PNP President to receive report on Cuban Light Bulb Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNP President to receive report on Cuban Light Bulb Project

A report is expected to be submitted to People's National Party (PNP) President Portia Simpson Miller Monday on the controversial issues surrounding the Cuban Light Bulb Project.

Former Energy Minister Phillip Paulwell and Kern Spencer, who was Minister of State, have until Monday afternoon to shed light on allegations of irregularities.

Mrs. Simpson Miller demanded the report two weeks ago after the Government raised the red flag due to what it said was unexplained expenditure amounting to millions of dollars.

The issue has grabbed public attention since Energy Minister Clive Mullings informed Parliament on October 23 that more than $200 million had been spent on the programme.

The 4-M project, as it is called, is intended to distribute 4 million energy saving florescent light bulbs across Jamaica.

The bulbs were supplied free of cost by the Cuban Government.

RJR News earlier reported that preliminary investigation carried out by the leadership of the PNP uncovered what appear to be irregularities in the operation of the programme.

The probe has reportedly left some party members very worried.

Following the Energy Minister's revelation Mrs. Simpson Miller called Mr. Paulwell and Mr. Spencer to an emergency meeting to discuss the issue.

In a statement, Mrs. Simpson Miller said she was treating the pronouncements by Mr. Mullings in and out of Parliament very seriously.

She ordered Mr. Paulwell and Mr. Spencer to provide a report and all supporting documentation by Monday.

When our news centre made checks Sunday night, we were told that information was still being collected for the report.

The Opposition Leader says on receipt of the information, she will determine what further action is necessary.

During his statement to Parliament Mr. Mullings announced that the programme would be investigated as there were questions about its implementation.

He said the project was not subject to the Ministry's internal controls, and that there seemed to be breaches of government's procurement guidelines.

It was reported that the previous Government had already paid out $114 million for the distribution of the bulbs.

Of this amount, $85 million was paid out to a company named Universal Management and Development Company Limited for various services.

According to Mr. Mullings, the entity is not registered as a contractor or supplier with the National Contracts Commission, and was only incorporated around the time the islandwide distribution of the bulbs started last year.

And Energy Minister Clive Mullings says more information could be made public on the Cuban Light Bulb issue when Parliament meets Tuesday.

He told RJR News that a statement is likely to come from the Opposition side.

"I would expect that because since the Leader of Opposition asked for a report by Monday one would expect something in Parliament by Tuesday," he said.

Mr. Mullings is also expected to get an update this week on the progress of the investigation by the Auditor-General and the Contractor-General.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Now, if the cartoonists dem have any sense, dem will show us a report done by toddlers doodling with crayons. Get it, the two of them in pampaz?

I know I'm in the wrong field!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Now, if the cartoonists dem have any sense, dem will show us a report done by toddlers doodling with crayons. Get it, the two of them in pampaz?

I know I'm in the wrong field!
      Well, dem get part of it right already ..

"Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

the gleaner one was better. the two of them were playing with a box of bulbs and they broke some of them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Just want know which prison dem sending Paulwell....
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

or juvenile centre.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

LOL!!!!
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Funny, but I was thinking that this will be a defining moment for the PNP based on how they deal with it. If there is any spinning and I mean any spinning then they can confine themselves to the dust bin for the foreseeable future.
                these guys just dont get it from the leadership right down to the ministers.
                They have no clue as to how pathetic and lick-licky they have become.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                  Funny, but I was thinking that this will be a defining moment for the PNP based on how they deal with it. If there is any spinning and I mean any spinning then they can confine themselves to the dust bin for the foreseeable future.
                  these guys just dont get it from the leadership right down to the ministers.
                  They have no clue as to how pathetic and lick-licky they have become.
                  Would it be funny if there was only 'smoke and no fiyah'?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    Like Trafigura? Some times I wonder if yuh have too much liquor in yuh coffee liquor.

Comment

There is already fire Karl. The question is how they are going to deal wth it. Certain facts are not in dispute ie ministers having ownership interest in the company being paid to distribute the bulbs without it going to any tender. It would seem this mindset became so ingrained that they didnt even bother to attempt to cover it in anyway. Licky-licky in the extreme. If the PNP supposed to the party of the black masses(another joke) then as a black me woulda ask dem is what did I ever do to dem mek dem a bringus down so I expect it from the complexionally challenged but damn.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        Like Trafigura? Some times I wonder if yuh have too much liquor in yuh coffee liquor.
                        Well is the Trafigura issue laid to rest? I thought not!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Well is the Trafigura issue laid to rest? I thought not!
                          Well, the crooks were not going to leave behind anything regarding Trafigura. This now ... if only they knew. If you had taken the time to listen to Cliff Hughes' network, you'd duh like the other comrades and ignore this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                            Well, the crooks were not going to leave behind anything regarding Trafigura. This now ... if only they knew. If you had taken the time to listen to Cliff Hughes' network, you'd duh like the other comrades and ignore this thread.
                            What did Cliff Hughes' network say? Bring me up to speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                              There is already fire Karl. The question is how they are going to deal wth it. Certain facts are not in dispute ie ministers having ownership interest in the company being paid to distribute the bulbs without it going to any tender.

Never heard this!

Comment

Working...
                              X