• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica could lose 'top end' visitors who fly from Heathrow

Bartlett says Jamaica could lose 'top end' visitors who fly from Heathrow
    INGRID BROWN, Observer staff reporter browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007

TOURISM Minister Edmund Bartlett says Jamaica could lose some of its 'top end' visitors because of Virgin Atlantic Airways' decision to fly to Kingston from London's Gatwick Airport instead of Heathrow, where most of these guests opt to travel through.

"The Heathrow connection is critical to us because it brings the top end visitors and some of our properties like Round Hill and Half Moon, among others, rely on the traffic out of Heathrow for their particular clients," Bartlett told the Observer yesterday.

"The top end crowd don't use Gatwick so it will definitely start affecting us until we can sort it out," he said.

The minister said he was further distressed by the fact that the Heathrow slot would be used to transport clients to Barbados, which could put a further dent into Jamaica's tourism sector.

However, Virgin which is expected to make its inaugural flight to Kingston today, defended its decision to service Kingston from Gatwick, saying that travellers arriving at this airport would be able to use some of the best rail services in Britain, which run every few minutes into the heart of London and more frequently than services from Heathrow.

Paul Charles, Virgin's director of communications, told the Observer yesterday that the first flight from Gatwick into Kingston, which is scheduled to arrive around 2:30 pm will be full, with some 450 persons on board the Boeing 747 aircraft.

Charles said the airline's owner, Sir Richard Branson, will be in Kingston to meet the flight.

Bartlett has, however, maintained that the tourism sector would no doubt "be challenged by the absence of a direct flight out of Heathrow".
    "I personally felt a little embarrassed at the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) last week when my counterpart from Barbados gleefully announced to me that they (Virgin) will be coming there using their slots," the minister said.

Bartlett said based on these concerns, Jamaica Vacations (JAMVAC), is going to be very important in trying to get seats for Jamaica out of Heathrow in order to make up for this deficiency.

JAMVAC, Bartlett explained, is a company established primarily to provide seat support for charters and airlines to ensure that the spaces are available to bring visitors into the country.
    "They have a key role to play now in assisting us to get the traffic into Jamaica out of Europe," he said.

"As we go into Europe, and I will be going there next week to drum up support in that market, we need airlifts. As the saying goes 'people don't swim to Jamaica' and therefore, we have to have the means by which they get here," he added.

In May, Air Jamaica announced that it would discontinue its service to London, effective October 28, and enter into a code-share agreement with Virgin Atlantic under which the Air Jamaica code would be placed on all Virgin Atlantic flights between Jamaica and London Gatwick.

The sale of the national carrier's lucrative landing and gate slots at Heathrow International Airport in London to Virgin Atlantic also formed part of the deal which sparked controversy.

On June 1 of this year, then finance minister, Dr Omar Davies, announced that Jamaica had earned £5.1 million (US$10.2 million) from the sale, but said that the deal was still being negotiated.

Davies said that Air Jamaica lost US$27 million on the London route in 2006, and that projections were that the figure would have exceeded US$30 million in 2007.
    Last edited by Karl; October 30, 2007, 08:34 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    Bartlett says Jamaica could lose 'top end' visitors who fly from Heathrow

INGRID BROWN, Observer staff reporter
    browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007

On June 1 of this year, then finance minister, Dr Omar Davies, announced that Jamaica had earned £5.1 million (US$10.2 million) from the sale, but said that the deal was still being negotiated.

Soooo key questions are; Is the deal still being negotiated?
    Barlett - Claims that we are sorting this thing out!

What points and or things are being sorted out? Why no specifics on 'things being sorted out' from Minister Barlett?

...and, does that mean this JLP government has the task of successfully bringing the negotiations to conclusion?

Minister Barlett seems to suggest it is all up to the JLP to succeed or fail...right?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

No, the key question is can we trace the Swiss bank accounts to which commissions were routed for the 'give away' of the slots.

If man ah sam-fi from free bulb....

Comment

the conculsion is Omar soak us, sell us out fi two pieces of Silva. He didn't even talk to British Airways or any other airline about this and the money we got seems to be underpriced as many of the experts are saying.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
          No, the key question is can we trace the Swiss bank accounts to which commissions were routed for the 'give away' of the slots.

If man ah sam-fi from free bulb....
          Bwoy?!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Two piece ah Silva ?

Yuh nuh see how much yuh can get fi distribute free bulb ?

Comment

What a piece of utter rubbish...I dont buy into all this talk about Air Jamaica's pulling out of London will be a major loss.

I was on a flight from London in February last year that was delayed six hours after the loaded the plane-no announcement till 90 minute sinto the delay and ofcourse no apologies or make up as other airlines would have done...we were not amused to say the least and many people on the flight said they couldnt wait for Virgin to start flying here as they would never fly Air jamaica again.

And this six hour delay was not the exception, apparently there is at least three or four each month.

I know more than one frequent fliers who stopped flying Air Jamaica from London as they just could not depend on getting home on time and.

As for Bartlett's outburst, we need to ignore that, obviously he seems noit to relaise that Virgin offers a much better and luxurious flight than Air jamaica and even if we were still on the route Virgin would have taken most of the high end fliers anyways...
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                What a piece of utter rubbish...I dont buy into all this talk about Air Jamaica's pulling out of London will be a major loss.

I was on a flight from London in February last year that was delayed six hours after the loaded the plane-no announcement till 90 minute sinto the delay and ofcourse no apologies or make up as other airlines would have done...we were not amused to say the least and many people on the flight said they couldnt wait for Virgin to start flying here as they would never fly Air jamaica again.

And this six hour delay was not the exception, apparently there is at least three or four each month.

I know more than one frequent fliers who stopped flying Air Jamaica from London as they just could not depend on getting home on time and.

As for Bartlett's outburst, we need to ignore that, obviously he seems noit to relaise that Virgin offers a much better and luxurious flight than Air jamaica and even if we were still on the route Virgin would have taken most of the high end fliers anyways...

Yuh talk as if you know more than the Minister or is it you feel you must defend it?
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

LOL !!

Can reasoning be any more faulty than this ?

Do you believe reduction of airlift from London to Jamaica can be a major loss ?

Let me dumb it down further...Do you believe reduction of airlift from the BIGGEST hub in Europe, one of the busiest Airports in the WORLD to Jamaica can be a major loss ?

It must be possible to have Cult programming without destroying basic reasoning capabilities... I mean.. damn...

Comment

Working...
                  X