RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lynch confirmed for Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynch confirmed for Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB)

Despite widespread criticism, Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, yesterday confirmed that Sandals Resorts senior vice-president, John D. Lynch, will chair the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB).

Mr. Bartlett yesterday told members of the media during a press conference at the JTB headquarters, on Knutsford Boulevard, that his decision to assign the veteran businessman as chairman of the JTB was made after detailed assessments.

"It's a decision that is good for the industry," he said. "There is no one who has the experience, credentials and the track record with tourism and the JTB as John Lynch," he asserted.

Heavily criticised

Mr. Bartlett has been heavily criticised over the past week, mostly by the Opposition People's National Party (PNP), when it was speculated that Lynch was a shoo-in for the top job. The PNP, through its shadow spokesman, Dr. Wykeham McNeill, had argued that the choice was a potential conflict of interest.

It is an ironic twist since Gordon 'Butch' Stewart, who heads the Sandals Group, had heavily criticised the appointment of SuperClubs resorts chairman, John Issa, as head of the JTB in the 1980s, citing conflict of interest.

But, Mr. Bartlett was adamant that his choice was in the best interest of the tourism sector and the people of Jamaica.

Said he: "I am not swayed by the thoughts of any, in relation to him [Lynch] and his capability to serve Jamaica well. He knows this job well and he's done it well."

The minister added: "I want growth. For eighteen and a half years we've sat down in the cellar of two per cent growth. I am going to double-digit growth and I want a marketer to drive that and John Lynch is a marketer," he stated.

Mr. Bartlett was resolute that Mr. Lynch was "above reproach" and that any speculation that his role as JTB chairman would present a conflict of interest was totally without merit.

"I am not electing anyone to dominate a board. And if I concluded with any, that the new chairman is going to be the sole authority on the board, then I would be denying the capabilities of the people I'm appointing to the board," he said.

Joining Mr. Lynch as deputy chairman of the JTB is general manager of the Jamaica National Building Society, Earl Jarrett.

Other appointments

The minister has also named businessman Robert Russell as chairman of the Tourism Product Development Company Ltd., and tourism consultant, Godfrey Dyer, is to take over as the new head of the Tourism Enhancement Fund.

Mr. Bartlett said he has appointed experienced and capable individuals to spearhead his aim to develop and revolutionise the tourism product.

"They are all people who have a proven record. There is not a single person on any of the boards that has not had a proven record in the hospitality business or related financial business," he said.

Mr. Bartlett said he aims to increase the number of tourists who visit the island from two million to three million in under three years.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"I want growth. For eighteen and a half years we've sat down in the cellar of two per cent growth. I am going to double-digit growth and I want a marketer to drive that and John Lynch is a marketer,"

As I said yesterday, some people does not want the new gov't to do anything to prove that those they kept in power since 1989 were nothing but a bunch of incompetent clowns. Therefore they'll find all kind of reasons to oppose their moves from bitchin about one's complexion to who a fren wid who, even though they admit they're competent people.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X