No announcement yet.

Don1 a people like this make the observer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sass, stop acting surprised. Whenever any thing is exposed, what is Karl's quick draw? That all a 'we' responsible. Ronald Thwaites and Ralston Hyman have a style to say the gov't needs to govern and stop the politicking. Reading this morning's gleaner, Lambert Brown is implying that this could be "a smokescreen by the gov't ... since food prices are going up!"

Some people aren't interested in the truth if its against their party and that include Mr. Roper.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Jamaica has too many Garnet Ropers and not enough Butch Stewarts.

Until we reverse that trend.. we will continue to be poor... the majority serving in Hell.

Comment

Selective patience...

Heh, heh.

Comment

so when the other hurricane them the price never go up?

isn't it a fact that there is a lot of shortage?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            there is no excuse for justifying the light bulb scandal. Let us hear from Paulwell and Spencer, a dat him fi ask for.

Same way them try fi justify Trafigura and until today Karl tek a que and a justify it.
            That is not true!
            Immediately I said I was troubled by it! ..and, if I am not mistaken that was before it blew up on this board.

What I have said is taking money from Trafigura is the same as taking from a local entity! Pay-off is pay-off! ...and, taking money is taking money!

Maudib for one, says (my words here) that taking a bribe from Trafigura is a bigger sin than taking a bribe from a local!

Many others also hold the view that being bribed by Trafigura is far worse than being bribed by 'the man down the road'. That just does nto make sense to me!
            Last edited by Karl; October 29, 2007, 11:16 AM.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

One million brilliant articles a week cannot keep any newspaper or media house afloat.

No where in the world does the sales of newspaper make any difference to the bottom line, especially in this era of internet and other sources of news.

The life line of any media house, with the one exception being the BBC, is advertising revenue.

Anytime that goes down, no publisher who is a sensible business person cannot afford to keep pumping money in a product that cant pay for itself.

As for the BBC, it is kept alive by the TV tax that every household in Britain pays every year and thus that is why you never see an ad on the BBC.
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

One thing you wrong about
                "No where in the world does the sales of newspaper make any difference to the bottom line, especially in this era of internet and other sources of news."

Don't discredit the power of the consumers cause if the newspaper don't have enough clients who buy or get the paper then why would the advertise spend money with them. When an advertise is going to spend big bucks he want to know how many people he or she is going to reach so if the clients stop buying then that can make a big difference.

other than that I share your opinion.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Garnet is a well known PNP supporter. No mystery there. He writes a weekly column in a marginal publication.

I would not compare him however in terms of power/impact with our media barons-- Butch, Oliver Clarke or Lee Chin. They have real power to influence society.
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

By the way that was taken from the Jamaica Herald and with bias article like that people will turn to the observer for their side of the story, that was what I mean't as people were saying the observer is biased.

I have no problem with the observer as I love some colomnist like the columist who worked for JIS, and the PMs(can't remember the name now) they have their fair share of PNP and JLP writers including Dennis Morrison and I like some of the articles written by one Paul Reid. .

Comment

And... ?

Your problem is ?

Comment

media barons

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                        One million brilliant articles a week cannot keep any newspaper or media house afloat.

No where in the world does the sales of newspaper make any difference to the bottom line, especially in this era of internet and other sources of news.

The life line of any media house, with the one exception being the BBC, is advertising revenue.

Anytime that goes down, no publisher who is a sensible business person cannot afford to keep pumping money in a product that cant pay for itself.

As for the BBC, it is kept alive by the TV tax that every household in Britain pays every year and thus that is why you never see an ad on the BBC.
                        Media barons do not necessarily maintain newspapers to make a profit....of course they would love to but it is not the only consideration. Profitability is often secondary. Many would sustain big losses to satisfy other objectives.

Media outlets are one of the "trophy" properties of any country. They are often purchased and maintained out of egomania.

Of course media can also be maintained to influence society. Often when businesspeople have made money in other sectors and come to invest in media... the motivation is rarely ROI in monetary terms. They get their return in ego satisfaction and the power of having a loud voice in society.
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

the fact is Roper just don't write a column, people like him is all over the airwaves. The PNP have a few active members who have a direct voice in the media including Ronnie Thwaites and this Roper fellow so Butch despite his money Butch ranting will only be seen as that.

Comment

Working...
                          X