BBC apologies after "black people in dark" comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC apologies after "black people in dark" comment

BBC apologises after 'black people in dark' comment Oct 31 02:11 PM US/Eastern
    The BBC apologised Wednesday after a top national radio presenter triggered protests by saying she could not see black people in the dark. Radio 2 DJ Sarah Kennedy made the comment when, during a discussion about winter road conditions on her morning show, she explained how she had almost run over a pedestrian.
    "You know what happened to me yesterday? It was this black guy. It's lucky he opened his mouth to yawn or do something and I saw him. He was wearing a black hat, black clothes and he was just invisible," she said.
    Listeners used BBC message boards to voice anger at the remark. "This is just one in a long line of irresponsible remarks from Sarah Kennedy, but the BBC don't have a problem with her," one said.
    Some defended her. "Leaving aside the fact she said 'until he opened his mouth', she was making a point that too many pedestrians (and I include myself in that) wear dark clothing at night," said another.
    But the BBC said sorry. "We apologise for any offence given and have spoken to Sarah Kennedy," said a spokesman.
    Earlier this year Kennedy, 57, raised eyebrows by slurring her words during a show.
    She notably offered to send "panties" to troops in Afghanistan and referred to the Princess of Wales wearing a "pink polka blot" dress. The BBC said she had a sore throat at the time.

Copyright AFP 2007, AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

So there was something wrong with what she did, obviously the reason for an apology.
    Is the apology enough?
    A gwaan watch lickle bit, if nothing significant happens,a gwaan boycott dem!

Blessed

Comment

But that is a common joke.

Is it because she is white ?

Can a black person make a joke about the paleness of white people without being called rascist ?

I guess only among friends ?

Insecurities is a hell of a ting.....

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
        But that is a common joke.

Is it because she is white ?

Can a black person make a joke about the paleness of white people without being called rascist ?

I guess only among friends ?

Insecurities is a hell of a ting.....
        Racisst slurs don't offend you but homophobic slurs do? Enlightening

Comment

On a serious note.....why do even care about this? It was a bit off color but this isn't even worth getting worked up over to rhatid. An apology is enough here. It is not like she pulled a Kramer or something. - T.K.
          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Working...
          X