themselves 'bud'! They have a choice lay down the gun and join us or keep it and consider themselves...and, make selves 'bud'. This gun on every corner thing must cease!

Yuh tek dis gun violence ting it fi joke! Dat is no joke! It must stop! ...and, everyone must know it must stop!

No gun! ...or, yuh a bud!

Comment

Okaay.. now suppose the bud nuh dead and gets convicted for Murder and is on death row ?

He should not be executed ?

Please help me to understand the mind of Karl...

Comment

Ok but what do we do in the meantime while you can legally possess a gun ?

Comment

I support hanging for individuals who indiscriminately kill innocent people. I also believe that private law abiding citizens should be allowed to have a firearm to protect themselves, their family and property. Too many times a gunman will break into your house and torture or kill you, because they know you cannot protect yourself.

I believe that if a man is willing to kill, he should be willing to pay with his life for such a crime. Hopefully that would serve as a deterent to so many people getting killed in Jamaica.
                          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                            I support hanging for individuals who indiscriminately kill innocent people. I also believe that private law abiding citizens should be allowed to have a firearm to protect themselves, their family and property. Too many times a gunman will break into your house and torture or kill you, because they know you cannot protect yourself.

I believe that if a man is willing to kill, he should be willing to pay with his life for such a crime. Hopefully that would serve as a deterent to so many people getting killed in Jamaica.
                            Hanging should be reserved for those with multiple murder charges.

That will reduce false positives and target the likely incorrigibles.

Comment

Okaay.. now suppose the bud nuh dead and gets convicted for Murder and is on death row ?

He should not be executed ?

Please help me to understand the mind of Karl...
                              It is one thing to take a life when the considered opinion is your life is in immediate danger...it is entirely a different thing when the culprit has been caught is securely locked away and has not opportunity to do damage to the wider society.

To them deliberate sit and cold bloodily plan the murder of such a person or such persons reduce those who do such acts to themselves murderers! I would kill - have no doubt I could - when someone is activiely attempting to kill me and or others...but, I could not sit and plan in cold blood the execution of another.

Comment

Working...
                              X