October 24, 2007

The Honourable Minister Edmund Bartlett
    Minister of Tourism
    Ministry of Tourism
    64 Knutsford Boulevard
    Kingston

Dear Minister Bartlett,

Re: The mad rantings of Gordon 'Butch' Stewart

I draw your attention to Butch Stewart's highly charged emotional outburst correctly referred to by Cliff Hughes as a "nuclear missive" with the additional comment that "the writer was either very mad or is mad."

Butch Stewart has effectively made the case as to why John Lynch cannot be the Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board.

John Lynch is Butch Stewart's point man worldwide and it is self evident that the JTB is a possession that Stewart must now own and control with John Lynch as his surrogate, for the greater good of Sandals Resorts.

Please ignore Butch Stewart's angry, petulant, uncharitable and malicious attack on young McNeil who made a principled and straightforward objection on the grounds of conflict of interest.

Also, I ask you to ignore his attack on the P.N.P., Dr. Omar Davies, Aloun Assamba, and Dennis Morrison, as this attack against old friends is obfuscation and the rantings of an angry, bitter old man who now has "new friends in high places."

What you can't ignore is what Butch Stewart is really saying:

"I am untouchable, I am in total control of all I survey, I own the country, I own the people, and I own the Government. Anyone who criticizes me I will publicly excoriate and use the power of the media to destroy. Jamaica is my Banana Republic for me to do as I please . I ordered you as Minister to make this appointment and I will brook no Opposition."

This must be why he made the public announcement of John Lynch's appointment in his newspaper, the Jamaica Observer, even before the Cabinet had considered same.

Evidently the Jamaica Observer is now the Jamaica Gazette.

What he wants, he gets, or else…

That is why he summoned three (3) members of Jamaica 's Government Cabinet to the opening of a paltry 184-rooms Hotel in Antigua .

Most importantly you cannot ignore and must pay attention to Butch Stewart's upfront contempt and unconcealed hate for the Spanish Hotel investments in Jamaica .

This investment in thousands of new rooms and the revocation of his play toy 'Air Jamaica ' were the two (2) main things that turned him against the P.N.P.

His letter clearly demonstrates this and despite all his protestations shows his inability to effectively operate Sandals Resorts without Air Jamaica and the impact from new competition from Companies he cannot intimidate.

You need not worry about displeasing him as he can't return to the P.N.P. and he dislikes being out of the limelight and being ignored.

Ignore him and move on as it is guaranteed he will be abusing you sooner rather than later.

Your Tourism growth will only come from the new rooms as was demonstrated in 2006 a record year for Tourism arrivals and not from John Lynch and Butch Stewart.

Butch Stewart repeated attacks on the Spanish Hotel Investment in new rooms while he appeals for unity is laughable especially from him 'poster child' of divisiveness within the Tourism Industry (John Issa can give you a whole book on this).

Butch Stewart wants Tourism to be declared export Industry in order that the only contribution he will make in tax revenue to the Government will be by his non-union workers who must pay taxes.

John Lynch and Butch Stewart are enemies of growth within our Tourism Industry and both have publicly declared their position on the Spanish Hotels.

John Lynch is on public record agains the Spanish Hotels.

How can you possibly have this man chair the Jamaica Tourist Board and have the Spanish Hoteliers think that you and your Government have deliberately acted against them ensuring that they will treat your endearments as empty platitudes?

Butch Stewart can't live with competition and has not yet recovered from the loss of Air Jamaica 's contribution to his hotels, which left the Jamaican Tax Payer with $42 billion additional debt burden.

Butch Stewart should answer these questions: -

-Are you better off from 18 years of the P.N.P. Government?

-Were you better off with Air Jamaica as your main marketing tool and provider of inexpensive airlift into your Hotels?

-Why is it, you have to discount your Hotels by as much as 50% on USA national television and rob the small hotels of their rightful business?

-Tell us what premium brand you know that sells at ½ price? Rolex? Cartier? Mercedes Benz? The Dorchester Hotel, The Plaza Hotel or Black Label Scotch?

Maybe John Issa will help him with the response?

Don't give Butch Stewart the Jamaica Tourist Board.

The overwhelming majority of the J.H.T.A. members are against the appointment.

Listen to the vast silent majority who won't say a word, as they don't want to be subject to Stewart's nasty outburst.

I am,

Dr. Paulette Robinson

cc: His Excellency Jesus Silva, Ambassador of Spain to Jamaica
    Mr. Wayne Cummings, President of J.H.T.A.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Hmmm, she used the word "untouchable". Interesting!

I have mentioned this in the past - Butch stole every idea from Issa. From the all-inclusive concept, to the Breezes hotels. If it exists in his hotels, he got it from Issa. Indeed, after swearing that he would never set up a hotel in Cuba with Castro in power, Butch had go crawling into communist nation with tail firmly between his legs as Issa's two Cuban hotels were the talk of the town.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh ah talk dat? Mout radio
      tell mi say when di new wing fi sangster was being built dem go to di big wigs fi setup shop dere, dem throw scorn pon it. Is one likkle man did ah try ah ting. Now yuh cyaan walk good out deh; sofa, bed everyting dem climb ova ech other fi set upout there. So mi believe yuh mo.

Comment

Even the save the dollar initiative was an Issa idea....but there are posters here who will tell you that Butch is the best thing that ever happened to Jamaica since Columbus came here.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

A Cup of coffee at the Marguritaville shop in the new wing costs US$2.50 while the same cup of coffee in the local shop downstairs cost J$50
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Him ah go say ah nuh him own Margaritville,
            LOL mi body weak.

Comment

what is wrong with that? you simply nah fi buy it.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

so why Issa never do it? them have as much money as Butch
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Actually Issa's money was staying here and what Butch did was to stop sending ALL his money to his overseas accounts and then made a big song and dance over it.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

I know that actually 80% of the booking money may never see Jamaica and that is why I advocate a society where people come and spend money locally.

Comment

Working...
                    X