• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemeteries for the living

Cemeteries for the living
    published: Friday | November 2, 2007

Dennie Quill, Contributor

Readers from far and wide responded to my recent column titled 'Air Jamaica forgetting its mission', which criticised the airline's participation in a wedding promotion in Barbados. Most of the responses were constructive and valid. However, others have foolishly used adjectives like 'xenophobic' and 'hubristic' to describe my concerns.

Captain Ian Grant, presumably an Air Jamaica employee who claims superior factual base and analytical skills, said my arguments fell down on assumptions so he laid out the facts for me.

Fact one, Air Jamaica is the national airline of Barbados. The goodly captain said it was so designated by Gordon 'Butch' Stewart, head of the now defunct Air Jamaica Acquisition Group (AJAG). Parroting such idiocy long after AJAG has ceased to exist makes it easier for some people to digest.

I don't understand what this designation means in airline parlance, but as a Jamaican taxpayer, I understand what it means when the Parliament is called on repeatedly to inject new capital into a failing airline. Next time Air Jamaica needs more money, as it is bound to, we should make the case to Barbados and see what happens. A little reciprocity between Bridgetown and Kingston, perhaps?

Mandate to be profitable
    The other fact from Captain Grant is that Air Jamaica has a mandate to be profitable. Hello? Every well-thinking Jamaican recognises this as a pipe dream. Blindly repeating what officials say does no reality. Air Jamaica stands the slightest chance of being profitable in our lifetime. Therefore, if Air Jamaica is not to betray its own interest its raison d'etre is to take traffic to Jamaica. It ought not to be engaged in diverting prospective visitors away from Jamaica by participating in promotions that compete with our product. That's enough about Air Jamaica.

This week I had one of those 'I don't know what to make of this' moments listening to BBC news reporting on a plan to convert cemeteries in Britain into places for the living and not just the dead. A lobby group of British architects called on urban planners to build visitor facilities and walk-ins in cemeteries to encourage people to explore and exercise in these facilities, which are usually spread over many acres. One cemetery director spoke about erecting a café on one of these grounds.

I started thinking about the enormous historical value of cemeteries, including some of our own. Cemeteries in Port Royal and at the Jamaica Defence Force grounds, Up Park Camp, come to mind and they ought to be listed among our national treasures. We must do more to exploit their historical value.

Taboo against cremation
    Privately owned cemeteries tend to be better kept than public ones. Many public cemeteries languish in squalor as maintenance costs are high and the resources are never enough. But there has to be a way to deal with our dead with dignity.

Despite the cost of burials and real estate, there still exists a taboo against cremation so cemeteries and burial grounds will exist for many years to come. The last thing on the 'to-do' lists of parish councils is perhaps cemetery upkeep.

I once read about a judge in the United States who sentenced a reckless driver to two years of maintaining the grave of his victim as part of his punishment. Not sure that would work too well in Jamaica. Maybe parish councils should be looking to privatise cemeteries and allow businesses to recover their costs through innovative methods. For example, there could be organised tours of cemeteries. The operators could establish kiosks selling flowers and other items which visitors could place on the graves of their loved ones.

At the famous Laurel Hill cemetery in Philadelphia the Titanic Day festivities continue to attract sold-out audiences. Here where six victims of the Titanic are interred, there is an annual celebration, including a nine-course meal served by butler, dubbed the last supper aboard the ill-fated liner.

In urgent search for money to fund restoration, Laurel Hill and other cemeteries are rebranding themselves as destination necropolis for weekend tourists. Other events include, staging dog parades, bird-watching lectures, Sunday jazz concerts and brunches with star chefs.
    A new government in search of novel ideas may well take this advice to heart.

Dennie Quill is a veteran journalist who may be reached at denniequill@hotmail.com.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Cemeteries?

Before its time?
    I do not know???? I do know that we (my family) have reunions and visits and there is always time taken to visit the 'graves'. Think about past times with loved ones...what they meant...what they stood for...what they would say - words of advice and words of comfort...

...and, yes it is a bit of a festival...a happy time...a time during which the appreciating of what those who went before did...have done for us...and, wondering where did we 'come from'...generations long past...so there is history...a wondering...
    ...a wistfulness also...and...
    ...????
    Last edited by Karl; November 2, 2007, 09:10 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I agree about Air Jamaica and the cemetaries.

Unless other Govts will share in the losses, they cant expect to share in the benefits for free or cheap.

I understand when you get the National airline designation, it entitles the airline to more slots in the US....however, if that traffic is not coming to jamaica, who cares.

Now, if Mobay is to become an international hub and other Govts willing to chip in generously, then we can talk.

Jamaica first people!

Comment

Chinese culture dictates that one should go an honour the graves of ancestors.

However, the big Jakan Chinese cemetary is in Portia's constituency...Near Waltham and Hagley Pk road...a no go nowadyas. In former days, visiting Jakan Chinese who were determined would pay some protection money "guides" to go visit. A money spinners for area entrepreuers.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          I agree about Air Jamaica and the cemetaries.

Unless other Govts will share in the losses, they cant expect to share in the benefits for free or cheap.

I understand when you get the National airline designation, it entitles the airline to more slots in the US....however, if that traffic is not coming to jamaica, who cares.

Now, if Mobay is to become an international hub and other Govts willing to chip in generously, then we can talk.

Jamaica first people!
          Agreed!
          Wonder if Sass has changed course on his, 'AirJ must make a profit or be closed/dissolved'?

Comment

Like our urban transport system, I don't think Air Jamaica will ever be profitable, but they both can minimise their losses. I think they could a lot better than they are doing now.

The difference is, if we close JUTC, that's it! We are left to the mercy of Ezroy Millwood. If we close Air Jamaica, other airlines will simply take up the slack.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Brilliant Mo..

Go to the head of the class.

One point to recall though. No AJ and we subject to the viscisitudes of AA. Remember their strike that crippled the rest of the caribbean a few years back.

Time for MoBay to be a major rival hub to Miami. That is part of the grand scheme why the Heathrow slots were so vital. Nuff Central and Sth American would like to bypass the US for in-transit reasons as visas are a hassle.

At this point, we should look to twin AJ with bad-Bargain Virgin to bet global reach and to solidify the status of MoBay. Branson would have to sign in blood though, as the vision must be long term and the relationship robust.

Comment

Brilliant Mo...

Time for MoBay to be a major rival hub to Miami. That is part of the grand scheme why the Heathrow slots were so vital. Nuff Central and Sth American would like to bypass the US for in-transit reasons as visas are a hassle.
                That is so true about the visa hassle. Certainly, there must be room for another hub to rival Miami.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mobay has a loooong way to go before thinking of rivalling MIA...the airport is a mess.

Comment

Brilliant Mo..

Go to the head of the class.

One point to recall though. No AJ and we subject to the viscisitudes of AA. Remember their strike that crippled the rest of the caribbean a few years back.

At this point, we should look to twin AJ with bad-Bargain Virgin to bet global reach and to solidify the status of MoBay. Branson would have to sign in blood though, as the vision must be long term and the relationship robust.
                    Willi: What has happened has happened...if as you say we can broker deals to make Mobay a tremendous (my words -- nuff-nuff money down di road) hub and Heathrow is vital to such an action...then the government should go to it even if it means purchasing slots at Heathrow.

...but, I am wondering what that contract and contractural arragements with Virgin say? In cases such as this it is usual to have clauses which would prevent for a certain number of years any competition from the seller or entitites having arrangements facilitated by or engaged in as a partner and or co-owner and manager (...or, any such type thing) with the seller?

I wonder?

Comment

I guess we should get busy then!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

True,

but there is a business opportunity and a potential!!!

BTW, MIA is NOT a good airport...it is just big.
                        I avoid it like the plague.

Comment

Miami Airport must be one of the worst on the planet. I first went there in the 70s and never walked so much in my life to get from one terminal to the next. I am still doing that 30 years later! If they have a light rail system, it probably takes just as long to get there!

Of course, if Mobay is to challenge, it would have to increase in size, several fold! But whatever we come up with must be better than Miami.

Is there room for expansion for the Mobay Airport? We could bulldoze Flanker and Ironshore.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

LOL!!! Aah boy, bad mind a kill you....LOL
                            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

We dont even need to challenge them to be a success...Just a little scraps from their table...like say the carib and Latin American traffic going to Europe, Canada or intra-regionally.

They can keep the lion's share of the US-centric traffic and I would STILL be happy.

Time for us to start thinking big and maxxing out our potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X