• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuban light bulb scandal deepens

Cuban light bulb scandal deepens
    Former minister weeps as Fraud Squad called in

BY ALICIA DUNKLEY Observer staff reporter dunkleya@janmaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A distressed former minister wept openly amid news that the Cuban light bulb scandal, the latest to have burnt the previous People's National Party (PNP) government, has been turned over to the police Fraud Squad.

SPENCER. tried unsuccessfully to fight back the tears
    In Parliament yesterday, Kern Spencer, the young junior minister who had responsibility for the light bulb project, under Phillip Paulwell's Ministry of Industry, Technology, Energy and Commerce, had to be consoled by colleagues, as the new minister of energy, Clive Mullings, unveiled more discrepancies in the unfolding saga.

Mullings wanted to know why some $49 million was supposedly paid to Cuban volunteers on the project since Cuban authorities had said they would pay the stipends to their nationals who had volunteered to work in Jamaica to distribute four million free light bulbs.

He informed the House that the matter, which had previously been referred to the Auditor-General and the Contractor-General, had now been sent to the Fraud Squad and the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Saying that the situation smacked of "fraud", Mullings said he had been told that the Cuban social workers had come at the request of the then Jamaican Government, contrary to its later report that the involvement of the volunteers was "a requirement by the Cuban Government to ensure quality control".

The minister's statements brought fresh taunting from government members who yesterday demanded that Spencer explain the discrepancies. Spencer, looking subdued and distressed, seemed willing to make an attempt to clear himself, but was apparently dissuaded by his more seasoned colleagues.

This led to considerable taunting and cries of "Talk Kern talk. Tell Jamaica how it go". When the accusations subsided, the political neophyte who tried unsuccessfully to fight back the tears, was consoled by Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller and Member of Parliament Sharon Hay-Webster who went to be by his side.

Mullings, in his disclosure which first came to the attention of the House two weeks ago, said a breakdown of the payments made by Universal Management and Development Company Limited (UMDC), one of two companies now under probe in connection with the project, had led to the latest findings.

The energy minister said a review of the schedule of payments for the period July 21, 2007 to August 31, 2007 had shown that payments of $49.7 million were paid out by UMDC supposedly for transportation, stipend and accommodation for the Cubans, while on the day of the incorporation of the company $352,500 was paid out for car rental for the Cubans and accommodations at MICO Hostel.

"As I stated before, $85.6 million already disbursed to the UMDC is for this same period. I note with grave concern that based on the above summary, invoices submitted by UMDC are inclusive of the stipend for the Cuban volunteers," Mullings said.

He also demanded to be told "who authorised the overpayment and who UMDC paid the stipend to".

Attempts by several Opposition members, including former House Speaker Michael Peart and newcomer Peter Bunting to have Mullings curtail his statements since an official probe was underway, was spurned by the minister who also rejected a suggestion by former agriculture minister, Roger Clarke that "a supplemental stipend could have been paid".

"The member two weeks ago deferred responding to my statement. We are now here and to date we have had no response....Am I now to be stopped in my tracks because the member who elected to put off his response has failed to do so? I shall not remain silent," Mullings insisted.
    Mullings two weeks ago disclosed that some $114 million had already been paid to distribute the 'free' fluorescent bulbs.

At the time he called into question the lack of proper procurement procedures under the project with the involvement of UMDC, Caribbean Communications and Media Network Limited to which nearly $90 million was paid.

Mullings expressed discomfort with the fact that the two companies were allegedly not registered as contractors nor suppliers with the National Contracts Commission, and were only incorporated around the time the islandwide distribution of the bulbs began last year.

The government also demanded that the contents of the report on the project submitted to Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller by Spencer and Paulwell be shared.

However, the Opposition, in a release issued to the media, said the reports were now being examined by a small team, which is expected to deliver their findings by the end of this week.

The team includes Opposition members Drs Peter Phillips and Omar Davies, Senator A J Nicholson, party council secretary Easton Douglas, General Secretary Donald Buchanan and Lisa Hanna, information spokesperson.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Kern wept - Former State Minister jolted by Cuban bulb saga
    published: Wednesday | November 7, 2007

Daraine Luton, Staff Reporter

THE CLOUDS surrounding the distribution of 'free' Cuban light bulbs under the People's National Party (PNP) government before the September 3 general election got even more ominous at yesterday's sitting of the House of Representatives.
    Before the end of the sitting, Kern Spencer, the former Minister of State in the Ministry of Investment, Technology, Energy and Commerce (MITEC), who had direct responsibility for the project, wept.

Volunteers paid by Cuba
    Clive Mullings, the Minister of Energy, Mining and Telecommuni-cations, earlier, told the house that Cuba had in fact paid volunteers a stipend to help install energy-saving bulbs, which Cuba had given as a gift to Jamaica.

Mr. Mullings told the House that Universal Management and Development Company Ltd., a company which was incorporated shortly before the project started in 2006, had received payment of more than $49.7 million for the transportation stipend and accommodation of the Cubans.
    Mr. Mullings said that his checks with the Cuban authorities had revealed that Cuba had given its volunteers a stipend.

"I have had to, on behalf of the government of Jamaica, say to the Cuban authorities that we indeed, cherish the relationship that we have with them and will leave no stone unturned to have this cloud removed and dealt with," Mr. Mullings said.

On October 23, Mr. Mullings told the House of Representatives that it had cost Jamaica in excess of $276.5 millions in the distribution of free Cuban light bulbs.

The Contractor General and the Auditor General were called on to investigate the circumstances under which the last PNP administration accrued the questionable bill and yesterday, Mr. Mullings said that the Fraud Squad had been called upon to investigate. He also said the matter had been referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The Cuban government had donated four million of these bulbs. The PNP administration, according to Mr. Mullings, requested that the Cubans help in distributing the light bulbs. He said that the Cuban government expressed shock that Jamaica paid money, supposedly to the Cubans as well. The distribution of the bulbs commenced in 2006.

"This is not just a question of irregularities; this raises questions of fraud," Mr. Mullings stated.

An animated Mr. Spencer, who was seemingly kept from responding to Mr. Mullings' statement by PNP members, broke down in tears.

Obviously flustered, Mr. Spencer gestured many times as Mr. Mullings addressed the House and it was probably words from PNP chairman Robert Pickersgill, who took up position next to Mr. Spencer that kept the North East St. Elizabeth Member of Parliament from responding.

"Kern, Kern sit down," Mr. Pickersgill said at one stage after the House had erupted while Government members shouted "Talk Kern, talk ... defend yuh self yute!".

"Where is Paulwell?" James Robertson, the Member from Western St. Thomas enquired.

Phillip Paulwell, the Minister in charge of the Ministry at the time, was not in the house at the time but turned up one hour and 36 minutes late.
    But with some Government members prompting him to respond, even shouting at him, it was too much for Mr. Spencer. As he used his bare hands to wipe his teary eyes, three-time Member of Parliament Sharon Hay-Webster left her seat to rub him on the back.

Portia Simpson Miller, the Opposition Leader who projected herself as 'Mama' during the recent election campaign, also walked over to offer an encouraging word.

Mrs. Simpson Miller had demanded that her former ministers in the MITEC, Paulwell and Spencer furnish her with a report on the light bulb project.
    The report was submitted yesterday.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I'll be honest. After reading about him weaping on RJR last night, I did fell sorry fi him, then same time a Capleton tune kick off inna mi head,

Steely and Cleevie pon the Street Sweeper
      ~I'm on a mission mi say dis is my purpose,
      fi see the crook dem lock up .. YOW AGAIN!!!~
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I feel it for him too, but I feel it more for the beleagured Jamaican taxpayer and the unborn Jamaican babies saddled with more debt that they will have to contend with.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          I feel it for him too, but I feel it more for the beleagured Jamaican taxpayer and the unborn Jamaican babies saddled with more debt that they will have to contend with.
          Sorry fi taxpayers? Mi just switch from NNN to Independent Talk, (what a name) only to hear one female caller trying to blame the gov't for what is going on.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

Stockholm syndrome.
              Thats new to me. One a these days you'll have to explain it to me. Who knows, it may be applicable to some round here.

Comment

Oh what a tangled web
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Its when victims start to identify and grow attached to their kidnappers/hijackers. Even when police rescue them, they bawl for their kidnappers and sometimes refuse to help in the pursuit of the perps.

Comment

Its when victims start to identify and grow attached to their kidnappers/hijackers. Even when police rescue them, they bawl for their kidnappers and sometimes refuse to help in the pursuit of the perps.

Oh Lord have Mercy! Thats very similiar to BWS ... battered wife syndrome.

Comment

Jah know star, the least dem coulda do a mek Lisa Hannah console di man. If mi a bawl and see Portia and Sharon Webster a come fi console man me'da cry even more to rhatid.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Too funny!

On the other hand, Lisa Hanna is the most polished (and good-looking) information spokesperson ever!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What about Danny Buck ?

Comment

You find him good-looking?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh don't tink him is polished.. ?

Comment

Working...
                              X