EDITORIAL - No time for political games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDITORIAL - No time for political games

Portia continues to disappoint. When is she going to lead by being decisive!?!

EDITORIAL - No time for political games
    published: Thursday | November 8, 2007

After we get past the drama of a weeping Kern Spencer, the former junior minister in the ministry of energy, the Jamaican public still awaits some specifics from the People's National Party on the Cuba/Jamaica light bulb distribution project.

The initial response from Portia Simpson Miller, the party's president, was to give Phillip Paulwell, the former minister under whose portfolio the project fell, and Mr. Spencer, two weeks to draft a report and submit same for perusal. Having received the report on Tuesday, Mrs. Simpson Miller has now appointed a six-member committee of senior and junior party functionaries to leaf through the report.

Notwithstanding the referral of documents to the Fraud Squad, Auditor General and the Contractor General by the Government, we fail to see what light Dr. Omar Davies, Donald Buchanan, Peter Phillips, A.J. Nicholson, Easton Douglas and Lisa Hanna can shed on the matter that Messrs Paulwell and Spencer could not. Is the stage being set for anything other than damage control?

The Jamaican public is apparently being asked, at this stage, to believe that the previous government, except for Messrs Spencer and Paulwell, was entirely in the dark about the management of the project. If that is so, how can they and the wider public be assured that anything done was in accordance with established procedures?

The Jamaican public simply needs to know a few things. Is it true that Mr. Spencer gave instructions, as reported to Parliament by Energy Minster Clive Mullings, for payments amounting to millions of dollars to be made to several entities, but principally to Universal Management and Development Company Ltd; which was incorporated just ahead of the commencement of the project?

On what basis were the recommendations made?

How was this company, which is not on the approved list of the National Contracts Committee, given the responsibility for the work?

What track record does its principals have that made him/them the 'obvious' choice for this project?

Were the Cuban volunteers paid a stipend by their government and the Jamaican Government? If so, why? Are there instances of double payment for work done?

In all the controversy over this specific issue, the Jamaican public should not lose sight of what, at best, would be careless oversight, but quite possibly contempt for the offices of the Contractor General and Auditor General with regard to the awarding and management of this contract and, by extension, the public. How much debate and concern have there been throughout the life of the past PNP administration over procedural breaches in the awarding of contracts? How can the public be asked to accept that these are all mistakes?

While we appreciate that the report of the investigation lends itself to a great deal of politicking, what is of greater importance is that the public be presented with all the facts. If there are concerns about public expenditure, then let the probes lead to their natural conclusions. The Government should not allow itself to be detained by charges of witch-hunts - charges which themselves may just be aimed at obfuscating the issues.

The opinions on this page, except for the above, do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. To respond to a Gleaner editorial, email us: editor@gleanerjm.com or fax: 922-6223. Responses should be no longer than 400 words. Not all responses will be published.
    Last edited by Karl; November 8, 2007, 09:37 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Political games? If the gleaner and other media houses took the time to do their own investigations like NNN have been doing, it would be clear that any claim of political games or witch hunt is nothing more than smoke screens.

Mosiah, when yuh going to learn that its hard to teach old .... know what mek me change it .... what gone bad a morning, cyaan come good a evening. You are looking for certain traits in Portia that does not exist. When yuh going to admit that?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

At last someone or an entity agrees with my position!
      Simple - let the investigations occur and after let the chips fall where they may!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I have already assessed Portia. No need to admit anything.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Observer EDITORIAL: Hope in Kern Spencer's tears

Hope in Kern Spencer's tears

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Quite apart from the sympathy which decent persons are wont to feel, seeing Kern Spencer wracked in tears in parliament on Tuesday, we sense that in those tears may be hope for the nation.
          For what it's worth, we are relieved that Mr Spencer's reaction was not the usual 'wrong and strong', 'take it or leave it' braggadocio now familiar after the revelation of each scandal.

Not that he has admitted to any wrongdoing. Indeed, he has not yet spoken, apparently on the advice of more seasoned colleagues who understand that anything he says will be treated as evidence. At the outset, let us eschew any attempt to find Mr Spencer guilty before he has been tried. In this jurisprudence, one is still innocent until proven guilty.
          However, we have a vested interest in a thorough investigation of the Cuban light bulb affair, one that will unearth the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

In this regard, we would urge Mr Spencer to spell out the facts to the country. If his tears are to be interpreted as contrition, let him do what is right before God and man. Too much seems wrong about this affair and too many questions are unanswered.

It is difficult for the ordinary man, both in Jamaica and Cuba, to understand how a gift of light bulbs could turn out so costly to a struggling nation. Why was it necessary to set up two private companies to handle what, in the scheme of things, is a small project that any of a number of government agencies could manage?

Since members of parliament were asked to undertake some of the expenses, why would the services of the private companies be so costly?
          If the Cuban government undertook to pay the stipend of its nationals who volunteered to work with the light bulb programme, why were invoices submitted for stipend?

These are questions that must be answered, in order to bring a sense of sanity and accountability to the country. This is a matter that goes beyond the individuals whose names are associated with it. It goes to the heart of what governance is about.

Worse, it comes at the end of a long list of scandals, for which few, if any, are willing to take responsibility.

But it is not only Kern Spencer who needs to come clean. The Opposition People's National Party (PNP) is sullying its name by dragging out its own response. After waiting two weeks to get a report from Mr Spencer and his boss, Mr Phillip Paulwell, one can only conclude that the decision to convene a committee to look at that report is playing for more time. Why?
          We take no pleasure in the prospect of the destruction of a promising young life. For we are sure that Mr Spencer, like the typical young person, was imbued with patriotism and a selfless desire to serve his compatriots, when he entered representational politics.

If at all he went wrong, there will be consequences according to law. But if he was led astray, or if he acted in someone else's name, or on someone else's behalf, he must not be made to stand those consequences alone.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Do you think Portia is handling it properly?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Why did PNP members keep Kern from talking?

The Editor, Sir:

The Gleaner headline, yesterday read, 'Kern wept'. As the story of the Cuban 'free' bulbs continues to unravel, we might see persons being arrested and charged.

Minister Clive Mullings stated that "this is not a question of irregularities; this raises questions of fraud". My God, my God. The scandals of the People's National Party (PNP) have followed it from government to opposition. Is it not fair to assert that with the PNP, there is no shortage of scandals?

Caught in the middle of all this is the young MP, Kern Spencer. I cannot say that I am not moved with compassion for this young politician. This story, however, is not really about compassion, it's much more than that.

Why did PNP members keep Kern from responding? Is it that they fear that if he opened his mouth the truth will pop out? Why did Mr. Pickersgill say, "Kern, Kern sit down"? This is a serious matter. Serious enough for Kern to weep, but obviously not serious enough for Paulwell to be daunted. Paulwell is no stranger to matters of this kind. By the way, where was Paulwell? Something is very wrong.

Victim of PNP wiles

I believe Kern has fallen victim to the wiles of the PNP. As it relates to the scandal, could it be that he was just taking instructions (from his elders)? Could it be that he was assured immunity to any backlash that might occur on the premise that the PNP would have returned to government? Could it be that a promise of a Cabinet position was enough motivation?

In the end, Kern is going to be as much a victim of the PNP as the Jamaican people. I, therefore, encourage Kern to talk. CALL NAMES. Speak the truth and nothing but the truth. In the same breath, let this be a lesson for all political representatives, "Don't ramp wid Jamaican people money."

I am, etc.,

DAREN S. LARMOND
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Do you think Portia is handling it properly?
                If I knew what she has in that report I could answer definitively...but, here is my gut feeling - at the very least there was gross ineptitude and greed, therefore she is being cautious...allowing those of her party (there are obviously others involved possible civil servants and definitely private citizens) time to 'have best legal advice'.

...I am thinking that if it was an open and shut case as some are saying she would have no option, for her own political sake, but to throw those involved to the wolves.

I am thinking - a position as a matter of commonsense I would take if what I am guessing is true - that after this is over if persons were culpulable she will take the action I would take...run the 'dummies-scamps' out of the party - any leadership role and active role....certainly out of her inner group....'dun dem'!

Many persons of principle have stuck to 'wrong-doers' through the 'wrong-doers' personal fire and then after it is over - told them to walk the plank.

A clarification: Similar to - It is like this - You defend and assist your family member....but, the family member has selfishly engaged in activity that is not wholesome. ...and, the family member has engaged in the additional wrong of forcing other members of the family to go against core belief to protect the 'wayward one'. So you with a heavy heart and anger against the family member, offer help.

It is not fair to you and or the rest of the family to be put into this compromising position! ...but, it is family! The wrong-doer family member goes free...but, from your moral position 'he/she is a damn rat...and or even if not a rat, but was drawn into an act that he/she should have had the sense not to so drawn...disgusts...and, thus is 'kicked out'/banished/put behind/put out to pasture.

Portia may be in such a position as having to defend...give time to those involved to properly defend themselves...out of sense of 'family'. They may not have done something criminally wrong...but, morally wrong i.e. attempted to make 'unconscionable profits' from this gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  Why did PNP members keep Kern from talking?

The Editor, Sir:

The Gleaner headline, yesterday read, 'Kern wept'. As the story of the Cuban 'free' bulbs continues to unravel, we might see persons being arrested and charged.

Minister Clive Mullings stated that "this is not a question of irregularities; this raises questions of fraud". My God, my God. The scandals of the People's National Party (PNP) have followed it from government to opposition. Is it not fair to assert that with the PNP, there is no shortage of scandals?

Caught in the middle of all this is the young MP, Kern Spencer. I cannot say that I am not moved with compassion for this young politician. This story, however, is not really about compassion, it's much more than that.

Why did PNP members keep Kern from responding? Is it that they fear that if he opened his mouth the truth will pop out? Why did Mr. Pickersgill say, "Kern, Kern sit down"? This is a serious matter. Serious enough for Kern to weep, but obviously not serious enough for Paulwell to be daunted. Paulwell is no stranger to matters of this kind. By the way, where was Paulwell? Something is very wrong.

Victim of PNP wiles

I believe Kern has fallen victim to the wiles of the PNP. As it relates to the scandal, could it be that he was just taking instructions (from his elders)? Could it be that he was assured immunity to any backlash that might occur on the premise that the PNP would have returned to government? Could it be that a promise of a Cabinet position was enough motivation?

In the end, Kern is going to be as much a victim of the PNP as the Jamaican people. I, therefore, encourage Kern to talk. CALL NAMES. Speak the truth and nothing but the truth. In the same breath, let this be a lesson for all political representatives, "Don't ramp wid Jamaican people money."

I am, etc.,

DAREN S. LARMOND
                  The problem is this writer like many has already 'tried and convicted' Kern and other members of the PNP...and, is seeking what he is in his mind more criminals.

Kern will not live this down - even if found not guilty of any criminal charges. Rep in tatters!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    Political games? If the gleaner and other media houses took the time to do their own investigations like NNN have been doing, it would be clear that any claim of political games or witch hunt is nothing more than smoke screens.

Mosiah, when yuh going to learn that its hard to teach old .... know what mek me change it .... what gone bad a morning, cyaan come good a evening. You are looking for certain traits in Portia that does not exist. When yuh going to admit that?

The Gleaner editorial said this: The Government should not allow itself to be detained by charges of witch-hunts - charges which themselves may just be aimed at obfuscating the issues.

Comment

They also said:
                      The Government should not allow itself to be detained by charges of witch-hunts - charges which themselves may just be aimed at obfuscating the issues.

Comment

and this:
                        In all the controversy over this specific issue, the Jamaican public should not lose sight of what, at best, would be careless oversight, but quite possibly contempt for the offices of the Contractor General and Auditor General with regard to the awarding and management of this contract and, by extension, the public. How much debate and concern have there been throughout the life of the past PNP administration over procedural breaches in the awarding of contracts? How can the public be asked to accept that these are all mistakes?

Comment

The relevant question is what hold does paulwell have. Who him hold secrets for???

He has more lives than a cat!

Comment

Talk up yute. Dont tek the licks for Mr Teflon!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              They also said:
                              The Government should not allow itself to be detained by charges of witch-hunts - charges which themselves may just be aimed at obfuscating the issues.
                              Yes!
                              ...and, I agree!
                              In my mind it means the government should tackle that which the evidence suggests should be. It certainly does not mean continue on a path of witch-hunts!

Comment

Working...
                              X