Running scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running scared

Beenie Man's tax woes have caused artistes to become more mindful of declaring their earnings.

The artistes are now being very careful not to disclose too much about their earnings publicly for fear that the tax collectors might come knocking.

Many, including Beenie Man's former manager, Patrick Roberts of Shocking Vibes Limited, felt that tax collectors had based their assessment of his value on utterances Beenie made. Roberts told the Star that some of what Beenie said was "not true, but was said just to keep himself in the hype".

Since then, other artistes have become reticent. One artiste, who was recently interviewed by THE STAR, begged that no mention be made of the fact that he was currently performing on shows overseas. "Nuh bodda sey a show mi deh ova yah a do, mi nuh want everybody know dat, cause yuh done know, wid all a di tax ting dem wey a gwaan yah now," the artiste said.

Too caught up

Burru Banton deejayed on Killamanjaro. - file

However, veteran artiste Buru Banton says although things were different back in his heyday, some of the artistes today are too caught up in the hype and 'flossing' and as in Beenie's case, attract the wrong kind of attention.

"When we use to deejay dem time deh a hundred an two hundred dolla mi a mek, a afta Shabba time money did really start mek," Banton said.

But according to Banton, "everybody a guh ketch dem fraid yah now cause it look like sey dem man yah (tax collectors) nuh out fi gi wey nutt'n. But why a think dem ting yah reach dem, like Beenie, a to di hypeness. Cause which Government really know wah you guh out guh buy an dem ting deh?" "A you come a road come talk it," Buru said.

He continued, "all sometimes a wah yuh put inna yuh songs to him sey, 'mi a millionaire from mi a twenty', plus di heavy flossing wey a gwaan an people a look pon certain tings, like all di time Beenie turn ova him Humma an den come pon T.V come sey him buy back one, not even fi try lie an sey a di same one mi beat out?"

But other high profile entertianers like Elephant Man, believe that 'flossing' does not attract tax problems, so long as you pay up.

Party hard and floss

Elephant Man

Elephant Man says he intends to continue to party hard and 'floss' as usual, because he has reliable persons around him who attend to the business aspect of his career, ensuring that things like his taxes are taken care of.

"My flossing nuh really have nutt'n fi do wid di tax people, me pay my taxes. Yuh cyan tax people tru dem party an floss hard? Wi haffi enjoy wi self cause wi work hard, an a jus we fi mek sure sey wi have wi manager ar people wey wi trus fi tek care a dah side deh like paying taxes. Mi have my management wey tek care a dah side deh an mek sure sey every ting good, a Q45 deal wid my ting, cause mi have faith inna him fi tek care a dah part while we party," Elephant Man said.

He also added, "if yuh nuh have somebody fi deal wid dah part a di business wey yuh have faith inna, den you haffi jus mek sure deal wid it yuh self."

Beenie Man is said to owe the Government $29.29 million in back taxes and $18.64 million in penalties, bringing the outstanding amount to $47.93 million. When he last appeared before the court, the deejay said he was not aware that he had outstanding payments and said his management team was responsible for such business.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"Nuh bodda sey a show mi deh ova yah a do, mi nuh want everybody know dat, cause yuh done know, wid all a di tax ting dem wey a gwaan yah now," the artiste said"

In order for an artist to work overseas, isn't a work permit needed? In the US' case a work visa? Can't the Inland Revenue get a list of all work visas issued or something like that?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The US Embassy is under no obligation to share its info with local authorities, and I don't think they would in matters like this. I could be wrong, however. They may give a number of permits issued, but not the details of them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        The US Embassy is under no obligation to share its info with local authorities, and I don't think they would in matters like this. I could be wrong, however. They may give a number of permits issued, but not the details of them.
        Okay! Suh there is a loophole for the entertainers then?

Comment

All the tax collector have to do is get the booking agents and have money from royalities reported. Wha the artist them a talk a foolishness. Tax man can't tax you fi the hype. So they want to perform but no pay the tax.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            All the tax collector have to do is get the booking agents and have money from royalities reported. Wha the artist them a talk a foolishness. Tax man can't tax you fi the hype. So they want to perform but no pay the tax.
            Even the booking agent overseas? Him nuh affi report nothing to the Jamaican gov't.

Comment

They aren't taxed on overseas shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                They aren't taxed on overseas shows.
                So? As a citizen of Jamaica dem must pay dem extortion opps .. taxes like everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  So? As a citizen of Jamaica dem must pay dem extortion opps .. taxes like everybody else.
                  You cannot be taxed twice. Yuh starting to sound like SICKKO the communist

Comment

The artist does, it is their responsibility plus remember most of the shows are advertised and most of the artists have local agents to escape the tax by the US and English government which is more than what the Ja government is charging.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Reminds me of an incident a few years back when I was either at the Gleaner or the Jamaica Record, cant recall now, I was asked to go interview Tiger who was supposed to be appearing on some big show in MoBay in a few weeks time.

After I was introduced to him, he then spent the better part of the night studiously avoiding me, and it got from being funny to being ridiculous until I backed him into a corner and when I explained to him what I was there for, he apologised and made some comment that he thought I was selling him insurance or was from the tax office.
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                        You cannot be taxed twice. Yuh starting to sound like SICKKO the communist
                        Bricktop, in the hotel industry there are Americans working at many hotels. Question, don't they have to file taxes in the USA?

Comment

Just call me Sickko the RED....LOL!
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

Did you know that every time our athletes perform in Europe they must pay taxes on every dollar they earn in the country they earn it?

I am sure the artiste must pay taxes when they perform in Europe as well.

I don't believe that the artistes and athletes should be liable to pay taxes to the Jamaican government on money they earn outside of the country.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

Agreement Between the Government of Canada and The Government of Jamaica

For the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion With Respect to Taxes on Income
                              This electronic version of the Canada-Jamaica Income Tax Agreement signed on March 30, 1978 is provided for convenience of reference only and has no official sanction.
                              The Government of Canada and the Government of Jamaica desiring to conclude an Agreement for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income, have agreed as follows:

The terms "a Contracting State" and "the other Contracting State" mean Canada or Jamaica, respectively.

1. Notwithstanding the provisions of Articles VII, XV and XVI, income derived by entertainers, such as theatre, motion picture, radio or television artistes and musicians, and by athletes, from their personal activities as such may be taxed in the Contracting State in which these activities are exercised.

Comment

Working...
                              X